Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 2nd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Regarding winter/cats & cars

Hey guys,

Since winter is fast approaching, (i know it seems like winter, but it's not offically winter till Dec 21) anyhoo, it is however extremely cold outside.

Just wanted to remind everyone, that before going out to your car in the morning PLEASE either pound on the hood or honk your horn a few times and in both times wait a few seconds before starting your cars.

Car engines are the perfect warm toasty spot for a cat that is outdoors in the winter and looking to keep warm.

I have already had one case, of a cat that was in a car engine and the car was turned on. Half of the cats face was pretty much gone. It was humanely put down. Poor guy also. It ended up binging his girlfriends cat. He was at the vets and was calling her.

So PLEASE think before you start your car in the morning.

Maybe Marko, can make this a sticky?

ACO22
Old December 2nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you ACO22 for this very important alert. Indeed many cats are seriously maimed or killed in this fashion.

This is an excellent reminder to all.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 01:46 PM

Great thread ACO.
I have SEEN what happens to kitties that get in cars...:sad: gives me nightmares

For anyone else, please keep YOUR kitties inside! They are much happier in a warm lap, than in a car hood!
Mako - Black and white DLH Cat ( found at work one day )
Expression - National Show Horse - 12-15 yrs old.

"The best kisses come from my puppy "
"There are NO bad dogs, Just bad Owners "
BAN BSL!!!
Old December 2nd, 2008, 01:46 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

great advice ACO22
Old December 2nd, 2008, 01:47 PM
-

Excellent advice.

Even if you don't have a cat yourself there are unfortuneately lots of strays out there. :sad:
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Excellent advice, many years ago I lost a cat who got into a neighbour's car motor.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Master of the Drool!

Awsome advice!! Nice to be reminded once in awhile!! My truck amkes alot of noise but I will honk the horn just in case
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:45 PM
proud to be a cat slave

One of my mom's exboyfriend's kitties lost his hind leg due to sleeping by a fan belt - he came home and it was hanging on by a tendon :sad:

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Since this thread is already started I just have to tell you my cat's story. Don't worry it's a 9 lives story.

My Mum started the car and black fur shot out through the cracks between the hood and the car. We found Twitchie huddled under our oil tank, around the side of the house. There was no blood in the snow. I thought, if she has internal injuries and I drag her out I might make them worse. On the other hand I can't leave her there.

Out she came and was examined thoroughly. One hind leg had fur missing in a strip from toe to stifle but the leg worked properly and there was no other sign of damage. Today I would haved rushed her to the VEt for a checkup but back then people didn't do such things, I was a child, and she was FINE. No lasting effects at all. A miracle, she truly did use up one of her 9 lives.

The car was not fine. Mum couldn't steer. The cat's leg had knocked the power steering belt right off. Have you ever tried to put a power steering belt on a car? It is HARD. A big burly mechanic had to use a lever to get it back on. Yet the cat's leg, which took the belt off, was only missing some hair. WHEW.

Hope I haven't hijacked.

I would not count on the above good luck story ever happening again and we pound on our cars regularly now.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Since this thread is already started I just have to tell you my cat's story. Don't worry it's a 9 lives story.

My Mum started the car and black fur shot out through the cracks between the hood and the car. We found Twitchie huddled under our oil tank, around the side of the house. There was no blood in the snow. I thought, if she has internal injuries and I drag her out I might make them worse. On the other hand I can't leave her there.

Out she came and was examined thoroughly. One hind leg had fur missing in a strip from toe to stifle but the leg worked properly and there was no other sign of damage. Today I would haved rushed her to the VEt for a checkup but back then people didn't do such things, I was a child, and she was FINE. No lasting effects at all. A miracle, she truly did use up one of her 9 lives.

The car was not fine. Mum couldn't steer. The cat's leg had knocked the power steering belt right off. Have you ever tried to put a power steering belt on a car? It is HARD. A big burly mechanic had to use a lever to get it back on. Yet the cat's leg, which took the belt off, was only missing some hair. WHEW.

Hope I haven't hijacked.

I would not count on the above good luck story ever happening again and we pound on our cars regularly now.
It's all relevant as it shows all that this does happen and it can happen to anyone.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I will add our story to this..

A friend of the family was visiting my sis when she lived in thunder bay.

he discovered a kitten in his engine 4hours into the drive (this happened in January)

Not sure where kitty was but he had stopped for a Timmys & heard mew mew ... Luckily

"Lucky" spent the rest of the trip in the cab, snuggled up in the passanger seat. & found a forever home with them.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsmum View Post
I will add our story to this..

A friend of the family was visiting my sis when she lived in thunder bay.

he discovered a kitten in his engine 4hours into the drive (this happened in January)

Not sure where kitty was but he had stopped for a Timmys & heard mew mew ... Luckily

"Lucky" spent the rest of the trip in the cab, snuggled up in the passanger seat. & found a forever home with them.
So in other words this kitty had 9 lives and then one other one to add to that! A good ending to what could have been tragic.

More evidence on why we should follow ACO22 warning.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:47 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Sure - I'll stick this thread.

Note to all members though - it's more than my pleasure to help with anything.
Please PM me though as the majority of the time I will NOT see a request posted in the many hundreds of posts each day. I ALWAYS see Pms.

Thx
Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:09 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

ACO22 awesome suggestion! I never really thought about banging on the hood though! Now I am a little worried for this tiny little kitten across the street?? he spends alot of time on my front window and porch looking for my kitties??? Ill be making sure to remind DH of the same since he takes the car most times!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:37 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Someone asked me to make this a sticky in THIS post - so I'm posting that all requests should be sent to me by private message (PM) and it's more than my pleasure.

I realize it was off topic....Thanks - Marko
Don't want to hijack though...so back to the topic..
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:53 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG, i did not know that this happens! Im accually in shock right now.. I will definatly make sure mom/dad bang in the hood before starting the car!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I also have a cat under the hood story,but it was my own cat.
He was a beautiful Maine Coon,got out one day,the kids were not careful.
The next day I saw Humane Society truck up the street in a drive-way and the officer took this lifeless little body out of the engine.
Luckily the man noticed something was wrong as soon as he started the engine.
He was taken to the vet by HS,he was still alive.
That's how I met a most wonderful vet,we had no money and I begged and pleaded with this vet to please help Tigger.
Tigger lost an eye,part of his ear and had about 30 stitches on his side,but he lived and this wonderful man charged me only $50,he said,because I loved my cat so much.
A couple of years later this same man,died of cancer,I'll never ever forget him.
Tigger only lived to be 3 yrs old,but that's totally unrelated and another story.
I always knock on the hood,often even open the hood to be sure,as does my husband.
Great Post ACO!

Last edited by chico2; December 2nd, 2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:20 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Beeping the horn just once works as well. That's what I do.
Ms. Purrfect got her bum ear by being on hubby's truck engine. He didn't know it till too late. She came out from under our deck an hour later bloody and missing part of her ear. Limping as well. She is back to normal but she is one of the reasons the "catuary" came into being.
Thanks for starting this thread and for making it a sticky.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 2nd, 2009, 01:58 AM

Oh that is awful. I have never thought about that. I lived in Finland (where my parents still live) and winters get quite cold ( close -20´C sometimes more), therefor everybody also has a car.

This is something I will tell around for people! Maybe saves couple cats (or legs...).
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:41 PM

Oh m god that's terrifying about the car. Makes me glad to keep my kitties inside all year round, keeps 'em safe.
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:48 PM

I had no idea this happens! My car has an alarm so in order for me to get in the car it goes off to unlock the door, I hope this has been enuf warning in the past, if necessary. Right now we park underground and have only seen one cat wander in. When we move to a house I will keep this in mind!
Old September 17th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Willing cat servant

Yes please!
What a good reminder. OMG that story made me so so sad
When I was in elementary school that happened to my dad and a kitty in his car. I was so sad they didn't tell me until later. Every since they always honk and also look from behind.
But don't let this happen for you to know about it. Please follow the advice in this thread to prevent this horrible and sad thing to happen.
Old February 19th, 2012, 09:11 PM

remote car starters

a friend of mine has a remote car starter he uses in winter to warm up his car before leaving...
I will share this info with him...

sandyrivers
Elphin April 21st 2008 m -cat
Stibule(Gino,Airell,Katla,Rasta)June 6th 2009 f- cat
Gino Ferrero April 8th 2010 m -cat
Airell Awenn Awnfenn Ep Berrth April 8th 2010 f- cat
Katla Chilam Balam April 8th 2010 f- cat
Rasta Farian Marley April 9th 2010 m- cat
Chipcat-Filou found June 12th 2011 (Ocicat 6months old) f-cat
Jane the Snow Cat rescued Dec27th 2012 f- cat
Old December 7th, 2014, 12:13 PM

That's scary, we've lived in a house and never knew to check the car's engines in the morning. It was a quiet neighbourhood and there were a few outdoor cats around. Where we are now, the complex is on a busy main road and I don't see any dogs or cats outside since it's too dangerous with the road right there. All our cats are indoor cats, it keeps them safer. We have coyotes who wander around this city occasionally so that's another reason to keep them inside.

Snoopy: 1977-1997
Velvet: 1980-1994
Neelix: 1997-2011
Tuvok: 1997-2014

New Kittens:

Luna: b. June 28th 2014
Belle: b. June 28th 2014
Old December 7th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for posting this again , I had seen a cat around my condo and I am not sure if it lost or what . I will have to be sure check my car before starting it up.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/mishaps/catscars.asp

Longblades , I m going to tell my daughter that about the remote , maybe her car does the same

Last edited by Barkingdog; December 7th, 2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old December 7th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a new car with remote start on it. I've never had remote start before. Apparently I can program it to sound the horn twice before starting up.