Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 7th, 2011, 02:45 PM

Dog licks paws RAW. Help!

Hello,

I have been to the vet several times for my dog's paws. They are red and raw and inflamed, and she always licks and bites them. We have changed her food several times as per vet's recommendation to deal with possible corn, soy allergies etc. We used oral and topical vet-prescribed medications to no avail. I am afraid to go back to the vet because they have mentioned "animal abuse." This is a total croc, because I love my dog, and I have spent loads of time and money on this problem, let alone everything else.

We have been soaking her paws in epsom salt solution the past 2 days, followed by applying a mix of triple antibiotic and antifungal cream. We have to then cover her paws in socks so that she cannot access her paws. She hates it, but I can't think of anything else to do.

Any and all advice welcome!
Attached Images

Old January 7th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Is this recent or has she had the problem all the time or is it seasonal? Do you use any chemicals on your floors? Have you considered a homemade raw diet using only one protein source and doing a trial and error? Does she wear booties when outside? Have you tried Benadryl for relief of itching?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 7th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I had a sheltie that was licking his paws like that, and his breeder had another - related - anyway she told me to try soaking his feet in diluted (human) antiseptic mouthwash, Listerine. It helped Ben, I don't know whether it would yours. From memory once I got Ben over it, we never had it a problem again.
What sort of dog is she? I feel sorry for you that animal abuse was ever mentioned, as I know how these things can flare up and be hard to get on top of. I would not use a vet that said anything of the sort, it shows their ignorance if you ask me. THEY are the experts who should be giving you the solution, not criticising you.
Old January 7th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Senior Contributor

There are two issues right now.

The easy issues is that now there is an infectious component to the feet. I use a diluted peroxide and water mix when my dog gets spots like that, though he's never been as bad as yours. After the peroxide and water mix when they are healing, I either switch to water and vinegar, or water and black tea. You might need something different, and might need to experiment a bit. You need to rinse the paws a couple of times a day, and certainly every time from coming outside.

The next issue is what is causing that problem.

This can be autoimmune, which happens in some breeds like Shelties and German Shepherds.

This can be allergies - food or otherwise. It can be from grass, weeds, carpet, grains, meat, or a combination of the above.

Can you list the foods that you have tried?
Old January 7th, 2011, 07:32 PM
-

I agree, it can be either food or enviromental allergies .....please list the brands of food she has been on and how long for each one.