Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old May 30th, 2009, 05:42 AM

Rescue workers, Torontonians...

I think you need to see this. I hate posting bad news stories, but if you didn't already know something was wrong at the THS, you might want to read this. There are two more articles on this topic coming, although I don't know when.
Warning: this article contains a disturbing picture, and links to disturbing pictures

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1160810/
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-

Last edited by ownedbycats; May 30th, 2009 at 05:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Molly's mama

wow, that is a SCATHING article!!! Hopefully some good will come from it. Poor kitties and pups that had to live through that treatment
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:14 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

OMG, hopefully shedding some light on this situation will get some people in high places to act! It took a while to bring Barnotti down in Montreal, but they did Hopefully this guy will fall too

In the meantime, hopefully these poor souls can be spared their needless suffering

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:27 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

A shelter in crisis, more like a shelter in hell

Very disturbing and this is only Part 1 of 3 Wtg to all who came forward and for getting media's help. Because of the media our MSPCA forced Barnoti who then ran the show just like this Trow to resign. this exposure will do the same

Thankfully for Harley he was an unadoptable mistake, so sad soooo many others suffered without medical treatment.
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow. I live near Toronto, and never even heard of this.

ACO22
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:36 AM
-

wow , this is "deja vu" :sad:
Old May 30th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Meaghan Edwards

Unbelievable. I knew things were going bad and heard about that poor cat dying in it's cage, but the photos really took me aback.

I hope the OSPCA charges the place with animal cruelty. Also, the money they spend on this idiotic court case against the Hamilton SPCA could be spent on, ya know, taking care of the animals. You just know they'll also trying to sue The Globe as well. Anything for ill-spent money.

They've also became waay too PeTA like for me. Saying coyotes are better off shot than at the Toronto Zoo . . .

Last edited by Mom_Of_Two_Dogs; May 30th, 2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom_Of_Two_Dogs View Post
Saying coyotes are better off shot than at the Toronto Zoo . . .
I believe that was the Toronto Animal Services that wanted to shhot them. They deal with Animal Control. It was THS who wanted to save the coyotes. It was not until the public made an uproar about the coyotes plight, that TAS changed their minds to wanted to now save the coyotes.

But, no I am appauled by THS and I am not defending them by no reasons, but I do think at this time, they need the community to come together and help put an end to how things are run, not just ignore THS and turn a blind eye. Community does play a hugh factor in finding a solution to make sure our animals are safe and cared for.

ACO22
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Senior Contributor

This is just horrifichere i was thinking THS was a good place for animals,the only thing I did not like about them was the free-for-all they have ever now and then.
I really hope someone will step up for these poor babies
Old May 30th, 2009, 06:15 PM
-

I had heard about this kind of thing happening over the last several years, but put it down to one place bashing another....sadly it seems it was true :sad:
Old May 30th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Meaghan Edwards

With regards to coyotes, from their site . .. "Isn’t it just as bad for a wild animal to be locked up in a zoo as to be shot?" Not if the zoo looks after it's animals better than many pet owners, as the case is in Toronto Zoo.

THS saga is also being discussed here:

http://onebarkatatime.blogspot.com/
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:39 AM

Part 2

Here is the link to part 2 of the Globe's story on the THS:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1162134/
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:13 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

The president's response:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1162212/

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:29 PM
Senior Contributor

hmmm what to think, what to think??

Have to tell you that is very easy to be a critic from the outside. Once you are an administrator on the inside, one's dreams and intentions become just that.

Whenever there is change, there are 'buckers'. It is hard to see who is right or wrong.

But let me ask this question....do they let animals go into rescue groups to bring down their numbers and thus euthanasia rate? Does anyone know? If so, I can forward a few rescues in Ontario that want so much to help.
Old June 1st, 2009, 02:03 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

I have to say, this sounds abit off to me, both of my sisters have volunteered at THS and nothing like this was ever mentioned. My partner and I go on a regular basis and i have never seen filth in the animals cages, or sick animals on display. When i adopted my ferret there, i was taken right into the hospital ward and i found it clean and the animals seemed well attended to.

I'm with Benmax, who do you believe.
Old June 1st, 2009, 02:16 PM
-

I've heard stuff over the years and know people that have worked at the THS....but it is just hearsay .....one thing I have heard again and again is that animals that are really sick, although being taken care of, maybe should have been let go :sad:

As far as working with rescues Benmax, there are a huge amount of Pitties etc, that have been there for a very long time, so maybe they don't work with rescues.

Their adoption pages at one time listed the date of entry of each animal, they no longer do that.
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
As far as working with rescues Benmax, there are a huge amount of Pitties etc, that have been there for a very long time, so maybe they don't work with rescues.

Their adoption pages at one time listed the date of entry of each animal, they no longer do that.
If anyone has any pull or contacts with them, please let me know and I can ask rescues to pitch in to bring down their numbers. Moving season is approaching and they will be in a worse position shortly.
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I tend to agree with Aslan and BenMax,I've never been there,have not seen it for myself.
If something as terrible was going on,wouldn't outsiders notice
I know no-kill shelters,like ours in Oakville,only euthanize after the animal has been given every chance to live,but maybe sometimes euthanezia is the kindest thing
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:22 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I think I also have to question the valkidity of the report?? I have never seen the THS personally but I will tell you this. I donate to Toronto and not alot to Hamilton because THS is a no kill facility from what I know and people involved in rescue that have pulled dogs out of shelter like THS. In the Hamilton area the HBSPCA is very often confused with the Animal Control Office which is located in the same building as the SPCA. If you take an animal into Animal Control it most likely will die. If you go to the SPCA portion it is a 100% no kill. Many confuse the 2.

I have to wonder if it is as bad as it says why would people like Tre Smith one of the investigators not take action?? If you care enough as an officer I think this type of activity would bother those people?

As for their administration and how adoptions work etc etc I cant really comment because I dont know. I have only heard the positives.

I mean that just built a huge complex to house many many cats! why would they do that when they could freely euthanize? I had also heard that they have times when you can almost get a cat for free??

I just dont know.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I was also thinking of Tre Smith,but could not remember his name(old age)would he work for a place that let animals suffer??
Old June 1st, 2009, 05:09 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I was also thinking of Tre Smith,but could not remember his name(old age)would he work for a place that let animals suffer??
I was thinking the exact same thing, chico. I don't think he could work for a place that neglected animals in their care.

Tre is my hero

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 1st, 2009, 05:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with people on here, there are two sides to every story.

While, yes pictures say a thousand words, sometimes there is more into it. For instance, the grey and white cat in the cage with a bowl waterdown food and a syringe in it.

When I looked at this picture, yes I see a cat that looks really bad. However, how do we know that this cat did not just come and while waiting to see the vet, the staff was forcing feeding it, because it wouldn't eat on it's own?

Gosh, you should have seen the stray that I picked up on my nightshift. I transported him to the Emerg, he looked so beat up and very thin. Plus he was bleeding from his nose. When I go to the emerg they did a quick assessment and put him in a cage. If the media were to walk by and see this, they would have went into a rage.

Not everything is black and white. Just because you see something for a second, it doesn't paint the whole the picture.

Also, to the vets that are still working there and claiming that they can not do anything. They are vets. Vets have a code ethics that if an animal is in distress, they have the right to overide the owner or caregiver of that animal, or they could be charged.

ACO22
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
Also, to the vets that are still working there and claiming that they can not do anything. They are vets. Vets have a code ethics that if an animal is in distress, they have the right to overide the owner or caregiver of that animal, or they could be charged.ACO22
Actually, that is not true. If a vet finds an animal in "immediate distress", and the owner's or caregivers won't treat the animal, they then have to report it to an SPCA or OSPCA Investigating Officer, and that officer can remove the dog/cat from the owner's care.

A vet cannot just take anybodys cat/dog away. I wish they could, but they can't.

So in the case of the THS, the vet's hands are tied.
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:15 PM

There are two sides to every story, but a lot goes on behind closed doors before the THS is open to the public at 11am.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:57 AM

Part 3

Last section of the story:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1164168/
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:22 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I doubt the THS works with rescues considering the amount of secrecy that appears to be going on. They also do not have a no-kill policy and although I've never been inside I'm cricting from what I'm reading so far in this investigation ...

A fundraising employee, Vets (who say the THS violates their Professional Oath's), Vet Tech's, former and present staff, former and present employees QUIT - some quoting their conscience is compromised ...

It's said animals are suffering and dying in their cages from neglect (low euthanization rates = good for fundraising) One quoted: There should be a column for "Died in Cage Neglected" ...

Mismanaging funds, short of meds and supplies ...

No transparency or accountability ...

And although everyone must sign confidentially agreements (applies two yrs after being fired or quit) some are risking their present jobs and others may be liable for a suit yet speaking to The Globe ...

The Globe quotes: "Former employees and volunteers describe volunteer president Tim Trow as a man whose grip on the Toronto Humane Society has hurt the very animals he strives to protect" as Frenchy said "Deja Vu" ...

Who do I believe ... when workers are saying the suffering they see is too great to remain silent - speaks volume :sad:
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:42 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

OMG I just can't read any more of this...even if HALF of it is true it is still too unbearable to imagine

It happened here in Montreal and took a news expose to bring it to the forefront after many many years of "talk"...I hope someone goes in to clean this house asap. Can't read about anymore animals suffering and dying in pain in cages

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Great points GG - I am starting to sway alittle. My character however is to see for myself in order to have an opinion. I used to be an administrator quite a while back and remember how people would fabricate certain administrative decisions or even why animals would be PTS. I know first hand what people will do in order to buck the system.

Quitting though??? This is what is disturbing. People in 'mass' do not quit for nothing. There is a reason and I really do believe that people who volunteer or are employed at a shelter do it because they truly have an animal's best interest at heart. People in general do not make such a move in numbers unless there is some validaty to what is being reported.

This to me sounds like a sore that is starting to puss. And that is a good thing in order for everything to come to light.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:17 PM

Of course I just read the article while eating lunch, and now my lunch is half uneaten in the garbage. i skimmed quickly through the article, but without really understanding *why* these animals have not been euthanised or treated in a timely fashion before all their suffering? Can someone clarify this for me?

I work part-time for our local SPCA, which is a no-kill shelter (one of few no-kill SPCA's in Quebec). I have yet to see an animal suffer and when an animal has a problem, it is seen by a vet.

Is the THS governement funded?
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmdp12 View Post
Actually, that is not true.
Well I have worked with a few vets that say otherwise.

And no ones hands are ever tied.

ACO22

Last edited by NoahGrey; June 2nd, 2009 at 05:58 PM.