Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old February 25th, 2007, 01:22 PM
sucker for shelter dogs

DVP Sweet Potato and Fish update :(

Just an update on my previous post:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=36924

Little miss Raven has completely lost interest in it and has refused to eat it for two days now. :sad:

I'm at a loss for where to go from here. She completely stopped itching after starting it two weeks ago and I was sure we'd found the perfect food for her. In addition to allergies Raven has very sensitive stomach (something new for us because our other dog has a stomach of steel...LOL) and I suspect something in the food may be upsetting her tummy given that she's refusing to eat it and also threw up after drinking water yesterday. The food contains sweet potatoes, salmon, menhaden fish, salmon oil, canola oil and flaxseed oil and I have no idea what could be upsetting her. Oddly enough, the last time I tried her on a DVP food (Potato and Duck) she lost interest in it after a few days and started throwing up after drinking water too. I'm beginning to think that there's a common ingredient in the DVP foods that is not sitting well with her. Flaxseed oil perhaps?

I'm completely out of the small bag of food we bought earlier this week and must buy something today. Does anyone have recs for a dog allergic to poultry? I suspect she may be a bit sensitive to lamb too.

Thanks so much ladies.
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:43 PM
-

I've been through every high end kibble available in Toronto I think. We are a no-beef-no-poultry-no lamb household. Duck, venision didn't appeal or was too rich. We tried all the fish-based (no other meat source proteins) without success (they either wouldn't touch it or there was something in it that gave them loose stools). We've finally settled on Timberwolf Ocean Blue with good results and months later they're still eating it.
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:48 PM

I had a whole long thread about poultry free foods from when I was looking for one for Boo...
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30712

Sucks that it didn't work though.
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:54 PM
-

I would also try Timberwolf Ocean Blue. Good luck and let us know if she likes it.
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:14 PM

And the GO! Salmon and Oatmeal too
http://petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=42
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy_girl
I started Mocha on this a few days ago, and he loves it (he wouldn't eat his food, only when he was good and hungry and there were no treats around)
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:58 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy_girl View Post
http://petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=42
I keep forgetting that Petcurean makes a salmon and oatmeal formula ......thanks for reminding me as that is also a good choice.
Old February 25th, 2007, 08:11 PM

You're welcome!
Old February 25th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Another option California Natural

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php...D%271326%27%5D
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old February 26th, 2007, 01:43 PM
sucker for shelter dogs

Thanks so much for your suggestions! I didn't get the chance to read them before I went out yesterday but have saved this thread for reference for the future.

After looking through the ingredient lists for several foods at Global yesterday I reluctantly decided to give Solid Gold Barking at the Moon at try. The store owner highly recommended it. It's salmon, beef and potato based (the beef worries me a bit because of Raven's allergies) but it's free of poultry and flaxseed oil. Many of the other fish based foods contained flaxseed oil so I wasn't left with many choices. Timberwolf Organics Ocean Blue looked very promising too but my husband nearly fainted when he saw the price of it so I thought I'd try the Barking at the Moon first.

Rusty and Raven love the taste of the new food but man, does it stink. It honestly smells like cod liver oil in a bag.

I know that Barking at the Moon has double the protein and nearly double the fat of the other foods we've had them on and I'm wondering if I should be concerned about that in any way? Rusty is an old girl with arthritic hind legs and after many months of eating high quality food we've finally managed to get her weight down to a healthy level to help ease the stress on her joints. Could a higher protein and fat diet hinder the progress we've made with her weight? Do you think a higher protein and fat diet is suitable for older, moderately active dogs?
Old February 26th, 2007, 03:49 PM

Newer studies say older dogs need more protein than adult dogs, so IMO, it's a good choice of food to try out. Just look out for constipation as that can happen with the higher protein foods...
Old February 26th, 2007, 11:42 PM
sucker for shelter dogs

Thanks so much for that info, Prin. I was wondering whether I'd made a mistake going with a high protein food but feel much better about it after hearing that.

Rusty could definitely stand a little constipation. She poops 4 times a day minimum. And monster sized poops at that. You can't help but wonder where it all comes from. LOL!
Old February 26th, 2007, 11:44 PM

lol You should feed a little less on the barking at the moon too.