Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 19th, 2005, 07:20 PM

Location: I live in Pine Mountain Club. It is a small comunity in the Mountains of Southern California.
Question Ringed Turtle Dove Care

A friend found a ringed turtle dove and gave it to me & hubby to care for. I used google to find out what I could about ringed turtle doves. Based on all I could find to read we made the choice to keep it (Him/Her?). We have named her Lovey. :love: We have a nice big green house kitchen window that we have made into a nice home for Lovey. We can close the blinds to keep her in the window area. We seldom do this. The information I read said it was good for her to fly around the house to get exercize so we let Lovey go wherever she wants. She follows us from room to room and seems to like our company. I am feeding her fortified parakeet food with grit added for digestion. I can't seem to get her to try any type of fruit.
Now for my questions. Does anyone one out there know how I can tell if it is male or female? What is the life expectancy of a ringed turtle dove? What is a good why to temp Lovey to try new foods? Is there a better seed mix that I should get? Any special needs I should provide for?
We truly enjoy Lovey and want to do all we can for her. Any help you can send an ignorant new bird owner will be appreciated by us and Lovey