Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old October 29th, 2004, 12:00 PM

Do Hounds Really Freak People Out That Much?

Seems like since I put a message on the forum with the word "foxhound" in the title, people have read it but no responses.

What's up with that? They aren't bad dogs to have as pets you know.

I will admit that they are stubborn and hard to train to come when called, but it can be done and Deejay has proven many people wrong!

With love and patience, I have been able to train him to go off leash in several parks in my area with no major problems. Sure when he's sniffing around he's all of a sudden hard of hearing, but overall he's doing amazing.

Yes, I am still looking to find him a new home because I think he would do better with folks that can spend more time with him.

He also loves to walk, and needs 3 good walks a day. This would be ideal for someone who is very active. I take him biking and rollerblading in the summer and he just loves it!

He's also starting to retrieve balls in the park.

There are so many things people will tell you about certain breeds, but like all breeds, it always comes down to the owner I think.

Sure foxhounds are harder to train in recalll then most other breeds, but if you are consistent, patient and loving they too will respond.

Sorry but I just wanted to state that because I've been trying to spark interest in anyone who may be looking to adopt him.

Foxhounds are such sweet dogs...you'll never know until you have one!
Old October 29th, 2004, 12:37 PM
<-----nut ball

I don't know about other people, but I didn't respond because you already had another post saying you were adopting it out and I thought it was a duplicate.

I would love to adopt him, but I see your situation, even though you may not agree, is a lot better then mine. I can't recall for sure, but you have a house, with a yard? I only have an apartment. If you take him for three good walks a day, that's amazing. I could only do one long and 2 short walks.

What I guess I'm getting at is that most people out there are looking to adopt their dogs to people like you, not me. I think it's amazing what you are doing with him, and I don't understand why you are giving him up. I know you had a problem with a neighbour, but I would rather move before giving up a dog. And i know you said you had less time now, but quality is more important than quantity. I know Toronto, and there can be some really annoying people out there, but I think you should still reconsider adopting.

I would love to take your dog in a second!! I love Hounds! But the canadian hound rescue turned down my application because they don't adopt to apartments.

I was wondering if maybe you would like some time away from the dog to think things through, I could take the dog and look after it for a few weeks and see how he works in an apartment. Then if you decide you want him back and don't want to adopt him out, you can have him back. If he works out where I am, I could always offer to adopt him from you.....

Maybe I'm crazy suggesting it. I think hounds are amazing...
Old October 29th, 2004, 12:50 PM

why do you think it's his breed why you don't get responses?
it's not easy to rehome a pet, that's why so many good dogs die in shelters every day - there simply are too many irresponsible owners who don't stick to their commitments, and not enough good homes to correct these owners' mistakes.

good luck with finding a better home for your dog, but keep in mind - it might be not possible, not easy, or not safe for the dog...
if you really love this dog and feel responsible for his life, please reconsider to keep him with you, he will adjust to your life style with time and it will be far more fair to him than giving him away to a stranger.
unfortunately there are too many good dogs in need out there, and not as many good homes for them :sad:
Old October 29th, 2004, 01:56 PM

Hi Raingirl-

Thanks for your response. I may be coming accross as sounding irresponsible by the way I express myself through these forums but I don't think that I am.

I've given so much to this dog in the past year and if my situation was different I wouldn't even be considering adopting him out.

If I continue to put this dog first, not only has my relationship suffered, but I may lose my job because I'm not flexible enough. There are many times when I need to work late on deadlines but have had to leave because of the dog. I will have to start travelling more, and cannot afford these doggie sitters. For example, for the two weeks that I'll be away in Dec/Jan, if I leave him with a sitter it will cost me between $35-45 a day!

Anyhow, I'm also taking night courses, which means I have even less time with him. I feel so guilty I can't take it anymore.

Deejay is an amazing dog, and I don't think having a bigger apartment has anything to do with it cause when he's inside he just chills. Sure he's playful but for the most part he just chills out on his bed.

He definately needs to be walked at least 3 times a day, but they all don't have to be great big long walks. As long as he gets one good walk a day that's all that counts.

I'm really interested in your idea about looking after him for a bit to see how it goes...I don't think anyone wouldn't enjoy Deejay.

Let me know...
Old October 29th, 2004, 01:59 PM
<-----nut ball

I don't have a lot of experience with dogs, but I would love to take him for a trial run. YOu live in Toronto right? I work downtown, maybe we could meet somewhere and I could meet your dog? Send me a Private message.
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:11 PM

I have a foxhound right now and we go to the off-the-leash park everyday for at least an hour. I found in the beginning that she needed 4 or five walks a day to be satisfed but going to the park and letting her run with the other dogs fixes that problem. The minute she comes home she lays down for the rest of the day. You and I both know that is odd for a hound! Do you have a picture of him?
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:12 PM

I work downtown too, where do you work? I'm at King & Bay - Commerce Court West.

How do you send a private message?
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:15 PM
<-----nut ball

Hahah!! That's hilarious. I'm across the street from you! I'm at First Canadian Place!!

If you click on my name there is a menu that drops down where one of the options is to send me a private message
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:19 PM

I found too that since I could let him off leash to run with the other dogs he was so much happier!

They said it couldn't be done with this breed...but like I said with patience and training he's come so far.

I've got to get the pics scanned soon.
Old November 1st, 2004, 01:36 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Whatever happened here? Did you two ever hook up? Was it a happy ending? Let us know...enquiring minds need to know !!!
Old November 1st, 2004, 03:15 PM
<-----nut ball

haha. we are going to get together this week and meet up for coffee and work out the details.

I actually met a woman with a foxhound this weekend. What an amazing dog!
Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:33 AM

Yes, Raingirl and I are meeting up this afternoon to talk...will see what happens.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Good luck I hope it works out for both of you.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 2nd, 2004, 03:17 PM

Well Raingirl and I met and will be arranging for her and BF to meet Deejay.

We're not rushing into anything, will see how it goes. In the meanwhile I still will look for others who might be interested.

Any suggestions?

I'm going to post on Petfinders, Adopt-a-Dog and at the Vets.
Old August 5th, 2007, 03:44 PM

not me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 5th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Really old post.
Old August 7th, 2007, 09:03 AM

i think hounds are great dogs.
it's a loss for those who don't respect them.
:3