Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 14th, 2010, 10:55 PM

Neutering complications - worried

My Buddy was neutered on wed 5.5.10. The first night when we brought him home he was totally out of it. I was so worried that I used an infant medicine dropper to get water into him. He never moved, just stayed larthargic the whole night. I had noticed that his scrotom looked swollen (about the size of a tennis ball) and he was really bruised near/around his penis. The next day, he was not much better, still out of it, not really coming to. It wasn't til later that night that he began to show "life" again. I had to still give him water with the dropper, and hand fed him cheese, meat and other things he liked, as he wouldn't really eat either. Well, on the third day, we took off his cone for a little while. When we didn't see him, he had ripped out a few stitches. We put the cone back on, and using the cone, he finished the job of ripping out the remaining stitches. This past wed, when the swelling began to get really bad, and he was beginning to bleed, we brought him back to the vet. He did another surgery, not quite sure what he did exactly, other then close him up and he gave us some antibiotics. He began to swell again, and then yesterday, began to bleed, alot (IMO). We never took the cone off of him this time, and hand fed him all the time. Today, when you touched his one leg, he cried out very badly, and began to really bleed. We took him to the vet first thing, and he "milked" the blood out, saying this was normal, but it had backed up, and that we should do this too. Now, only 10 hrs later, he's back to where he was this morning. I am so worried. This just can't be normal. I've never had a dog fixed before, just used to cats that rebound in no time flat. Today when we left the Vet, he told us to bring him back on tomorrow (Sat). But we've decided to bring him somewhere else. Has anyone else ever had a dog have this kind of complications after neutering?
Oh, he does eat/drink a little if we hand feed him, but we again cannot touch the one leg without him crying out. We were also not given any kind of pain meds for him, or told what/how we could address any after pain.
Old May 14th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Ummmm, yeah. NO!!!!

Take him to a different vet. A neuter is a fairly simple, straight forward procedure that doesn't involve the leg at all and most certainly should not cause leg tenderness. I have never, in 30 years of owning (and speutering) dogs, heard of having to drain blood from the incision.
Old May 14th, 2010, 11:19 PM

I would definitely take him to a different vet. I did have some complications with one pug, but he was about 5 yrs old when we rescued him, and it is a lot harder on an older dog. He is also paralyzed in the back legs, so he scooted on the "balls" and they became very inflamed. He finally burst a small hole in one testicle, and the dried blood could escape, and then he healed up quite quickly after that. the blood there was very dark, but if you are seeing bright red fresh blood, you have a problem that should be looked at sooner rather than later.

On some dogs they may need anti-inflammatory to reduce the swelling, which also encourages them to move around more, which helps the swelling also.
Old May 15th, 2010, 04:30 PM
chronically insane.

Hi jfmcrazy, I work in a spay/neuter clinic down in south jersey. I can tell you that it is a common complication for older/larger male dogs to get a scrotal hematoma. That's why I always recommend having a dog neutered before they have a chance to get too big

Please seek a second opinion. Feel free to PM me if you need any help since you are somewhat local.

Do you know what kind of meds he is on? Usually cephalexin works very good for post-op infections in spays/neuters. Also if your dog is in pain like that even my shelter would likely put him on some sort of anti-inflammatory (such as rimadyl). It's pretty insane that the vet is making you come back all these times, not giving you a direct answer and since this is a private practice he really should be medicating your dog a bit better.

Also, if you have any way of doing so, if you could post a picture of the surgical area I can give you just a general medical opinion, but of course I am not a vet, but have no problem comparing it to some other cases I have observed.

Hope your doggy feels better soon!

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
Hi jfmcrazy, I work in a spay/neuter clinic down in south jersey. I can tell you that it is a common complication for older/larger male dogs to get a scrotal hematoma. That's why I always recommend having a dog neutered before they have a chance to get too big

Please seek a second opinion. Feel free to PM me if you need any help since you are somewhat local.

Do you know what kind of meds he is on? Usually cephalexin works very good for post-op infections in spays/neuters. Also if your dog is in pain like that even my shelter would likely put him on some sort of anti-inflammatory (such as rimadyl). It's pretty insane that the vet is making you come back all these times, not giving you a direct answer and since this is a private practice he really should be medicating your dog a bit better.

Also, if you have any way of doing so, if you could post a picture of the surgical area I can give you just a general medical opinion, but of course I am not a vet, but have no problem comparing it to some other cases I have observed.

Hope your doggy feels better soon!
Well, we did bring him back to the original Vet. Until this occurred, we've never had a problem with him. He really is a great vet. I think, however, the word has gotten out about him. He's open 7 days a week, you don't need an appt, and his fees are at least 50% if not more less then most vets. Alot of rescue organizations use him (ALS and more) This I know for a fact, as I used to go to someone else. You can call him 24/7 as he lives right above his clinic... He's always available. I've been going to him for about 10 years now...He really does care about the animal. He has not charged me for the 2nd surgery nor the additional office visits, only for the meds.
As for Buddy.. today was a much better day. No bleeding, the swelling is beginning to go down, but he still is favoring his one leg. Buddy has been on Amoxicillian (250mg) 2 times a day since last wednesday, and today he put him on Previcoxx (227mg) 1/2 pill once a day. He seems to be brooding because we are keeping that stupid cone on him for precaution, and his appetite has improved. I gave him can of dog food (we don't ususally give him moist food though), and he ate it all up, plus drank alot of water. He did a slow walk with my husband, and has urinated fine. We think the worst is over, and I thank God for all of you here. I was so besides myself with all of this going on, and not having any experience at all with the neuturing of a dog. We are basically a cat family (currently having 3 as well), but have always had a dog. However, we've never fixed any of our dogs, just our cats. Its so amazing how fast a male and even a female cat rebounds after being fixed in comparison to a dog. I hope this picture comes out. I took it with my camera phone.
He did yelp when I gently picked up his leg to photograph this, but he is taking slow walks with my husband. We have to urge him to get up, but we believe getting him up and walking is better then moping around.
I will definately keep everyone here posted... You all have been a big help.
julz
Old May 16th, 2010, 11:56 PM

UPDATE
Buddy is doing so much better today. No bleeding, more life and enthusiasm, and is getting around so much better. We are still keeping the cone on him when we cannot monitor him (he still wants to keep licking his wound). But overall... WOOO HOOO, he's almost my old (well not really old.. not quite 2),but he's my Buddy once again!
Thank you everyone for your advise and support.
julz

Tags
bleeding, complications, neutered, neutering, swelling