Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old December 29th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Adding Taurine to cat diet

It's been suggested to me that I try to add more Taurine to Billy's diet as the only thing he will eat now is Purina kitten chow (don't kill me, I know!!!). I cringe too, LOL! But I'm told it's lacking Taurine for older cats, which is a key needed nutrient for cancer diets. This is all new to me, so does anyone have any suggestions on how I go about adding this to his diet? It's found in meat, right? I'm also told to avoid aged protein, and he won't eat raw. Are there any kind of supplements that anyone knows of by chance? I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!
Old December 29th, 2006, 02:12 AM

I get the biologic vet salmon oil, so I checked out their site and they've got a couple with taurine (and they might help a lot of other things too):

http://www.biologicnr.com/biologicve...ts/bioskin.htm
http://www.biologicnr.com/biologicve...s/biojoint.htm
http://www.biologicnr.com/biologicve...s/biovites.htm (the only one with a higher amount of taurine in it- 15mg)

This is the one I use:
http://www.biologicnr.com/biologicve...ts/biofats.htm
It's a squirt pump you keep in the fridge. Really helps with the coat too. It has 5mg of taurine per pump... And it has next to no protein in it at all...

Either the joint one, the vites or the salmon oil would be the ones I'd suggest more (in that order).

Last edited by Prin; December 29th, 2006 at 02:17 AM.
Old December 29th, 2006, 02:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
I get the biologic vet salmon oil, so I checked out their site and they've got a couple with taurine (and they might help a lot of other things too):

http://www.biologicnr.com/biologicve...ts/bioskin.htm
http://www.biologicnr.com/biologicve...s/biojoint.htm
http://www.biologicnr.com/biologicve...s/biovites.htm (the only one with a higher amount of taurine in it- 15mg)

This is the one I use:
http://www.biologicnr.com/biologicve...ts/biofats.htm
It's a squirt pump you keep in the fridge. Really helps with the coat too. It has 5mg of taurine per pump... And it has next to no protein in it at all...

Either the joint one, the vites or the salmon oil would be the ones I'd suggest more (in that order).
Wow, that was fast! Thank you!!!!! Hmm, I think the vites one sounds promising. It's powder form. Do you just pour it on top of their food? I have no idea if he'll eat it or not, but guess I'll give it a try! I was hoping to find something in liquid form that could be squirted on top of his dry food, but hopefully the powder will be just as easy.

Side note, you mentioned you use this for your dogs as well? Would you recommend something like this for a healthy dog as well? Petey eats 2 cups of Canidae a day, but I'm not currently giving him any kind of supplements or anything. Now I'm wondering if this would be good for him too! I like the idea of better coat health for him.

ETA: Ok, stupid question! I take it you can't buy them from this site? I don't see any kind of purchase option, lol. Do you buy yours online or from a local pet supply store?

Last edited by Smiley14; December 29th, 2006 at 02:29 AM.
Old December 29th, 2006, 02:35 AM

I get mine from a local store (where I get my dog food), but you can probably order it easily because , well, I know here, the distributor is one of the big guys, so it's pretty accessible..

My doggies are perfectly healthy and they get a half a squirt of the Biofats twice a day. It is easier with the pump.. You just kind of lean into the fridge and squirt. The recommended dose is much higher, but I find with just a bit, added to the food, which is already pretty good, is enough (and it's fairly expensive, so I use it sparingly, but still see enough of an effect).

There are other supplements on the market, but I just find the quality of the ingredients in these to be better than the ones I've seen around.

Oh and yeah, it looks like you just sprinkle the powder on the food for the vites one.

Last edited by Prin; December 29th, 2006 at 02:38 AM.
Old December 29th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I get mine from a local store (where I get my dog food), but you can probably order it easily because , well, I know here, the distributor is one of the big guys, so it's pretty accessible..

My doggies are perfectly healthy and they get a half a squirt of the Biofats twice a day. It is easier with the pump.. You just kind of lean into the fridge and squirt. The recommended dose is much higher, but I find with just a bit, added to the food, which is already pretty good, is enough (and it's fairly expensive, so I use it sparingly, but still see enough of an effect).

There are other supplements on the market, but I just find the quality of the ingredients in these to be better than the ones I've seen around.

Oh and yeah, it looks like you just sprinkle the powder on the food for the vites one.
Awesome, thank you!! I think I'll try the vites for Billy and the salmon oil one that you use for Petey. Good suggestion on the dose for the dog as well, thanks! Not sure how the powder form will go over for Mr. Finicky, but I'll give it a try. I'll check this weekend at some local stores around here and hopefully one of them carry will it. Thanks again!!!
Old December 29th, 2006, 02:44 AM

Good luck! I'd get the smaller size of the vites first (if there is one), just in case.. And if not, you can always pawn it off on the doggies and try the salmon oil on the kitty.
Old December 29th, 2006, 02:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Good luck! I'd get the smaller size of the vites first (if there is one), just in case.. And if not, you can always pawn it off on the doggies and try the salmon oil on the kitty.

LOL! Very true!