Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 11th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Do you brush your dogs teeth.

Okay I have been bad. I have been brushing, bathing and cleaning Joeys ears on a regular basis. But I havent been brushing his teeth. Today I went and got him a toothbrush and a doggie toothpaste and also a denta bone.

How often should I brush once a day, twice a day, are dentabones meant to clean their teeth can they be used in place of a toothbrush or should I do both.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old October 11th, 2005, 08:06 PM
-

3-5 times a week is recommended.
The dog toothpaste is enzymatic so just getting it in the mouth works. You can brush every individual tooth inside and out if you want but it is not needed.
Lift up the top lip. Slip the toothbrush down the side while you take the other hand and place one finger on nose and thumb on chin. This will keep the mouth somewhat closed but more importantly keep the top and bottom teeth together. Brush in a circular motion up and down the side a couple times. Put some more toothpaste on and do the other side, easy 20 sec.
Old October 11th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Personal servant to Joey

I just tried brushing his teeth Joey hated it. He doesnt seem to mind me sticking my fingers in his mouth though. You did say it just had to touch the teeth. So I could probably just rub it on his teeth with my finger and that should be okay.

Old October 11th, 2005, 08:34 PM
-

Yes, they usually love the toothpaste so you could start with your finger.
Old October 11th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Senior Contributor

My vet reccomended doing it in stages: 1)put some on your finger and just let him suck on it 2) put some on your finger and rub it on his teeth 3) put some on a toothbrush and let him suck on it 4)put some on a toothbrush and brush his teeth.
Also, I've read in a lot of places that you can let him chew on a chunk of hard root vegetable to clean off his teeth.
Old October 11th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Joey likes carrots I assume that is a hard root vegtable. I let him have one a few times a week.

Old October 11th, 2005, 09:24 PM
-

I teach this in all my classes and very few are not able to do it right away. It does however take some coordination on your part but that comes with practice. With dogs who haven't had their mouth handled and have a real problem with you putting your hands in their mouth then I request that they start and in the mean time to get the toothpaste in I suggest they place a dab of toothpaste on the tip of their nose. Most dogs will lick and lick until they get it all off.

I have even used the electric doggy toothbrush on puppies and adult dogs with no trouble. What ever you do, don't try to hold them down to do it.
Never use a human toothbrush on a dogs teeth, there are metal flecks in it that are too hard on the enamel of their teeth. Also don't use human toothpaste, it is toxic to dogs. You are not even supposed to swallow it, and well dogs don't usually know how to spit.
There are finger toothbrushes that you can get that fit over your finger and are quite easy to use.
Old October 11th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Has got it going on

^^^I use a baby toothbrush for Sadie. It has Cinderella on it.

It's impossible to find a doggy toothbrush that fits her little tiny mouth! The vet said it was fine, as well as in canine health books. She loves having her teeth brushed. I call it "Treats", she'll actually beg for it!
Old October 12th, 2005, 09:45 AM

I used to brush Ebony's teeth every day and the vet would always comment how lovely and white they were at her check ups! I recommend the poultry flavored toothpaste, dogs love that. Unfortunately, now I'm in an apartment and Ebony's living at home with my parents (she could never be an apartment dog) and they won't brush her teeth at all EVEN THOUGH I've shown them how easy it is!

~LM~
Old October 12th, 2005, 09:49 AM

Misty loves her toothpaste! As soon as she sees me grab the tube she goes crazy! She thinks it is some sort of treat.

I find that the finger toothbrush is a little better in that it is easier to stick your finger in their mouths to brush than having to worry about a long toothbrush. It works better for me and Misty since all she wants is to eat the toothpaste, not have her teeth brushed.

Going in stages as previously recommended is the best way to get a dog accustomed to having their mouths and teeth handled.
Old October 12th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Tucker loves having his teeth brushed. When I first got it, I put the paste (poultry) on my finger and let him taste it... then I used the finger brush - then the real doggy toothbrush - didn't take long. 1-2 nights. Now when I get the paste/brush, he runs along side me and sits - ready for dental care! I brush them about 3 times a week. Otherwise he get carrots and dental bones.

now, if I could just get the cats to be so cooperative....
Old October 12th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Formerly known as Grover4

Spencer loves the paste but I can't give it to him right now as we are testing him for food allergies. I guess I could try to use just the brush but then the best part would be gone.
Old October 12th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1313
I used to brush Ebony's teeth every day and the vet would always comment how lovely and white they were at her check ups!
~LM~
That's funny, because I didn't brush Layla's teeth at all for the first 7 months of having her (yes yes I know, I'm a horrible person ) and the vet would always comment on how loevly and white they were at her checkups!
Old October 18th, 2005, 11:53 AM

I bought some disposable gloves, with tooth brushes on the fingers on the weekend. Much easier than trying to use the toothbrush on my dog. I believe the brand name one the gloves is Petrodex, and I bought Petrodex toothpaste as well. I noticed you mentioned Joey will let you put your fingers in his mouth, maybe give the gloves a try

They are supposed to work good on cats too.
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.