Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old January 5th, 2010, 10:51 AM

cats vs constipation

I know i have a couple years with her but my 13 year old female white cat has been constipated for the last 2 days. i don't know what else i could do other than feed her fibers and a quarter pill of laxative. Any other tricks I could do to help her?
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

You are speaking with the queen of kitty constipation! After a neuro prob, one of my guys deveoped chronic constipation which is not likely the case yet with your kitty. I have found, and I was sceptical until I saw the results, slippery elm mixed into the food with a bit of water. Also, increase kitty's water intake either with syringe or watering his food. If there remains a problem, or if it gets to the point kitty is vomitting due to tryng to strain too hard, immediate visit to the vet.
Good luck. I am sure there will lots of other advise coming, but after 4 manual evacuations on my guy, I never miss his meds, metamcil or slippery elm, but as I said, he is a chronic medical case.

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor

What does your kitty normally eat? Has she been to the vet recently for a check-up?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:40 AM

Unhappy cat vs constipation

My cat is actually 13 years old and i tend to change her food every odd month. she hasn't been to the vet in a couple year(one can't afford it and to its hell when i bring her.... she split the vet's arm last time we went) I"m trying to avoid the vet for now but willing to consider it if i have to
Old January 5th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbey View Post
My cat is actually 13 years old and i tend to change her food every odd month.
Is that dry or wet food?

The reason I'm asking about a check-up is because dehydration can cause constipation, and in an older cat, dehydration can be caused by a number of medical conditions (like diabetes, kidney disease, hyperthyroidism).

Dry food also causes chronic low-level dehydration, so if you're feeding only kibble, I highly recommend switching to a good quality wet food. www.catinfo.org

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 5th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
what else i could do other than feed her fibers and a quarter pill of laxative.
What is this laxative you mentioned, and have you given it to her yet?

Old January 5th, 2010, 12:12 PM

Cat vs constipation

I feed her both... when 6:00pm comes she's begging for her wet food. I feed her the Friskies cans since its what she seems to like. I just bought a bag of Purina cat food and she seems to like it... maybe the iams wasn't all that good to her after all.... every day she gets half a can. i don't want to over-do it but she looks in pain(she has heart breaking facial expressions...):sad:
Old January 5th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Please read the catinfo link above about why kibble isn't good for cats. While Friskies canned ain't the best, it's still better than any dry food, especially Purina or Iams. It would really be a good idea to stop feeding dry.

If she's acting like she's in pain, I urge you to take her to the vet. She may need an enema.

Is she urinating okay? Is she still eating and drinking?

Old January 5th, 2010, 01:26 PM

cat vs constipation

She still drinks water, eats but not as much.... planning on feeding her tuna tonight... will help her out a little. I caught her this morning peeing on my shoe mat. I think she's ok on that end...
Old January 5th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Please do what you can to get your kitty to the vet. She may be severly constipated which can lead to death if not treated.

I would not give any meds unless approved by a vet.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I caught her this morning peeing on my shoe mat. I think she's ok on that end...
Are you sure she's constipated and doesn't have a urinary tract infection/inflammation instead? They can appear similar, with straining in the litter box a common characteristic of both. Peeing outside the box is also a frequent sign of urinary tract issues. I really think she needs to see a vet if this doesn't magically get better by the end of the day. Do you have any friends or family that can lend you money? Maybe your vet will agree to some sort of payment plan.

And definitely don't give her any human laxatives, or fibre for that matter. Adding fibre to the diet of a cat that's constipated due to dehydration will make things much worse. Human laxatives can be deadly to cats, who have a different physiology that doesn't process medications the same way we do.

Old January 5th, 2010, 02:41 PM

well last something similar happened i gave her a bit of laxative and she ended up redecorating my tub(i know smart cat to do that in the tub) so i'm hoping that this time it will help and end up going to buy a fountain for her since she likes the running water... If she is not better when i get home i will take her to the vet tomorrow and see what they have to say.
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:56 AM

I hope your kitty is doing better today.
I agree with the issue of the possible
urinary tract infection.
Get well wishes for your sweet kitty,
Tig's mom & Tiger <^..^>
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Tobby, if you come back on line, let us know how your kitty is. Any poop yet?
Old January 7th, 2010, 03:20 PM

she started using the litter box again but sleeps most of the time on my bed by the baseboard. i went to the vet yesterday and a whole lot of nothing. They wanted to do a urine test or a blood test. we ended up giving her fluids and i have a bottle of lactolose(which i'm still trying to figure out a way to give her) Tonight i'm changing her food. see if she like the other bag better. Other than that seems to me she walking the last mile.... i hope she gets better!!
Old January 7th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

So you didn't have a blood panel or urninalysis done

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 7th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
i have a bottle of lactolose(which i'm still trying to figure out a way to give her)
One of my guys takes lactulose daily to keep his stools soft, and prevent constipation. Problem is, if kitty is already really constipated, it won't relieve the problem...it is not a laxative, only a stool softener.
I find using a syringe, which hopefully your vet gave you with the medication, and mixing it with more water because it is very sweet and orangy, not a kitty's favourite flavour and letting kitty swallow as you administer slowly, works best.
I think I would consider the blood work at least. You said she was about 13years old? She should have a senior wellness panel done just to get an overall basis of what may be going on.
On the financial side, because I know it is a consideration to you, bear in mind an enema is about $60.00 according to Ontario vet guidelines, an evacuation, with anesthesia, is around $350.00 and may become necessary and a blood panel is about $100.00 including blood collection. (I got these figures from receipts in my files and are pretty current and rounded off)
This is just my opinion, but at her age, and to keep her from having to leave you too soon, I really urge the blood panel at least.
Good luck and thanks for letting us know what is going on.
Old January 7th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
They wanted to do a urine test or a blood test.
It's really too bad that you didn't have any tests done, that's kinda the whole point of taking her to the vet. Even just a simple urinalysis can tell you so much about what might be going on.

Quote:
we ended up giving her fluids .......

......see if she like the other bag better.
If she was dehydrated enough to need fluids, continuing to feed her dry food is not going to help with that. Once again, I urge you to read this link: www.catinfo.org and to start feeding only wet food.

Old January 12th, 2010, 03:17 PM

I just want to tell you all that she is doing great. Tobbey is back to normal!!! she's a tough cookie and does certain things to show me thats something is wrong. i changed her food and now she's back to normal. i was wrong to panic so quickly... but then again it got me thinking and changing her food.