Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Elderly chihuahuas R us

Cushing's Disease (loss of use of limbs)

Wanted to ask about Cushing's Disease, please!

I've run a search here on the Pets.ca site and have found several threads as well as a very informative article on this disease, but haven't seen anything addressing my specific situation.

My 17-yr-old Chihuahua has already lost the use of her back two limbs due to Cushing's.

She was walking just fine last April but by August had lost use of both rear legs, despite being on the medication by then.

Two previous vets had each noticed something wrong with her for months before that, but didn't know what exactly the problem was. I took her to a new vet and he figured it out after looking at her for 3 minutes. So, we were a bit late to get her into meaningful treatment.

I notice these last two days that she is holding her left front paw up in the air now, as if it were injured, but inspecting it carefully, I don't see any reason to think that it is injured per se. I am thinking this is a Cushing's thing, that she might next lose the use of her front limbs too.

Would anyone have any comments/information for me about loss of use of limbs as a result of Cushing's? Is this degenerative progression normal? Should I be pushing for more (or different) medication? (She is on 10mg of Adrestan (10mg trilostane, same as Vetoryl in the USA/UK), every other day, for 2 kg body weight.)

She's a super interesting dog with lots of spunk and I am horrified at the possibility that she might lose her ability to get around.

We have cancer surgery scheduled for a different dog on Thursday morning first thing, so I'll take her in then to get the paw checked out (and probably another cortisol check).

BTW I also ran a search on the forums at www.k9cushings.com but didn't have much luck finding anything specific to our situation, so I thought I'd ask here first.

Oh, and for diet, I have her (and everyone else) on a homecooked diet, with occasional meals of Innova Evo fish for days when I'm unable to cook.