Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Closed Thread

Old April 14th, 2010, 10:14 AM

small dog with anal gland rupture

hi,
i have a chihuahua, I think he's the deer type one but not sure since my dad friend gave it to us. Since Friday I noticed he has been licking his bottom part alot, and everybody in my family thought it was because he was bitten by a mosquito but on Monday while my little sister was showering for him she noticed it was swollen and my little brother looked it up and said he had anal gland. we told our mom but she keeps on saying its a mosquito bite. since sunday night till tuesday afternoon, he lost his appetite, been tired out alot and his behavior got even more aggressive than before. after i got home from my classes I noticed on his blanket there was some small stain and I noticed there was a hole in his swollen part. my little brother said its anal gland rupture and we have been trying to convince my mom to take him to the vet but she keeps on saying that it will get better after the pus comes out. there was no blood at all in the rupture.

he was still feeling a bit uncomfortable but my mom decided to put a band-aid over his small rupture to easy the pain a bit. after the band-aid he seems to be back to normal. he's running around playing and eating. but im worry about his rupture. i been trying to find out more on it but no help on the internet so i was hoping somebody can help me.

is it okay to put a band-aid over the rupture part? it isn't really big. and we use warm water and lightly clean it before putting a band-aid over it. we did that because my dog keeps on licking it and we were afraid it may get infected by it. the vets in my area closes at 6 and my parent's usually get home late on the weekdays. I told her he needs to go to a vet to check the rupture part to make sure its not infected and he may need cream but my mom says he will be fine.

I check his rupture this morning and it seems dry a bit, that part of the area is still red but its not as swollen as before. im gonna try to convince my mom to take him on saturday but she works early that day so we're not sure.

can somebody please give me some advice on what to do about it, my dog isn't in as much pain as before just that he keeps on wanting to lick that area and my little brother wants to get him the neck cone to prevent him from licking it.
Old April 14th, 2010, 10:19 AM

Welcome to Pets.ca

Unfortunately our members are not vets and unable to address potentially serious health issues like this one. Time is critical - please contact a vet immediately. Good luck, we'll watch for an update on your pet's condition. In keeping with site policy, this thread will now be closed.
Closed Thread