Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 18th, 2002, 11:30 PM

Unhappy ear infection in my rottie

My 7 year old Rottie- Trey has what I believe is an ear infection and I just don't what know what to do. I spent this evening surfing the net for any information on alternatives to antibiotic treatment and a costly trip to the vet that I just can't afford. I read something about colloidal silver and chinese remedies but these articles are from sites that also sell the products so I really don't know what is effective. Others state that antibiotic therapy is the only remedy. I just feel so bad and know that there is something out there to help him! I love him so much and know that he is in great discomfort. Does anybody have any suggestions???
Old November 19th, 2002, 10:58 PM

You must take your dog to the vet. There is no way you can know whether it's an ear infection, mites or some foreign body in the ear and it is VERY PAINFUL whatever it is. It is most likely that he will need antibiotic treatment and the sooner you do it the better, it is only going to get worse and you may end up with a deaf dog or worse, if it is an infection it could spread to other parts of the body via the blood. If I were you I would not mess around trying to find a cheaper and maybe unsound cure for the problem. Don't delay your dogs treatment. Unfortunately if you own a dog then veterinary costs are part and parcel of the package. I also own a Rott and they are the most trusting and loving dogs. Your dog is relying on you to provide him with proper treatment. Please do it. I consider that this would be top priority for my dog above and beyond any other monetary costs.
Old November 20th, 2002, 04:48 PM

advice

if he is just scratching his years
than clean them up with swabs
but if it's not just scratching than take him to the vet