Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old July 25th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Could I be feeding too little?

Okay, I'm wondering if I may be feeding the gang too little food.

I split two cans between the 5 in the morning and then another 2 can's in the evening. Each cat gets two tablespoons in the morning and then two in the evening. When I only had Vlad and Oksana, I was splitting two cans a day between them and they rarely ate all of their food.

But I'm thinking I'm giving them too little. I managed to stop the dry free feeding so they all just eat canned. I've been weighing them monthly, and so far the last 3 times they have been weighed, Vlad and Oksana have been steady and Maks and Kiska have been gaining a good amount of weight.

I do notice the girls usually don't eat as much as the boys so I think between them all they are all getting what they need.

Still, how much do you guys typically feed your cats? I don't want to starve my gang but I don't want to give them so much they will have weight issues.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 25th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, i am obviously no expert on food, but it seems like a pretty reasonable amount to me. And as long as there weight isnt decreasing and they are healthy i dont see the problem! lol..
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old July 25th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I figure it works out to just about a little less than a can a day for each, which I think is probably what they need.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old July 25th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Sounds good to me. I think rather than focusing on how much they eat, it's always a good idea to keep track of how much they weigh. That's ultimately what counts. If they're getting fat, feed less, if they're too skinny, feed more.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Kitty pimp

i am nit sure what kind of canned but i know with wellness the recommend is 3 cans or about 6 ozs i can seems like a liitle bit to little Du eats about 2 cans a day and is stedy at 12.5 lbs

amanda on the other hand will eat all day all the time but only gets 2 cans a day and abour a thrrid a cup of dry
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
i am nit sure what kind of canned but i know with wellness the recommend is 3 cans or about 6 ozs
If you're talking about the little cans, each one is 3 oz, so 3 cans = 9 oz. The medium cans are 5.5 oz each and the biggest ones are 12.5 oz.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks SCM. I think then I'm okay with what they are eating. They are all pretty steady as far as weight. In fact I had been worried that Maks might be a little under weight, but he's gained weight the last couple of times I've taken him in and since he's still growing then he's getting what he needs. I buy the 5oz. Wellness grain free.

Old July 25th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Mine 3 girls get one can in the morning and one can in the evening split between the 3 of them. They don't eat it all, so what your feeding sounds like it's just about perfect. Mine still are free fed dry, but they don't eat a lot of it either, they may eat a whole cup once a week of the dry.

Cindy
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:20 AM
chronically insane.

That's more then I feed actually.

2 of my cats won't eat wet and only eat about half a cup of dry food each per day so they are out of the equation

My 5 other cats and 5 foster kittens get a minimum of 12 oz of wet for dinner, which equals I give them a 5.5 oz can (usually something by Merrick) and top it off with half a big can of either Innova Evo or Wellness chicken grain free.

Sometimes they get a 5.5 oz can of BG canned meats though for a snack
I think you don't feed dry though but the ones that eat wet food don't eat much dry food. Only Socks and Kasey refuse wet, but Missy is the piggy and will eat as much as she can shove down her throat.

Do your cats tell you when they are hungry? Mine do. If they are telling you it's not enough, then give them a bit more. But you have less cats then me and it sounds like you are feeding them as much food as my cats+kittens eat in 1.5 days (assuming my parents don't over feed them...)

Ignore me if I did my math wrong... I hate math!

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old July 26th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

LOL, Kathryn, I didn't even try to do the math. I really stink at it. They usually let me know if they are hungry so I'm probably good.

CLM, I don't feed my gang much dry. I've been able to get them either to stop eating it or just eat little. Their weight is steady and they don't act like they're hungry all the time. I actually just gave them a little snack and none of them ate it all, so I think I'm fine.

Old July 26th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
so I think I'm fine.
I think you're awesome! I wouldn't change a thing.

Old July 26th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks! I've been struggling with them for a while and I'm happy I've finally gotten them to really like Wellness and eat just the right amount.