Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 12th, 2013, 02:08 PM

One dog or two?

Hello,

I'm a first time dog owner who is looking to adopt a rescue dog and have come to like an older bonded pair (a 7 year old spayed pom-sheltie, and a 3 year old neutered min pin-yorkie). Now, never owned a dog before I was wondering if any dog owners out there would be able to tell me what's the benefit to having 2 dogs vs. 1? Also, if anyone could weigh in on whether you need to be a more experienced dog owner to care for 2 dogs or if it's possible to take care of them even though it will be your first dog, it would be much appreciated!
Old May 12th, 2013, 02:31 PM

If they are a per and already bonded should make things easier on that end - my dog hated our second puppy for a while. I personally love having two dogs and I also like knowing that when Im not home they keep each other company. I think really the difference from 1vs 2 is well, double training, food, vet bills, responsibility but its also double fun; my dos are small too one is yorkie/pom and the other chihuahua/dashund.

Not sure as a first time owner as i have had dogs since i was a kid, but, sometimes it can feel a bit overwhelming but for the most part its the best thing in the world to have the little monsters around.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old May 12th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

That would be fun!! Since they're both out of puppyhood shouldn't be hard and they're small so shouldn't be unmanageable to walk both together. I can't see feeding two would be much more expensive either
Old May 12th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with what Jull and pattymac are saying but the pom/sheltie, is it a barker? Shelties are very noisy dogs. If you live somewhere that barking won't be an issue for neighbors to complain about then okay, just thought a heads up was warranted. Poms are noisy also.