Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 8th, 2017, 08:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Has anyone used Cedar Oil on their dogs ?

I been using a topical ticks treatments on my dog and it not working ,he can't take pills b/c it made him vomit. I brought some cedar oil which also has 90% hydrated silica in it . If Marty was to lick this off would it harm him? The deer ticks are real horrible in New England and around all year . Frontline no longer works on ticks , I was told by 2 vets offices that the ticks has build up a resistance to Frontline so I tried others topical ticks treatments and nothing working .
Old September 8th, 2017, 09:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'd be very careful and choose the product after much consideration. I've heard mixed reviews on how safe it is. Evidently some dogs can be allergic to cedar oil, and some can apparently be overwhelmed with the scent. So choose carefully and discontinue if Marty seems to develop any weird symptoms (like itchy or swollen eyes or face).

I'm not sure how effective it is for ticks, though. I've not tried cedar oil, but other essential oil treatments I've tested have been pretty ineffective.

I know a lot of dog owners in the south are using the Seresto collars for ticks now, since Frontline has become less effective down there. They seem to be having good luck with them. Is that something you've tried with Marty?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 9th, 2017, 03:26 AM

I've heard cedar oil is pure organic and no allergic reaction to animal or human. But here I see totally different.
Old September 9th, 2017, 01:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I'd be very careful and choose the product after much consideration. I've heard mixed reviews on how safe it is. Evidently some dogs can be allergic to cedar oil, and some can apparently be overwhelmed with the scent. So choose carefully and discontinue if Marty seems to develop any weird symptoms (like itchy or swollen eyes or face).

I'm not sure how effective it is for ticks, though. I've not tried cedar oil, but other essential oil treatments I've tested have been pretty ineffective.

I know a lot of dog owners in the south are using the Seresto collars for ticks now, since Frontline has become less effective down there. They seem to be having good luck with them. Is that something you've tried with Marty?
Thanks hazel , I brought some cedar oil for Marty but now I have second thoughts about using it on him. He is a very sensitive little dog , I haven't heard of Seresto collars , I did buy a 'natural' one from a natural grocery store . Marty hated it, he was hiding within half a hour and I got a horrible headache . It had pennyroyal oil in the collar and online it said it wasn't safe for dogs and it can cause headaches . People seem to think b/c something is natural that it's safe to use and this not true . I will try to return the cedar oil
bc I have some weird kind infection in my sinuses right now and it making my face all swollen ! I don't want to find out if the cedar will made my dog face swollen and made my face so big I won't be able to get through a doorway !

http://fixfleas.com/seresto-flea-collar-dogs/
I looked up Seresto collars and it has mostly bad reviews ,people said their dogs were getting seizures after wearing the collars . Bayer made the collars and for personal reasons I try to not use them.
Thanks for the suggestion hazel .

Last edited by Barkingdog; September 9th, 2017 at 02:08 PM.