Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:26 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG - Bright Red Blood in Bunduk's Stool

I am freaking out. Called the vet - we have an appointment at 4pm. Bunduk is acting normal, nuzzling me..I only noticed something was wrong when he turned around after headbutting me - the fur on his back end had bright red streaks and his anal area had a bright red ring around it.

I ran to check the litter box and sure enough there is a large stool. First part of it seems normal, last bit of it is a bit loose, with this blob of bright red blood at the end.

The only thing I can think is different is that he may have consumed is carnation leaves. My moms friend bought her carnations and apparently Onnie and Bunduk were eating them up before I found out and moved them into a closed area.

Last edited by onster; September 2nd, 2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:32 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

He may have broken some blood vessels and should be just fine. Good to take him to the vet anyways.

Good luck today.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks L4H...its really scary.
Have any of your cats had this?

Ive seen a little ring of pink/red on his bum before, when he was a baby but I never worried about it as I never found blood in the litter box and his poops were so weird when he was a baby and cuz of all the weird things he chewed got into.

Ive never seen blood streaks on his fur before..or blob in the litter box :sad:
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:37 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yes, Puddles gets constipated every once in a while and I see some blood on her stools. Her next one is fine so I don't worry too much. Bright red means the blood is coming from the rectum area, not higher up in the intestines where bleeding could be a symptom of something serious.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Onster dont worry he will be okay! This has happened to both of mine before! I freaked out too! The vet said exactly what L4H said!

My boy had some trouble with his one anal glad...it had absessed a bit but no big deal really! Glad he is getting it checked!

Since I changed them over to the new food I havent noticed it in a long time!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 2nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
~Cat Servent~

Good luck at the vets!

That's happened here before when Buddy had a HUGE poop. He was fine the next day and back to regular pooping. Hopefully thats all it was for Bunduk... maybe he was pushing to hard.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old September 2nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the input and goodwishes guys!

The vet said that upon physical examination there doesnt seem to be anything wrong, and just to watch his pooping habits closely for the next while and see if theres any more blood. Hopefully its just a one off

On returning from the vet though bunduk has been trying to get rid of a nasty hairball as far as I can tell...i gave him some olive oil and he lapped it up, hopefully it will help. Its making me extra nervous though, the hacking and all.

When we were breaking our fast just now, Onnie was in sight but Bunduk was no where to be found...which is odd for him, he always sticks with us, especially when there is food on the table (beggar). I found him asleep on the floor of my room...weird..but then again as soon as he saw me he started contorting himself and purmeowing for belly rubs. I think he's just having a bad day..poor baby :sad: