Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 23rd, 2004, 10:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Looking for a reputable rescue??

There has been much discussion here lately concerning fraudulent and/or abusive people posing as rescues. Here are a few hints on what to look for in a rescue:

Choosing a rescue
Old October 17th, 2004, 11:18 AM

Thank you for the advice

Thanks Lucky for the advice and link. We were one of the lucky ones when we got Buddy from a resuce group. Only now do we realize that we should have done a lot more investigation into this "rescue". Fortunately, with time and love, things have worked out for us, but those first couple of months .... wow, they were tough. This poor dog was so freaked out. Lord knows what he had been thorugh. In the end though (six months later), we feel very blessed.

I read a number of posts who had horrible experiences with the same rescue that Buddy came from. I wish those kinds of places could somehow be better controlled from developing.
Old December 17th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Great link Lucky -- thanks alot, this is going to help me out alot when I start looking for a bundle of joy next summer!!
Old January 21st, 2005, 10:15 AM
Free The Animals

hoarding info

Here is another very informative page.
www.tufts.edu/vet/cfa/hoarding/rescue.htm
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:39 PM

Rescue

The thing that disturbs me most is the story of a man in the Charlotte, NC area that gets on the internet and supposedly adopts small breed dogs (Jack Russell) only to find out that they are being used as bait for dog fights. Please be careful about the people you turn an innocent animal over to and do a background check. If they truly want the animal they'll be willing to wait a few days. I wish I had the newspaper article so I could post it but lost contact. I've also been reading about several dogs disappearing from fenced areas. I crate my Labs in the house if I'm going to be gone any length of time. Can't be too careful these days because there are a lot of sick people out there will to do harm to both humans and innocent animals.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 09:32 PM

Great Rescue- GAR Canada

If you are looking to rescue an animal and live 2 hours from Toronto you should look up gar
********************* Dianne from Toronto volunteers her time to rescue animals from Greece.
I looked for a dog in all the shelteres surrounding my home in Ontario but I could not find a dog that was suitable for my family's needs. (Good with cats and small kids)
I was able to get a puppy from this organization for $200, came deflead, dewormed and microchipped and immuinzed.
The dog is so grateful to be with us that it is a lovely dog in every sense of the word.

Last edited by Tigger; April 24th, 2006 at 06:24 AM. Reason: This sticky is the how's and mean's to find a reputable rescue but is not to be used to promote particuliar rescues. Rescues who wish to be included on this board apply with admin for approval. Thanks
Old May 5th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Cool Are Petfinder rescue groups screened?

I am looking for a dog. A small dog- I have been looking for the past couple of months. I found petfinder and have been there but I wondered if they have screened their rescue groups and determined if they are OK?

I had applied for one dog a few weeks back after some communication with a group and silence ever since? I don't understand it but my cynical mind wonders if the "occupation: police" had anything to do with it.

Also I have run into the problem that many will not adopt a small dog to family with children (well one child age 8)

any help or advice would be appreciated

Joanne
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Petfinder cannot possibly screen the many thousands of rescues listed there, other than asking a few requirements of a group before allowing them to list.

Petfinder is just a listing service, and they do their best but unless someone complains, they have no way of knowing who is operating in a less than reputable way.

How much under 8 is your child and how small is the dog you were interested in?

Many small dogs are not patient with little kids and can be fearful and/or nippy with them. An 8 year old child should be okay with a dog who is known to be good with kids.

The Petfinder listing will indicate if the dog can go to a home with children.

Also, cute small dogs usually get many people interested. I would contact the group again and ask them what's happening with this dog.
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:28 AM

Talking Thanks Lucky

Thanks for the info on Petfinder. I honestly did not occur to me that the there would be disrepuatable rescue groups. then I read some postings and got worried

The kid is over 8 actually (8.5years) this is a mellow kid. we always say that he is the reincarnation of a 80 year old victorian spinster. Not rambuctious and amazing with respect for animals

this is the kid who last spring found a featherless baby bird on the ground(which I told him would die) took it in- reseached on the net- got mammal milk- got up at night fed it on his own- raised it then slowly reintroduced to to the wild (it would come back all summer and perch on his head in the back yard and have a treat while all his bird friends sat on the fence and looked jealous). Not your average kid with animals....

I guess that is why it is frustrating to have him condemed with rowdy 3 year olds.

I would say small to medium dog- I love big dogs but do not have the lifestyle for one. Not a Jack Russell though

I have emailed a few of the rescue groups and have been told that they will not adopt to under 10's. The responses have bordered on rude.

I feel strongly about rescues- but feel pushed away

I will try to email the group again (this will be the third since the application)- the dog is still posted.....

Thanks again Jo
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

I am a member of a beagle rescue out of Newfoundland and we don't have any problems giving dogs that are great with children to families with kids. Especially ones that have such a special way with animals as you describe. We have also in recent memory adopted a beagle to a police officer (we see them as fairly responsible). Is there nothing else you can think of that would set off a rescue. Did they do an interview with you on the phone or at your house. I hope they at least called you. If they didn't maybe your job is setting off alarms in one of those disreputable agencies.

I kind of take issue with the article on petfinder at the top of this post. We would never give out the home address of our foster homes to anyone giving up their dog. What if they changed their mind and came over demanding their dog back. That would put our foster homes in a very uncomfortable position. We also have found it is much better for the dog to be picked up from its home as opposed to being dumped at someone else's house and abandoned. There seems to be less stress on the dogs that way and they settle in better.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 07:37 AM
Animals are Angels

Wonderful information you all have provided. But i need to ask, how does one find out if an indivual has been alleged for abuse?
Old August 2nd, 2006, 05:08 PM
Retriever Fever

Rescues on pets.ca?

Hi there

Which rescues have been approved by pets.ca in terms of participating in the forums? I saw that one of the admins listed the user names of people posting on behalf rescues on pets.ca, but is it ok to see which rescues they represent?

Old August 2nd, 2006, 05:47 PM

A few of them have their rescue websites as their home page in their profiles and others prefer to stay more anonymous.
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Rescue View Post
Petfinder cannot possibly screen the many thousands of rescues listed there, other than asking a few requirements of a group before allowing them to list.

Petfinder is just a listing service, and they do their best but unless someone complains, they have no way of knowing who is operating in a less than reputable way.

It's actually a bit hard to get on Petfinder and they work very hard to keep breeders off. To get listed you need to fill out their form, get in touch via phone, supply your adoption contract (not application form), prove you have a spay/neuter program-and if you don't have a non-profit registration you have to supply a letter from your primary vet.

However-many unreputable rescues can easily get non-profit status (non-profit only pertains to your tax status and it's just a matter of some forms-it has nothing to do with the legitimacy of the shelter above and beyond what it does with money) and many of them do have non-profit. If they have that and an adoption contract they meet the qualifications to list on petfinder.
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Senior Contributor

All I can say is you can never be too careful, no matter how much you think it is such a great rescue. Trust me, I know of a well known, very reputable rescue, that I can pretty much guanantee that more then or all of the people on here would think of it as a great rescue and or probably even volunteer there. And what they did is disgusting.

ACO22
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:12 AM

If you're looking to adopt a guinea pig or hamster in the northern New Jersey area, North Jersey Guinea Pig and Hamster Rescue is great! You can find them at http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/nj...ndhamster.html

Carla, who runs the rescue out of her home, is a wonderful, caring person who dedicates her life to these pets. Her hubby is a great help and she has plenty of volunteers who help to do some fostering. Some of these poor guinea pigs have been rescued from near death and horrible conditions.

We've gotten three guinea pigs from her and love them dearly. Our one girl was found in the winter, in a public park. She had severe lice and had lost most of her fur.

“The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different.”—Hippocrates
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Barkin Rescue is a great rescue!

They are out of London, Ontario and they were fantasic to deal with! I have nothing but good things to say about them.

I just had a bad experience with a rescue called "********" in Mississauga. I sent an application in, within 1/2 hour, I recieved a response saying that my application was "EXCELLENT" and that I was approved for adoption. I received a call and was asked to come by and see the dog that day. We drove 2 hours that evening to see the dog, with our other dog, to make sure they were compatible. When we got there, and the dogs met, the dog for adoption was coughing, so I asked the foster care giver if the dog was sick, she said it was most likely kennel cough. I offered a freindly suggestion, that it may not be the most appropraite time to show the dog. She was clearly offended, as this was not my intention. I had several questions regarding the history of the dog and what kind of medical treatment was sought. She was clearly annoyed that I was asking questions. I told her I was still interested and would like to adopt the dog. 2 days went by and I didn't hear a response. I called and e-mailed telling her I was interested. I recieved a response the next day from a different person from the organization, saying they didn't find our family suitable. I responed politley saying I was happy that the dog had a good home and aksed if she could give feedback on why were weren't suitable, so we knew for future adoptions. I was sent a very unprofessional insulting letter. They said they were offended by my suggestions and were more than qualified to make the judgement calls they did regarding animals health. They implied that I wasn't qaulified to make any such judgements. They said that "people like me are the reason why some many dogs are being looked over, because I want a perfect dog".

When I responded that the questions and suggestion was not meant to be taken defensively and I was just expressing my concern over the dogs health, I recieved a response from yet another person saying, that the only reason why I made any suggestions was because I was upset that I wasn't getting the dog?

I'm still baffled at how unprofessional, defensive and arrogant these people were. The kicker is I have been a veterinary technician for 20 years, I have been rescuing dogs from shelters for 25 years. One of which of these dogs was paralyzed, another extremely obese and 2 diabetic cats. **********, did not ask me once about any of my background or qualifications and just made the assumption that I was clueless and heartless.

Last edited by Ford; July 8th, 2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:49 PM

What about SPCAs?

Just curious as to why this thread is only discussing private rescues and not provincial SPCA rescues as well. Sorry if this has been covered and I've missed it.

Thanks!
Old December 12th, 2009, 07:46 PM

As some of you know, I volunteer for a rescue and I think our organization is great. Maybe I'm a little biased but I have to tell you that some rescues are not that great. We have worked with other rescue groups and some of them are amazing and some of them I would not touch them with a 10 foot pole. Also personally before I started volunteering I found some pretty horrible rescues.

From my experience of being a volunteer, a rescue should work with you and get to know you and what type of dog will work with you and your family. A good rescue should be true to the dogs and be fully honest and disclose everything to a potential adopter about the dog. They should be professional and courteous, responsive and knowledgeable. One time I declined someone to adopt from us because we felt they weren't appropriate for rescue. I told them that and they actually thanked me and appreciated my honesty. They should not rush you into adopting a dog or push your decision in anyway. I also think that a good rescue continues the relationship even after the adoption. Followup and make sure that things are going well and provide advice and training whenever necessary. A good rescue will make sure that if the adoption doesn't work that the dog gets returned to them. These are just few of the things I think make up a good rescue. There is way way more things.

Some people prefer to adopt from a rescue instead of the Spca. Rescues work differently than the Spca does.

Wherever you adopt your dog from. Just make sure that you do the research and you are comfortable with who your dealing with. It never hurts to get a good referral too!
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old January 7th, 2010, 05:06 PM

If you are looking for a dog to rescue there is a list of reputable Shelters and Rescues in Canada at Canada's Guide To Dogs-Shelters & Rescues

They also have a list of Breed Specific Rescues under the each different breed List of Dog Breeds and Breed Specific Rescues

It is a great site for information about dogs.
Old January 7th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Senior Contributor

pm me, my daughter works rescue in ontario, brenda and the pins.
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:00 AM

That was an excellent article!!
I wrote a rescue protocol some years back, for anyone who wants to get their feet wet in rescue. It is written for Giant Schnauzer rescue but can be adapted to any breed/mix I have attatched it here.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Rescue Protocol.doc (96.5 KB, 1615 views)
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Excellent Read!!!

Networking and facilitating rescues, I can honestly say that this is very beneficial.

I enjoyed and was even enlightened from beginning to end.
Old August 28th, 2010, 08:48 PM

I think it's like anything... what I mean is.. if you were purchasing a bed that you were going to sleep in for the next 10 years.. You'd shop around.. You'd do your research.. Why wouldn't anyone apply those same common sense principles.. and above and beyond when we are talking about a precious living being. I hope no one is turned off Rescues because of bad experiences. There are a lot of them out there with volunteers who work tirelessly for their cause. I love the Rescue that I found. I won't give their name, as this is a public forum and it is not my place to do so. Just know they are out there... doing what they do, loving what they do, and acting above and beyond the call.
Old August 29th, 2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinH View Post
There are a lot of them out there with volunteers who work tirelessly for their cause. I love the Rescue that I found. I won't give their name, as this is a public forum and it is not my place to do so. Just know they are out there... doing what they do, loving what they do, and acting above and beyond the call.
Excellent! Though I have adopted all of my animals from various places I have had only 2 experiences with formal rescue organizations. The first one was not very good and didn't seem to care what happened to the dog once she had been adopted. Fortunately I had adopted her and believe an animal is for life. I gave her everything she needed including surgery until she passed away last year.

I have no idea what happened to the other dogs she had in her rescue because I have heard things about her since that are not at all complimentary that she puts the animals at risk by overcrowding.

This last one I found is absolutely wonderful and is so committed to her work as a rescue organization and transporter that I can only admire her dedication. She has taken problem animals and worked with them until they are ready to be adopted. She also does disaster work going to areas like New Orleans during Katrina to help with the animals there and transport them to other places where they could be saved.

I keep in touch with her because I am so impressed with her dedication to animals. She also encourages me to send her pictures and periodic bulletins about the dog I rescued from her and as far as I'm concerned that is the sign of a true animal lover and someone who deserves the name rescuer
Old January 31st, 2012, 08:16 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

EDITED BY ADMIN:
Please note that some recent posts were posted into this general thread - but those posts were specific to one person's experience so I have moved those posts to their own thread here.
Fraudulent Rescues in Manitoba
Thx - marko Admin

Also...the original link in post 1 is dead on petfinder. By any chance does any member know where another copy of that article is? Thanks

thx again.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old September 8th, 2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze View Post
Here is another very informative page.
www.tufts.edu/vet/cfa/hoarding/rescue.htm
It's showing page not found.
Old November 11th, 2017, 06:00 PM
Senior Contributor

This thread is old ,it was started in 2004 , if you want to adopt rescue dog try asking a vet office if they know of any.