Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old August 17th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Spring '13

Well, Spring is coming in here with the usual equinoxial gales only worse, 65klm gusts, though I read where it got to 106kmh at Mt William, 30 mile away, in the Grampians Mt range. I'm getting in ahead of Spring seeing I'm busy for the next week, then off into hospital for a hopefully short stay. The signs are everywhere though, grass growing fast, roses sending out shoots, irises starting to move. I will start this thread with some Hellebores, nicknamed winter roses but I think they've held out till almost Spring because it was too cold for them this Winter.
The first I think is Blue Metallic Lady, and the third is double burgundy, but have lost track of the name of the second one.
Attached Images

Old August 17th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Pretty ordinary selection so far, sorry. The daff's are miniatures, Tete a Tete.
Attached Images

Old August 18th, 2013, 10:24 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Gorgeous, GF!! Love the hellebores, but pansies are my faves!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 18th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

I love the Hellebores because they are so easy to grow and are great for the shady spots. A good value plant .... though they are expensive come to think of it. Have to agree on pansies, love the colour, and the new ruffled ones.
Old August 18th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor

They're very gorgeous I like them all, I also loves pansies . Our summer is winding down I hope. I do not want anymore heat waves and Marty feel the same

What is the beautiful orange flower called , is that a pansy too? I love the color of it.
Old August 18th, 2013, 08:20 PM

The Hellebores are my favorite, they come up in March through the snow and continue to flower till fall when it snows again. I have the green one, but I think the purple one is so much prettier, I'm going to have to look around for it next spring.
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh I have to say I love the double purple Hellebore also. I don't know how your little flowers have survived those winds mind you GF.
Old August 19th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

I have two nice lemon Hellebores now too, lindapalm, just don't know if they intend to flower this year.
Yes, a pansy, Barkingdog. Lovely clear apricot, isn't it? I almost bought a megapunnet of that colour today, but instead opted for this lovely raspberry pink and white one, below. Some of my garden is sheltered by the house, shrubs etc. but it has become so windy that you can't grow standard roses in the open. I don't bother with them at all. Hope that hyacinth isn't the only one to flower this year.
Attached Images

Old August 19th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
I have two nice lemon Hellebores now too, lindapalm, just don't know if they intend to flower this year.
Yes, a pansy, Barkingdog. Lovely clear apricot, isn't it? I almost bought a megapunnet of that colour today, but instead opted for this lovely raspberry pink and white one, below. Some of my garden is sheltered by the house, shrubs etc. but it has become so windy that you can't grow standard roses in the open. I don't bother with them at all. Hope that hyacinth isn't the only one to flower this year.
I never seen a pansy that color , yes it's very lovely . You have very beautiful flowers .
Old August 19th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Must try and save seeds of some of these pansies this year.
Old October 19th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Senior Contributor

It's Iris time. And what a pity they don't last long.
Attached Images

Old October 19th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Senior Contributor

More of the same.
Attached Images

Old October 19th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

And again. Next weekend I hope to visit an iris garden about 33 miles from here. One of the ladies at the hospital cafeteria had some irises in a vase on the counter and turns out she and her sister are growing them on a scale like I am, but no doubt more successfully. LOL. They'll be newer irises than mine so can't wait to get out there.
Attached Images

Old October 19th, 2013, 08:30 PM

Considering how different and pretty each one is, it is a shame they don't last longer.
Old October 19th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Rose time also.
Mme Alfred Carriere.
4th of July.
Whisky
Attached Images

Old October 19th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Roses are much better value, lindapalm.
Old October 20th, 2013, 01:16 PM

I've never had any luck with roses, gave up on them a long time ago. I'm the type of gardener that tries something once, and if it doesn't work out good the first time the plant doesn't get a second chance.
Old October 20th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Senior Contributor

And I'm the opposite, if it's something I really like, I look for ways to make it happen, then try, try, try again. I failed with irises on my first attempt. Wrong position, full sun, and I didn't realise that in our hot summers the rhizomes are best kept covered almost. Didn't know how much water to give them or that they needed feeding. And Clematis is another thing, finally got one to survive a YEAR.

Ebb Tide
The Nun
Soaring Spirits
Attached Images

Old October 20th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Just Joey.
Mary Rose & some pink Dianthus.
Tall Bearded Iris.
Attached Images

Old October 20th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow! They're all so beautiful! We're having fall right and everything is looking very naked. The ground it covered will colorful leaves .
Old October 20th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, the garden is starting to look lovely, Barkingdog. I thought it great that a visitor said it was like a cottage garden, because that is the sort of garden I am aiming for. Love visiting gardens where you just want to explore and see what little treasures are tucked away. Don't knock your beautiful Fall leaves. The colours in Fall there are superb, unlike our same old, same old nothing, just gum trees. People here flock to a town called Bright in order to see your sort of Autumn colours.
Old October 20th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Geum, which for all I know could grow wild as a wildflower in your countries.
Another, different example of the rose , 4th of July.
Zepherine Drouhin.+
Attached Images

Old October 20th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Yes, the garden is starting to look lovely, Barkingdog. I thought it great that a visitor said it was like a cottage garden, because that is the sort of garden I am aiming for. Love visiting gardens where you just want to explore and see what little treasures are tucked away. Don't knock your beautiful Fall leaves. The colours in Fall there are superb, unlike our same old, same old nothing, just gum trees. People here flock to a town called Bright in order to see your sort of Autumn colours.
the leaves are pretty but trees look so naked now. And I know this mean winter is not far way. and that mean ice which I hate to walk on.
Old October 20th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Not a nice outlook, I agree. You'd have to be super careful on ice. I don't suppose the perfect climate exists anywhere though.
Old October 21st, 2013, 05:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Ah, GF your pics are always spectacular! I don't think it's possible to pick a favourite of your flowers.
Old October 21st, 2013, 06:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

beautiful gardens, gf! didn't get to work much in mine this yr, but they sorta survived anyway! lots of weeding to look forward to next spring, tho

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 22nd, 2013, 12:43 AM
Senior Contributor

DD, imagine what I could do if I had a good camera. LOL.

Know the feeling, Hazel. I haven't done much this year either. Never mind, we should both really enjoy next year, making up for lost time.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:42 PM
Senior Contributor

3 quickies. The rose is Pascali. The lemon iris is called Lemon Mist. Don 't recall the name of the peach and lavender iris.
Attached Images

Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:55 PM

The peach and lavender one is so pretty, how many different shades of iris do you have? All I have left out here are some muddy begonias that I hate to give up on. Even the colored leaves are just about done, so everything looks blah.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 10:12 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't know how many different colours, lindapalm, because there are irises there that I have never seen flower yet. They are in front of a big shrub that may be taking water away from them or giving too much shade. When I do a new bed they can be shifted. I also have a heap in big pots that haven't bloomed. Only one new one out today, one I haven't seen before.
Attached Images