Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 4th, 2017, 07:14 PM

Exclamation Why do my cats pee outside the litter box and how to get them to stop?

Hi there,

I have been having an issue with my cats for a while now. Their litter boxes are in a room that has hardly anything else in it, I just use it as an office from time to time, and they always pee on the floor. It's almost always wet directly outside the boxes and the whole room smells like cat pee. I have used so many products to try and get the smell out. Thankfully its just hardwood not carpet, but it still stains! And it really smells. I've tried everything I can think of. My cats get along great, they have tons of space, clean litter always, and are hardly ever alone! Nothing has changed recently, like I said it's been going on for a long time, so I have no idea what's causing it. They are also in good health, they're 1 and 2 years old.

I've had cats my whole life and have never experienced this, does anyone know what the problem could be? Or have suggestions on how to stop this??
Old March 4th, 2017, 08:23 PM
Senior Contributor

are you keeping the litter boxes clean, or maybe your cats don't like the litter you're using ,have you tried a difference brand? I would put some plastics under the boxes to try and keep the pee from getting on to the wooden floor the urine is going to soak right into the wood. Yucky !
Old March 4th, 2017, 08:35 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well first off welcome! I have a few questions for you ...Do you have multiple levels in your home. How many cats do you have. What type of litter box are you using. Large box with lid or large box without. Where is the litterbox located. Does it offer some privacy to the cats... Have you had a medical check up to ensure it is not a UTI or some other issue. Have you tried changing the type of litter used.

These are all things that impact cats and inappropriate peeing outside the litter box.

Have you tried to observe them in the litter box to see how they behave.

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

We are looking for trays, like boot trays, to put the kitty litter boxes in. We're finding pee outside the box too and suspect our nearly 19 year old is too stiff and sore some days to make it all the way in to the litter box. An outside tray would at least save our hardwood. AT the ages yours are this isn't likely the problem but it might help your floors too.

A couple of our cats don't actually sit in the litter tray to pee or poop. They sit on the edge of it and once in a while they turn the wrong way so the pee or poop goes outside the litter tray. We fixed most of that by putting the litter tray inside a big cardboard box so if they pretty well can't face the wrong way while sitting on the edge.

Tags
accident, cat pee, cats, litter, pee