Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 13th, 2017, 04:10 PM

Inside vs Outside Cats

I love when cats can enjoy the outdoors in a safe environment. Unfortunately, more times than not cats do not have access to a safe area outside... I've talked to a lot of people who get SO angry with me when I talk about the use of "cat doors" as they immediately assume I'm talking about letting cats outside to get eaten by wild animals, hit by cars, or otherwise injured/killed (as if that was my intention?).

No, I do not blindly advocate for all cats to be released into the dangerous outside world. But neither will I advocate for cats to be kept inside their entire lives, never allowed to enjoy the simple pleasures of sunshine, wind, and fresh air.

I don't understand how catios are not more popular. The more I talk about my cat's catio the more I understand how so many people have never even considered this as a possibility! Why not let our indoor cats enjoy both the safety of the home and the joys of the outside?

Do you have a catio? What is your opinion on the matter?

Thank you!
Attached Images

Last edited by marko; April 14th, 2017 at 07:41 AM. Reason: self promo link removed
Old April 13th, 2017, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

When I had cats I would let them outside , one cat I had would come home smelling like he been sitting next a fire . My cat was going to a neighbor's house to visit her and sit in front of her fireplace ! My neighbor told me she enjoyed my cat company . If I had a cat and the room I would love to have a catios but there are too ticks here and I would hate have to use something on cat to keep fleas and tick off.
Old April 14th, 2017, 07:40 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

really safe enclosures are a good idea for cats imo.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old April 14th, 2017, 01:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I've been trying to come up with a design for JD. So far, we do have a screened in porch on the shed that he can run free in, but it can't be accessed from the house--I either have to carry him out there, or put on his harness and lead. Would love to make a covered, elevated walkway leading from the back of the house out to the porch! However, considering my limited carpentry experience, that's probably not going to happen.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 14th, 2017, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

This looks really cool for cats !

Old April 16th, 2017, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

WE'd like to build one and let the 5 inside only cats outside. All my cats have been in and out up till a few years ago. Now one is in and out and one is always out because she's still pretty wary, even after five winters with us, warm in our garage.

But you know what I've found? Over many years? The boys roam, fight, get into trouble no matter how young you neuter them. The girls seem much more safety conscious and stick around our yard. We do spay, sometimes not so early, witness kittens we've had since they were 9 days old. But that's because all our cats just show up here. Well really, I think neighbours plant them in our yard. But whatever, they come to us as outside cats and it's hard to convince them to stay in and hard on them as life outside is immeasureably a richer life.
Old April 16th, 2017, 11:37 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's my main reason for wanting some sort of secure outdoor area for JD--the outside environment is just so much richer! There's no way we can match it with an indoor area.

But there are so many dangers here--predators, both 4-footed and avian, that could easily take a 6-lb cat; two taverns in town that make for lots of drunken speeders on the road in front of the house; and the list goes on.

So I'd like a covered, secure area for him....but then I wonder about winter. Last fall, he got occasional walks in the basement yard on leash and harness but we had to stop that in fall when he had surgery and needed to wear a cone for a few weeks till his back healed. By the time he was good to go again, the yard was essentially snowed in. Must've been pretty boring for him by comparison.

I don't want him making a break for freedom every time someone opens the door, but I was thinking maybe some sort of covered walkway with access through a cat-door from an inside wall or window might be okay. He wouldn't associated the door with freedom so much? And maybe not wait at the door for his chance?

But, as I say, my carpentry skills are nil, so probably not in his future, anyway.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 16th, 2017, 09:02 PM

Love the catio My kitty seems to be quite happy watching from the windows with an occasional supervised venture out onto the deck. No time or talent to build a catio.
Tigger is almost 13 and has never had outdoor freedom so I'm hoping he isn't missing out
Old April 17th, 2017, 04:20 PM

My catio is definitely not beautiful as I'm not the most skilled either haha! But the cats still love it and it is sturdy at least I have found that one of my cats has stopped trying to dart out the front door, but my other cat still tries it
Old April 17th, 2017, 05:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Lynne, if he's never been out, he likely doesn't know what he's missing! JD has had a taste of it, though, as he came to us out of the woods.

How big is your catio, raemei?