Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 20th, 2013, 09:17 PM

Kitty not eating and losing weight

So last week, my friend, who lives with me, noticed that her cat wasn't eating very well and he seems to have lost a bit of weight. We have an appointment for him first thing Tuesday but, a couple of years back, one of my cats died very suddenly from a fast growing tumor in his belly which ruptured (he had been to the vet less than six months before but he went from me noticing he wasn't eating to being dead in a week - he hadn't even lost any weight at that point).

In any case, my friend is a basket case expecting her kitty to drop dead before Tuesday. He's eating a bit (a few bites a few times a day) and he's definitely lost a small amount of weight. He's never been a very big cat though. In general, he shows up for feedings, eats a few bites, then loses interest. He seems to feel fine based on his mood and affect - he's not acting lethargic and not showing any other sign of discomfort.

I'm just wondering if you all might have some words of comfort for my friend. She's terrified and teary-eyed most of the time. Any thoughts? If it weren't a holiday tomorrow, we'd take him in tomorrow but maybe it's an emergency?
Old January 20th, 2013, 10:35 PM

How old is the cat?

Is he drinking normally?

Is he peeing normally?

Has he pooped recently? Was it of normal appearance?

Did she change brand/flavour of food recently?

Has she tried tempting him to eat? Cheese, people food ie chicken, deli meat, cheerios, catnip, a wee dab of butter, a different cat food

Any manufacturer changes to the smell/texture/consistency of the food he's eating?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 20th, 2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
How old is the cat?
11 or so. Maybe 12. Not much older

Quote:
Is he drinking normally?
Mostly. He takes a sip whenever I turn on the faucet (which is certainly like him) but maybe a little less than usual.

Quote:
Is he peeing normally?

Has he pooped recently? Was it of normal appearance?
She says he doesn't seem to be backed up at all (pee or poo) but no idea about the appearance - there are a number of cats in the house so it's hard to tell which is his. We'll try to keep an eye out.

Quote:
Did she change brand/flavour of food recently?
Nope. In fact, we first noticed the not eating thing when he seemed disinterested in his favorite treats.

Quote:
Has she tried tempting him to eat? Cheese, people food ie chicken, deli meat, cheerios, catnip, a wee dab of butter, a different cat food?
Chicken baby food - showed interest but ate less than a teaspoon. Sour Cream (generally a favorite) - same thing, initial interest but a tiny bit is all he'll take.

Any manufacturer changes to the smell/texture/consistency of the food he's eating?
No changes.
Old January 20th, 2013, 11:26 PM

Is he drooling/vomiting/hacking up hairballs?

Any tenderness around his mouth/teeth? Is his personality such that he would let her look in his mouth without biting?

Any tenderness in/around his stomach or when picked up?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 21st, 2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Is he drooling/vomiting/hacking up hairballs?
No vomiting, drooling, or hairballs.

Quote:
Any tenderness around his mouth/teeth? Is his personality such that he would let her look in his mouth without biting?
He would probably let her look. He's not acting like there's tenderness unless not eating is a sign of tenderness (which it obviously might be).

Quote:
Any tenderness in/around his stomach or when picked up?
None at all. I massaged it a little and, though he's never been one for belly rubs, he didn't draw away, growl, or show any discomfort. I didn't feel anything either but I only would if it were something particularly new and different.

She is very much hoping that he's just got a bad tooth or something but when she called to schedule the vet, he said it was unlikely to be the problem.
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:15 AM

I lost one of my dear friends to a tumor last week. I had been syringe feeding her for a week before the exploratory surgery and put her down when the Vet. found how extensive the tumor was.

I do realize that that was an extreme case. Most cats will stop eating from time to time for many many reasons. The chance of some type of cancer is estimated to be between 1 and 4%. That is a 96 to 99% chance that it is not a tumor.

Tumor is the least likely cause.
Hairball is the most likely.
Put a glob (1/4 teaspoon) of Vaseline on her paw and she will lick it off. That might get things moving before she can get to the Vet.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinskitties View Post
No vomiting, drooling, or hairballs.

He would probably let her look. He's not acting like there's tenderness unless not eating is a sign of tenderness (which it obviously might be).

None at all. I massaged it a little and, though he's never been one for belly rubs, he didn't draw away, growl, or show any discomfort. I didn't feel anything either but I only would if it were something particularly new and different.

She is very much hoping that he's just got a bad tooth or something but when she called to schedule the vet, he said it was unlikely to be the problem.
Have you changed brands of food ?
Could be constipation, I just went through that with my 9 month old kitten. He just stopped eating and I notice he hadn't done any "business in his litter box either...Go to the vet and have them do an xray of the belly..