Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 26th, 2017, 03:39 PM

Question Introducing a new puppy

I just got a sweet little baby girl miniature schnauzer that I named Eevee. That being said I already had my sweet baby boy toy poodle kiba he's 3 years old. He's super playful and absolutely loves my mom's 3 dogs. So I figured when I brought Eevee home they would become quick friends, but I seem to have mistaken. He seems completely terrified of her which is oddly funny, as she's half his size. I just brought her home had her for no more than 3 1/2 days. He doesn't want nothing to do with her, or the things she's "touched" he won't even play with his toys after she's got a hold of them. He didn't even want anything to do with me after I got her. I still show him the same amount of attention, and make sure to give him some one on one time, but he doesn't seem like the same dog. He is somewhat tolerate of her. He at first wouldn't even come off the couch but now he'll walk around the house as long as she doesn't come close. The minute she starts going towards him he runs off. I've introduced him to other dogs before and he loves them. My mom says it's because she's a puppy. Eevee absolutely loves him. She follows him around, and will stop whats shes doing when she sees him walk off. She often sits on the ground stirring up at him wagging her tail as he sits on the couch staring at her. He barks at her or me often when he doesn't like something. Usually when she's staring at him, or when I play with her. So what I'm wondering is when will he get use to her or accept her? Is there a way I can get him to warm up to her faster?
Old July 26th, 2017, 11:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Congratulations on your new addition!!

I suspect that Kiba will get used to her eventually--but at less than a week, this is still a very new situation for him. She's a stranger, quite young, and suddenly took a position of status in his house. Although experts will tell you never to anthropomorphize canine behavior, it sounds like he's pouting.

It doesn't sound like he's shown any aggressive behavior toward Eevee? Just runs away from her? I take it she hasn't tried to engage him physically in play, yet?

I think they're going to be fine together from your description, but you don't want to force it. Let them take it slow and let Kiba adjust at his own speed. If you can, keep his toys separate and don't let her play with them. Make sure he has a quiet place of his own where she's not allowed to approach him. He needs to feel that he's the ranking dog...

In a week or so, Eevee is going to be much bolder and start in with the puppy shenanigans. That's all perfectly normal. And with luck, Kiba will be relaxed enough by then to be willing to play a little. However, she's going to be merciless in her attention and at some point, Kiba will likely discipline her. It may sound fierce--a growl, a snap, and a puppy yelp, probably followed by Eevee running off to hide somewhere. But as long as the discipline is short and Eevee is not getting hurt (no blood), it's best to not correct Kiba. Eevee will need to learn her limits and that's how Kiba will teach her.

And they'll play. Quite hard, probably. That's also normal--especially with two young dogs. You'll get a feel for what's okay and what's getting a little rough. Remember that pups get crabby and hyper when they get tired, just like little children, so there will be times when you'll have to separate them. Is Eevee crate trained or in the process of being crate trained? If not, I'd highly recommend it. Crates are great for enforcing naps on recalcitrant youngsters. Kiba will thank you for it!

And finally, when things settle into a routine and you get a chance, we'd love to see some pics of your pups!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 27th, 2017, 08:04 AM

Thank you for the reply I feel so much better about it now. I'll just continue to let them be, and let Kiba get use to her in his own time. I don't want to force any interaction with them, or stress him out.

He's a sweet boy and mostly just runs away from her. She's now trying to play with him, or at least I think she is but he still wants no part it in. She reminds me of a cat as she's always pawing at him or trying to sneak up on him and pounce. Not sure if that's playing or not. He still mostly runs away but will give her a growl every now and then, but nothing aggressive. I will hear/see kiba running and Eevee will be right behind him chasing him. Which often leads him to jumping off the couch or him going into my room where she can't get him.

She's actually very funny and a handful. Definitely more of a spite fire than Kiba was as a puppy. I'm sure Kiba loves the fact that her little bursts of energies don't last that long before she's passed out for a nap.

I have a crate for her. I lock her up in the night and when I leave the house. Just so I know she wont be peeing all through the house, or driving Kiba crazy. It's one of the ways I trained Kiba as a puppy. He was as easy puppy he took to his crate fast. Eevee on the other hand hates it. She barks up a storm when she has to go in it. Makes me tired as she wakes me up at night, but she's young so she'll eventually get use to it. Once she's trained she can sleep in the bed with me and Kiba.

Here's some pictures of my little monsters
Attached Images

Old July 27th, 2017, 09:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh my goodness, how can you resist all that cuteness! They're both darling!!

It sounds like you have a good handle on things. Puppies can be trying--it's so fortunate for the little dickenses that they're so cute! But it does sound like she's trying to play, and it sounds like Kiba has a place to go when she gets too overwhelming, so it seems to be going well!

Looking forward to all the stories you'll have to tell!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 8th, 2017, 07:57 AM

Which one is kiba? white one is much cute

Tags
puppy