Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 28th, 2004, 10:20 AM

Cat Elemination

For the last few days my cat has be urinating and deficating on 2 different beds. I'm not sure if this is a behavioral problem or medical problem.
His litter box is being changed every week and 1/2.
Any suggestions before I take him to the vet. (he hates the vet.)

Thanks.
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

When you say his box is changed every week and a half, are you scooping and adding litter in between? Scooping it every day? Is he neutered?

If you are, and if this behavior is something new, he may have a urinary tract infection or even crystals in his urine - very common in male cats.

This must be treated by the vet. If he checks out fine, let us know and we will have suggestions for you!
Old July 28th, 2004, 10:51 AM

Every week and a half?????????? Certainly you're scooping it out more often that that? Otherwise, THAT'S your problem. Would you use a dirty toilet? Give us more details so we can better assess your situation.
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

My fastidious puss wants her litter box cleaned constantly. I think she holds it waiting. I always have to scoop twice. After the first scoop, she comes in and quickly uses it again while I step back. Then I get to scoop again.
Regardless, if the behavior has just recently started and is unusual, you're doing the right thing taking him to the vet.
Old July 28th, 2004, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I do in the mean time scoop out the litter and replace it with new litter. He is also neutered.
I've kept his litterbox in the laundry room for 2 years, would it happen to be all of a sudden the washer and dryer is bothering him?
If I take him to the vet what do they do to check for infection?
Old July 28th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Senior Contributor

If the washer/dryer never bothered him before, I doubt it will now, unless something scared him while he was in his box.

You need to take a stool sample to the vet as well. Urine samples need to be clean, so sometimes the vet will have to withdraw some directly from the cat's bladder to test it accurately.

Make the vet appointment, and while you wait, try making sure his box is extra clean, and you might want to lock him in the laundry room, with his food etc overnight to see if he will use the box.
Old July 28th, 2004, 02:36 PM

Thanks for the reply. I just worry about taking him to the vet. He hates it so much. Would they give him something to calm him down you think?
Old July 28th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Kristyn,with one of my males,I have to start getting him into the carrier half an hour before we leave,then he howls in the car,I could swear the whole town hears it
I was once able to take a urine sample myself,just caught him as he started peeing,he gave me a weird look but it's easier than having the vet do it.
One of my cats also went in our bed(hubbies side!) twice,but we had company staying in our guest-room downstairs where the boxes also are(not in the guest-room!)
After they left it never happened again.
All three of my cats,completely freeze at the vet,you can do anything you want to them,do you mean he freaks out at the vets?
If he has a urinary problem,it's very important it's caught early,so a vet is the solution.Maybe the vet will make a house-call,I know mine does.
Old July 28th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Kristin, don't worry about the vet. I've taken many FERAL cats to the vet. Vets know how to handle freaked out cats.
Old July 29th, 2004, 01:55 PM

Smile

Thank you for the replies. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow. And yes he will freak out completely, but it's better to know than not to know.
As of last night (after I went to WalMart and got a new litterbox and litter) he started going in his box again, even this morning.
I think he may just be mad at me for leaving him last weekend.
Thanks Again,