Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old November 30th, 2006, 05:48 PM

Lost German Shepherd - Ottawa area

Jace went missing from Ottawa area (Walkley and St. Laurent) on November 13th. He is neutered, microchipped, and extremely shy and timid. Was last seen on November 22nd heading north on Anderson Road in Ottawa area. Please call Yoko/Dave at 613-425-0070 (24/7) or Don/Marthe at 613-523-8558.
Old December 1st, 2006, 01:00 AM
Agility Addict

OMG that's horrible! I drive on Anderson quite often so I will keep an eye out...but since he's so timid, I doubt I'll have any luck
I hope he's found soon!
Old December 2nd, 2006, 08:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Jace is a very handsome boy,you must be beside yourself:sad:
Please go personally to all the shelters,often some shelters don't even check for a microchip,posters and more posters everywhere
I am sure others in the Ottawa area will give you some helpful advice.
that you'll find this beautiful boy
Please let us know if he is found,we love happy homecomings:love:
Old December 4th, 2006, 03:44 AM
-

I agree....make sure you go to the SPCA/shelters/pound in person every day. Good luck.
Old December 4th, 2006, 07:14 PM

I'm glad to see this boy posted here as well.

This is such a sad story. Jace was lost just 10 days after he was finally in a new home after spending his entire life in the shelter.

He really needs to be found.

Lissa, please keep your eyes open.
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Grimm,a sad story indeed,something similar to our Maddie,who eventually was found,I believe she was gone for more than a month..
Hopefully like with Maddie someone is feeding Jace and he'll soon be returned home
Old December 5th, 2006, 05:33 PM

I'm so glad to hear that you found Maddie, that gives us all hope that Jace still might be found. Thank you Chico2. Apparently there were some sightings of Jace by garbage disposal workers that owners just found out about, so they are not giving up.
Old December 5th, 2006, 06:09 PM
-

Don't give up. Maddie was also very shy and timid. She went missing on Sept. 23/06 and wasn't captured until Nov.7/06. I've posted the link to her story in case you can use some of the tips.

Fingers and paws crossed for Jace's safe return.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30964
Old December 5th, 2006, 06:53 PM

Oh my gosh, this is so close, it's unreal. Almost right after Maddie was found Jace went missing just few blocks away. Maddie went missing at Walkley & Bank, Jace went missing Walkley & St Laurent.

Jace was last seen in the Mer Bleue Bog area.

Thank you Rainbow
Old December 6th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Grimm,many tears were shed over Maddie,by people who did not even know her and everyone was elated when she was finally safe:love:
The same is for Jace,I am sure everyone here is he will be found and we'll have another happy ending
Please keep us updated about beautiful Jace
Old December 6th, 2006, 12:16 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I'll be in the area on the week-end. I've printed this poster. Will also keep an eye out. for her safe return.
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:40 PM

Thank you all. Thank you Golden Girls. People who are actively looking for Jace believe that he is in a large unpopulated area called Mer Bleue Bog. It might've been him seen by garbage disposal crew on two occasions. There is another City crew that is inspecting any damaged wires and broken trees after the storm on the lookout for him. People looking for him followed footprints of a large dog in the snow but lost it in a boggy terrain.

It is so good to know that so many people are willing to help. Jace NEEDS to be found!

Golden Girls, here is another contact Yoko/Dave at 613-425-0070 (24/7). Please contact them when you are in Ottawa, they seem to be coordinating the search.

As I understand from the posts on another forum Jace spent most of his life in the shelter in Montreal, was taken by a local rescue and adopted out and bolted from their house just 10 days later.

This is the last flyer as posted on another Forum.

I'll keep you updated.
Attached Images

Old December 6th, 2006, 03:56 PM
-

Are they leaving food out for him? Is there any way a trap can be set?
Old December 6th, 2006, 04:35 PM

Yes, I think that they are leaving the food out even though they were advised against it. This area has many coyotes and they were concerns expressed that if atracted, they may pose problems for Jace. I don't know how true that is.

I am in Toronto myself and have no way to physically help with the search in that awful cold Ottawa weather and can only do some cross-posting here and there. I just feel very sorry to think of this lost, terrified dog somewhere in this cold. Many years ago I lost a dog myself, and we were never able to find her and this haunts me to this day. She was also very shy and scared of strangers. This was before the Internet and other means available now.
Old December 6th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

grimm,I am happy to hear so many people are looking for him and like you,the first thing I think about is,Jace alone,scared,hungry and cold and it's heartbreaking,please,please someone find him
Old December 6th, 2006, 05:10 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimm View Post
Golden Girls, here is another contact Yoko/Dave at 613-425-0070 (24/7). Please contact them when you are in Ottawa, they seem to be coordinating the search.
ok I will. I do hope however he's found b4
Old December 7th, 2006, 01:06 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimm
Yes, I think that they are leaving the food out even though they were advised against it. This area has many coyotes and they were concerns expressed that if atracted, they may pose problems for Jace. I don't know how true that is.
They were leaving food out for Maddie and she was in the same area. I think that's what helped to keep her there and not wander away in search of food.

Poor Jace....I hope he is caught soon.
Old December 7th, 2006, 09:39 AM

I'm so happy that Maddie got caught. Problem with Jace is that there are very few sightings of him. He is either hiding or moved elsewhere. Though so close where Maddie was, the area where he was last seen is very large and parts not accessible to people because of the bog. Food that was left in areas with large dog footprints was not touched even by wildlife. This is very discouraging to people searching actively. It is going to be extremely cold again tonight and I can only hope that he has some little hiding place where he can keep himself from freezing.
Old December 7th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Grimm,I am sorry there is no good news,I hope people don't give up on him,with Maddie I thought for sure she was dead somewhere,she was missing such a long time,but luckily I was wrong.
German Sheperds can handle the cold pretty well,I was told,don't know if that is true?
Grimm,who are you in relation to Jace??are you a shelter-person or simply a very concerned animal-lover,like most of us?
Old December 7th, 2006, 08:08 PM
-

Please tell everyone not to give up on Jace. Are they still checking the SPCA/shelters/pound in person every couple of days?

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old December 7th, 2006, 08:34 PM

This is a very nice group here. Yes, I think that German Shepherds are tough dogs.

I never met Jace Chico2. He was posted as missing on TGSDR board by a girl named Yoko asking for help with search and crossposting. Jace had a very sad life. I'm in Toronto, so I was just able to send some emails & crosspost on Pet Talk. He was already posted here and on gsddotcom by others so I try to keep the threads up. You never know who might happen to read it. It looks like there are many Ottawa people on this board. I have a shepherd myself, I just got him in May from someone that was moving & could not take Grimm with them. He's an awesome dog. True shepherd.

Rainbow, it was posted that owners or fosters are very discouraged and physically & mentally exhausted searching every day for 3 weeks. Apparently Humane Society told them that he could be in Montreal or Toronto by now. They said that this weekend will be the last one of searching physically. They'll continue visiting shelters & wait for calls. Sad.
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:53 PM
-

That is sad and I'm really sorry to hear that. :sad: Did they read the posts here about Maddie's story?
Old December 8th, 2006, 07:49 AM

It's -25C this morning in Ottawa.......hopefully Jace is somewhere warm...

Reading about these lost dogs hurts so much - I hope Jace finds his way home soon...
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's Grimm,it's true,he could be anywhere:sad:
German Sheperds have something very special about them,I once had a German Sheperd/Chow cross,he was a great dog.
In -25C,I would imagine even a tough dog would be in danger:sad:
Please keep us updated of any news,it's a heartbreaking situation:sad: we just have to have a happy ending
Old December 9th, 2006, 08:43 AM

*bump*
Old December 9th, 2006, 11:18 AM

Local authorities will not allow the trap in the area as there is too much wild life that could be caught instead, like coyotes.

There is also a reward now offered for sighting leading to Jace capture. Maybe that will motivate people to call right away. Couple of callers did not call immediately even though they saw posters.

Hope that this weekend will bring at least some hope so the search is not abandoned.
Old December 9th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Me too
Old December 9th, 2006, 02:56 PM
-

Fingers and paws crossed here.

C'mon Jace....give us some hope.
Old December 9th, 2006, 03:23 PM
An Honest Contributor

I'm going 1st thing in the morning and will def look out for him. Grimm, please check your PM box. Thanks

Everyting for Jace
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

GG,would it not be fantastic if you would find Jace,we would all be drooling with happiness:love:I know I would be exstatic..