Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 15th, 2009, 08:41 PM

Wink Pregnant cat Please help

So I need some advice. I'm a suck up and have adopted a cat.. well she adopted me more. But what every I notice the following: Large hard belly. Always hungry and has become very friendly over the last few weeks. She was a stray and I don't think she is spayed. But I'm not sure what else to look for to comform that she is pregnant.

p.s. She also has started to nest in her bed I put out side for her.
Old February 15th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I'm a softy

well those are signs.. you can usually feel "lumps" in her sides if she is far enough along, you can feel them moving and stuff.. also beginning to make milk is a sure sign, squeeze a bit and see if anything comes out.. i hope she just likes food and is chubby! then maybe there is time to get her fixed so she doesn't have to have babies1 good luck!
Old February 15th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Senior Contributor

She could have worms. You need to get her checked by a vet. And should have done so as soon as she found you to make sure she was in good health and to have her spayed. or at least find out if shes been spayed.

BTW- Just read your other thread from like months ago. . How is Trixie(that her name??) doing?
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old February 15th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I'm a softy

have you 'adopted' her or just taking care of her? just wonder cuz the bed outside thing.. if she is going to be yours then I absolutly agree with BM, she should see a vet, to rule out pregnancy, along with parasites, and be vaccinated and hopefully spayed. Those are the first things to do if you are commiting yourself to a stray, good luck again, I hope all works out for the dear kitty!
Old February 15th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Umm. If you think there is a remote chance she is pregnant, You should bring her in your home immediantly. Put her in a dog kennel with plenty of food and water and bedding (Straw would probably be good bedding, but dont give too much bedding as the kittens could like, get lost or smother) And she needs a vet check up. I cannot stress this enough.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old February 15th, 2009, 10:32 PM

I phoned the vet and talked to him I was going to bring her in but he had to leave a friends horse got cut up needed a vet asap. We have adopted her and were working on letting her in the house and garage but she runs away with the smallest noise. I just went and looked out side and shes asleep in her bed. As soon as I can get a free spot the vet told me to bring her in. He'll check.

Trixie... I'll go up date her ad.
Old February 15th, 2009, 11:17 PM

Lucky

So I was talking to a friend and her mom used to be a vet for small animals so she came over. She said by the way the cat looks and feels like she pregnant. And also told me not to take her to the vet right know. B/c if we scare her or brake the trust bond this early in the stage she may not trust us again. So the plan is to let her have her kittens and as soon as I can to take her into the vet and get she spayed. That way she won't think we aren't trust worthy and we won't have to hurt her kittens. Lets hope it all works out for her. I'll keep every one updated.
Old February 16th, 2009, 11:48 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Wow. First of all....... bring the cat indoors. You must be able to do that somehow. In your other "Need help ASAP" thread you mentioned a crate that you used for that cat. Sterilize it, get it ready for this new cat with litter box, blankets, water, food, and bring kitty in. If a vet can get close enough to feel it surely you, as someone she trusts, can bring her in. Better yet, a small room set up for her would be great!
Secondly..... get the kitty to the vets for a checkup. I don't know why a vet would tell you not to take a cat in for a quick checkup. How do you know she is healthy? How do you know she isn't pregnant but is full of worms? You can always work on trust issues later. It is important you get kitty in.
It is not nice weather for a cat about to give birth to have babies in. She would really appreciate a nice, warm, safe place to have her babies if she is pregnant. She needs to be checked by a certified vet.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 16th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Great advice so far. I totally agree, you should take this girl to the vet asap. If you are worried about her trusting you later, you can work on that when the time comes. I've been giving my gang medication for several days, and when I finish, I always think, "they'll never trust me and come near me again." Sure enough, a little while passes and they come to me for a head butt or a little petting.

This girl needs to be checked out, especially if she's pregnant. Once you know she's healthy and her babies are healthy, you can bring her home and get her all nice and comfy. Once she sees she's got a warm place to sleep, food and water and people who care for her, she'll get used to being inside in no time.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/