Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old July 26th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Boris: Possibly #6

Okay, some of you might not know this, so I decided to make a thread about this little guy.

I've been seeing this black and white kitty for over a year. I would see him here and there, going from the parking lot to the apartment complex next door.

About 3 weeks ago, I was coming back from across the street with some cans of Fancy Feast for the gang. I was really low on their food, so sometimes I'll mix some FF classic to make it last. Anyway, I was walking across the club house and I saw this little guy grooming himself. He looked at me and started to run away. He walked down the hallway, and I took a can of the FF and opened it. That got his attention. I went to the stairwell, and underneath the stairs and managed to get him in there. I talked to him very quietly and waved the can a bit so he could get the scent of the food.

I know he wanted it but he wasn't sure about me, so I slowly moved toward the wall and let him pass me and get to the food. My heart just absolutely broke, because he's so small. He looks like a kitten, but I know he can't be. My guess is he's just underdeveloped. I think he's actually smaller than Kiska, he's certainly thinner.

So, I've been feeding him on the sly in the mornings when I leave to work and when I come home from work. I've been struggling with bringing him inside or trying to just keep feeding him outside.

I feel so compelled to help this little guy. But my worry is, my apartment isn't that big. I've already got 5. While they all get along reasonably well, with few squabbles, they still get into it now and then. Also, I know I should have more litter boxes but because of little room, I have 3 and I consider myself lucky they all share! I don't know if bringing one more cat into this place will completely throw off the balance I currently have.

If I brought him inside, I'd have to take him first to the vet before anything. He would need to be checked, and deflead. Then neutered for sure! I don't have the money right now for any of this, but I figure it's going to take me some time to get him to trust me enough for me to even touch him, much less grab him and put him into a carrier. If all of that works out, the only place I'd be able to keep him is to set him up with the same setup as Czari. He would be confined to the kitchen for a few months. Food, I'm not too worried about. I think I can manage on what I'm already spending and be able to feed them all well.

For now, he's outside and he knows where there is and will be food. I'm thinking he won't go far because of this. I can't guarantee any photos for a long while, but I can keep you all updated on his progress.

It's funny, I've always loved the name Boris. I didn't give that name to Vlad, because he didn't feel like a Boris. He felt like a Vlad to me. Same thing with Maks, the name didn't seem to fit him. Boris seems to fit this little guy.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 26th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You have to do what your heart tells you to do. I know if it was me, I would never forgive myself if something happened to him and I didn't do what I could.

How do you think Oksana would handle another kitty? I am pretty sure the boys would love to have another playmate.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 27th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
You have to do what your heart tells you to do. I know if it was me, I would never forgive myself if something happened to him and I didn't do what I could.

How do you think Oksana would handle another kitty? I am pretty sure the boys would love to have another playmate.
Oksana is another worry. She's been doing pretty well, hasn't had any more UTI issues. Maybe another boy kitty will draw Vlad's attention away from her. But he could also use the new guy to torment. I'm hoping not. He and Maks play well together. Maks actually can sometimes be a little clingy with Vlad, and Vlad will have to get away from him for a bit.

I guess I won't know until the time comes. I'm going to be a little better prepared though, like I was the second time around with Czari. Hopefully the little guy will adapt well.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old July 27th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Senior Contributor

You need to do what is best for you and your gang and Boris. I am sensing another kitty moving in
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 27th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
You need to do what is best for you and your gang and Boris. I am sensing another kitty moving in
Yeah, he might be moving in. I really wish I had a bigger place, even another bedroom. It would make this a whole lot easier to be able to keep a new kitty in a bedroom of his own. We'll see how it goes. I've got to build some trust with him first. He does try to follow me, so I'm guessing that's good.

Old July 27th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Doggie Wench

Are there any organizations that trap/neuter/release in your area, ancientgirl?

Perhaps another option could be gaining his trust, having him vaccinated/neutered, and then trying to find him a new home ?
Old July 27th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

LP, there are actually. Cat Network does that, but my problem is the douchebag apartment manager. He's a total. This is the guy who knew who was poisoning the cats and did nothing. I had to put a note on the killer's door, letting him know he was found out and only then did the poisoning stop.

I need to gain the little guys trust, and hopefully get to a point where he will let me pet him. When I get to that point, I think I can take down a small carrier and leave it under the stairs so I can put him in there when the time comes.

I do plan on calling the Cat Network anyway, because if you become part of their volunteer network, they send you certificates for no cost S&N, and they help you look for a home for the kitty. I think that may be my best option. That way, I can take him in, keep him for a while and get him used to indoor life, and see how the gang respond to his presence. If they wind up being okay with him being around, he can very well become a foster failure.

Old July 27th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Senior Contributor

AG, whatever action you decide to take I'm sure will be the right one considering your gang and Boris. Even if all you end up doing is neutering him and releasing he will be better off, although it doesn't sound like that will be the plan . Bless you for caring for this little fella and good luck gaining his trust.
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Bless you for caring for this little fella and good luck gaining his trust.
Thanks, I'm going to really need it!

Old July 27th, 2010, 01:46 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You will do what you feel is best AG. Follow your heart. You know what the situation is. You know if you can handle another one. It would even out the sexes in your home. I think with proper intros things could work very well. The Cat Network sounds great!! Good luck.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
You will do what you feel is best AG. Follow your heart. You know what the situation is. You know if you can handle another one. It would even out the sexes in your home. I think with proper intros things could work very well. The Cat Network sounds great!! Good luck.
At least this time I've got a little more experience, having been through this with Czari.

I'm so glad you guys are all here. It would be so difficult to do this without you all.

Old July 27th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

I must agree to follow your heart You know what you can handle financially, and if you can become a volunteer with Cat Network, that would help you out a ton Sending for little Boris!
Old July 27th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

AG,this all reminds me of"my"Tux,although he of course was an older beat up kitty.
I fed him twice a day for about 3 months,I could sit beside him while he ate,but if I tried touching him he would hiss

Little Boris is obviously a younger kitty,like everyone says,follow your heart,but also consider the feelings of your 5 sweeties.
As long as you are feeding him,he will at least not be hungry and maybe eventually the Cat Network can step in and help.
I know it probably breaks your heart seeing him out there,I know it did mine,but hopefully everything will work out the best for little Boris and you
Old July 27th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico, your Tux is always on my mind. For now, he is getting fed twice a day, so he's not going hungry, which eases my mind. If and when I can even touch him, I can better gauge if he will allow me to grab him.

I think if I do get him inside, and let him have the kitchen, I can see the gangs reaction to him. At the very least I can keep him safe inside, and try to get him to an adoptable stage, if the gang don't accept him here.

It's so hard.

I was though able to find a couple of places that neuter at low cost. One is $55 and the other is $15. I think the latter would be my choice. That is done at the county shelter.

Old July 28th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Senior Contributor

A-G,that sounds great,really cheap
Yes,Tux is on my mind still,this morning there was a big black/white cat in my backyard and I thought it was Tux,but of course it was not
If this is a young cat,not one that has been on his own for too long,he might let you pet him and eventually catch him
Old July 28th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

AG Boris sounds like he needs an angel to look out for him! Not trying to change your mind here at all but just wanted to throw the idea out...is there anywhere in your area that has an immediate intake of a rescue /stray? also if there are any TNR programs even in a local town nearby that may be of help? I worry for you taking in another and it not working out. You will be heart broken if you had to put him back out. So my thinking is work at findinig him another home once he is more trusting and this may be easier on your gang as well...but you have to do what you feel in your heart is best!

Good luck with whatever you decide mf!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston, I think about this constantly. It may come to me finding a rescue for him. I just don't know how the gang will react to another cat. I wish so badly I had some sort of a screened patio or extra room.

I saw him yesterday and he looks like he wants to let me pet him, but he's understandably cautious. I'm going to call the local animal shelter. I read on their website they don't euthanize because of space. So animals that are healthy and socialized/adoptable taken to them can stay there until they find a home. I want to talk to someone to make sure this is the case. Then at least I'll know there is a place he can be until he finds a home.

For now, I don't have to think about that, at least not until he trusts me enough to touch him.

Old July 30th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Boris is a smart kitty

This little guy is smart. Yesterday I came home, and didn't see him anywhere in sight. I went to the spot where I put his food and when I turned around, there he was! He literally came out of nowhere. I backed up and went under the stairs and let him come to the food. After about a minute, I slowly moved away and left him to his food.

This morning, I'm walking down the stairs, and when I get to the 2nd floor, there he is, sitting where there's a balcony, just looking around. He followed me down the stairs and he almost let me touch him. Once I got downstairs, I gave him his food and left him eating.

I talked to Miguel, and he said the little guy has been following him too. I'm thinking he might be like Czari. He doesn't seem totally feral to me. I know he doesn't belong to anyone.

Old July 30th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

A-G,it sounds the same as Tux,he would sit in a bush and as soon as I came out he would come out,but first he had to cross a busy street,he'd watch for the cars and run across when it was safe.
Kitties like Tux and Boris are smart and streetwise,they just have to be,to survive.
Old July 30th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico, that's true. Czari did the same thing. She'd always wait for me in the mornings.