Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old April 18th, 2007, 11:15 AM

Unhappy RIP lil squirrel

I have been successful at living for 30 years without hitting an animal on the road. Today at lunch time I hit and killed a little squirrel. I am so traumatized that I can't even function, much less stop crying. I sat in my car for 30 mins just sobbing, and now I'm at my desk (at work) with some dark sunglasses on crying my eyes out. I'm just so sensitive to animals and I love them all so dearly. I feel horrible. I did everything I could short of driving off the road into a ditch, to keep from hitting him. I felt him under my tires, looked back and he was lying on his back with his legs up in the air. I will NEVER forget that. I am so sick. I just can't stop crying.
lil squirrel..I am so very, very sorry :sad:

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I am so sorry, and I know how you must feel.
Please remember, that had you tried harder to save the squirrel, you are the one that could have been killed, or you may have killed somone else trying to avoid him.
You did the best you could, and sometimes animals zig when they should have zagged.

RIP little squirrel.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I'm sorry too Mahealani770,

I have almost gotten into several accidents myself trying to avoid hitting animals. And I did hit a seagul once and also felt horrible. Why did that have to happen to you an animal lover?....There's really no explaining these things. Take solace in the fact that you tried your best not to hit the animal.

little squirrel

Mahealani770

Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:36 PM

:sad: *HUGS* for you, Mahealani.

(ps. you've got mail)
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:42 PM

I know how you feel as well. It is a terrible feeling - I once did the same thing with a squirrel who zipped out on the road - I saw him ahead of time so I actually stopped and when I thought he was all the way to the other side he zipped back under my car!

Coming back from the lake in really heavy traffic this mother duck decided to lead her babies out onto the highway! My husband was driving and he basically had to drive right over them because the traffic was wall to wall and there was no where to go.

I'll never forget these two incidents. It really disturbes me because, like you, I love all creatures! I'm really sorry that happened to you cause I know how terrible you feel but sometimes it is hard to avoid.
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:53 PM

:sad: In 2005 driving at night I hit a deer on the freeway - it ruined my car and the deer was killed instantly - I was so traumatized knowing that I had killed a deer. I was told that I was very fortunate to walk away from the accident. My only recollection of the accident was seeing the deer run out in front and smash over the car - still to this day when seeing dead deer on the hwy I get teary.
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:00 PM

Awww I'm sorry you had to have this experience Mahealani.
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Half Way To Crazy

We all had our little accidents with little animals and we all feel bad, but the little squarell was not meant to live in this world, he was meant to go to rainbow bridge where he could play with all the others that have passed away. think about it he will be able to keep all the other fur babies busy and happy while he is there. YOU were meant to live in this world, cause if you ended up in the ditch or hit someone else you might not be here !! so grieve no more he will be happy where he is
Old April 18th, 2007, 09:45 PM

Thank you so much everyone for sharing your sad stories and for the kind words of support. I am so sorry that you all experienced what you have. It's a horrible feeling knowing that I've killed a living thing and I'm going to be traumatized for a long time. I have been unable to stop crying all day and here it is almost 11:00 at night. My head is hurting and my eyes are puffy and burning so I'm going to take a sedative and go to bed.
Thanks again, I appreciate all of you.

P.S. Breeze - I never thought about it like that, thank you.

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999

Last edited by Mahealani770; April 19th, 2007 at 07:17 AM.
Old April 18th, 2007, 09:55 PM

Sorry, Mahealani. :sad: I've hit a beasty before too. :sad:
Old April 19th, 2007, 11:30 AM

You sound so kind hearted, sorry about what happened. It was not your fault. There are so many squirrels living in residental areas and they have a habbit of running in front of cars. Every year we see a lot of them lying dead on the road. Have you ever thought of helping at a shelter? It is very rewarding.
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:26 AM
Animal Nut!

I know exactly how you feel. I hit a little bird once, and I was totally devistated.

Its good to feel hurt for animals that are wild, it shows you have a great big heart.

I also found a hedgehog on the road, he had been hit, and left to die, I took him to the SPCA, who decided it was best to "let him go to heaven"... I cried and cried and cried.

Your not alone when it comes to being upset about animals, it shows you are a great compassionate person - dont ever change that side of you.

Pam, Lexie and Quin

R.I.P. Cassie, one of my greatest LOVES. My Rotti.(The Gentle Giant).

We all seek the same in life, friendship, love, companionship and faithfulness, all this we can get unconditionally from an animal. Makes you wonder why we humans think we're so bloody special!
Old April 21st, 2007, 07:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww Mahealani,I've never so far hit anything on the road and hope I never will
Seeing all the dead animals on the road is enough to make me cry,we can only hope their deaths were a quick one.
A little squirrel is probably killed instantly.
On my street we have over-head wires and our smart Squirrels use them to cross the street.
In the spring when the babies are born,we see more dead squirrels on the road,they have not yet learned to use the wires.
Your little guy is watching you from the Bridge,seeing your tears,content knowing someone cared about his little life:love: