Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old December 15th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Barn homes urgently needed!!:/MTL

6 gorgeous barn cats - all spayed, neutered and vaccinated - will be losing their home soon when the barn they live in is torn down by new property owners.

These cats have no place else to go and will perish with no shelter.

All these cats require is adequate shelter and food.

Do you have a barn for them??

If you do, please call Joanne at (450) 424-2887, or email Lucky Rescue
Old December 16th, 2004, 03:16 PM

Question

Lucky, I'm curious to know. Could these cats possible become indoor cats or would that change be too stressful? I just feel so bad about them living outdoors even with a barn for shelter.
2 Medium Haired All Black Cats:
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
"PIT-BULLS ARE LIKE POTATO CHIPS......YOU CAN NEVER HAVE JUST ONE"
Old December 16th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Two cats in this barn ARE former pets who were discarded when the owners moved. They are sisters and one of them has her ears frozen off.

The 6 other cats - we don't know if they were pets or not and will not know until we trap them. Of course we would prefer them to go into homes and not suffer any more, but not many people are willing to take cats like this and work with them, which I do understand.

Personally, I now have 3 ex-feral cats (and had more in the past). 2 of them are now perfectly sweet and tame, although they will not let strangers approach them.

The other remains skittish and shy, even with me, but is very VERY happy to stay in the house and be warm and fed for the first time in her life. After her life of hardship, bearing kittens and struggling to survive, it's very gratifying seeing her enjoy life and play endlessly with my other two cats.

If someone could take two of these cats (so they would have each other) and not care if they become cuddly pets, we would be so grateful!!
Old December 16th, 2004, 04:02 PM

Red face

Lucky, I'm curious about the 2 sisters who were indoor pets before their families left them in the cold (*astards) Are you going to be fostering until suitable homes can be found? What will happen to all of these cats if local homes can't be found? :sad:
Please let me know if I can help. I'd already be on my way, but, as we all know I do not drive and I live in Ontario. Also, I just wanted to let you know I saw your post for the lady that needs our help with her cats, and I've started to collect some things and gather up some of Whinnie and Boo's old things that will be getting replaced over the holidays from santa and when I have enough, I'll courier you out a care package for her. I wish I could do more, especially for the sisters. I have a big place in my heart for pets that shouldn't be seperated. If something could be arranged for transport my girlfriend still hasn't filled the opening in her farm, that I was hoping to fill with Winnie before her and Rainy fell in love. She lives on a farm, in an apartment above one of the 15 horse barns. She is a registered Vet tech. and she has a stary barn cat already "BAILEY" (found last week) our 13yr old russian blue "SALEM" & "AMBER", a St. Bernard. Whether these girls wanted to remain barn cats or become family pets, the choice would be theirs entirely. Please Pm me if there is anything I can do.
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
Old December 16th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Senior Contributor

That is very sweet of you!!!! Mary is a wonderful sweet lady and would be so appreciative of anything at all!

We want the two sisters to be house pets again, since they are not feral and don't belong in a barn.

Unfortunately, no facility (boarding or whatever) will take feral cats, and if a place is not found for the others, I'm afraid they will die with no shelter.

Where in ON is your friend? If she has a secure barn, with a closed in room to keep a cat or two until they feel they are home, this would be wonderful.

If she is in within reasonable driving distance, I would be willing to transport, providing she checks out as a suitable home. Is she renting? What would happen to the cats if she moves?
Old December 17th, 2004, 08:33 AM

Talking

My best friend lives just north of Bolton Ontario on a throughbred farm. She rents from the property owner, who is also her boss. She lives at her work. Her apartment is located on the second level of her barn, and her pets go everywhere with her. She used to work for numerous Vet's in the area, until she decided she wanted to work with horses again. Actually race horses, simply because of the way they are treated. She knows the abuse those poor horse put up with until their racing years are over, and she loves to spoil them rotten. Its hard when you think of what those poor horses go through, and the pain that they are almost constantly in. Now, if she decides to leave her job, or loses her job, she will within moments be working for another barn. We've both lived on our own since we were 16, and since then never once has she ever let anything come between her and her St. Bernard, so if she has always managed to find homes for herself and her kids, I don't think 2 new editions will make that big a difference, not when your dog weighs 165lbs. She lives to help animals. We fit so good together because she is the cat & horse person. I love dogs & small furry animals, and my whole kitchen is cows. Everyday we say how we're sick of working for others and we want to open an animal sanctuary, if only there were money in it, or we could win the lottery, oh to dream. But, then I read all your posts and think "How does she do it". Basically, I'm hoping we can help these little girls, I don't want them outside anymore, they deserve a nice warm winter, and a visit to the doctor. Anything else you want to know, just ask.
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
Old December 17th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Senior Contributor

So she would take the two sisters to be housepets? Only one has been trapped so far, but we're hoping the other will be trapped soon. These cats have gone through Hell, and we want the very best for them.

Bolton is about 5 1/2 hours away from us. If your friend is interested, please have her email me at laurent376@hotmail.com and we can discuss it!

Of course we would prefer to have these girls rehomed nearby, but lots of people don't want scared and disfigured cats and we are willing to transport them for an outstanding new home!

A few people have expressed interest in them, then never been heard from again.
Old December 17th, 2004, 11:05 AM

Talking

Lucky,

She has no computer at home, and probably won't have access to one for a few days at least, until she comes back into the city for holidays. I know she would be willing to take these cats, once I tell her what they have gone through. She was quite disappointed that Winnie never made it all the way from Montreal, but overjoyed that Rainy made room for her. I'll tell her about it tonight, and I'll let you know what she says. I live right in the city, with no outdoor shelter suitable for any animal, should they chose to remain outside, which I hope they don't, or I'd take them in myself. If they were originally house pets, do you think they could be again? Do you think they want human interaction, from what you can tell of the one you've caught. Its so sad that their lives have come down to this, poor girls. I'll P.M. you my home # so we can speak. Also, then I can make the proper arrangements for sending you this care package. What kinds of things can you use? I have a pet food bank nearby, could I go there for you and get some Cat food? or are you particular in what you feed them? Blankets and Towels, and small toys obviously, is there anything else we could send you to make these kids Christmas a little better? Please let me know. Either way, I'd like to do my best to help your cause, and my heart is set on helping these little girls. Oh, Just a little note, I won't be home tonight, Boo is finsihed her Antibiotics and she's due at the Vet to have her Spay scheduled, and to verify the infection is gone completely, but, I can be reached anyother time after 6 p.m.
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
Old December 17th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Here is a pic of one of the sisters, who is now at the vet. The other one is coming in tonight.
This is JoJo and she has already been spayed.
These kitties can certainly be housepets, but must be put into a room and worked with until they get used to people again. They are NOT feral, just understandably scared and have been outside for quite some time.
Attached Images

Old December 17th, 2004, 11:47 AM

I've left a message with her work to have her call me. Hopefully she does today while I'm at the computer. Once she knows Joanne will be calling and the reason why, I'll give you a number to reach her directly. Just wondering though, if not Erin's place on the farm. Do you think they could be brought back around to living indoors in the city? She is absolutley beautiful, and I don't want to see either of them them suffer anymore. What is the adoption fee going to be for these 2 beauty's? I'd like to let her know that too.
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
Old December 20th, 2004, 08:16 AM

Talking JO-JO & HER SISTER HAVE A NEW HOME!!!

Good Morning all,

I just wanted to share my joy, that I will be the new mommy to these 2 beautiful girls as soon as transportation can be arrived and the second one is caught and see's a vet. Now I'm off to the transportation board to search out some help & the advice board, to get some advice on how to make this transition easiest for all involved. :queen:
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
Old December 20th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Whinnie-Boo,you certainly have your heart in the right place :love: the little girl is really beautiful..I am sorry I can be of no help,but I hope someone else can
Old December 20th, 2004, 12:08 PM

So do I Chico, I'm so over-joyed at the fact that I could very well have 2 new children to spoil, I'm just hoping someone can help me out with the transportation of these beautiful girls. But, the board seems kind of quiet today..... :sad:
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
Old December 20th, 2004, 02:54 PM

Luckeyrescue how do I refer someone to you???

Luckeyrescue I am talking to my friend that is looking for a kitty to adopt, She is leaving work soon and said she would like to stop at the SPCA. I have told her about you but I am not sure of a number. She works downtown and lives in Laval. How would she get in touch with you?
Old December 20th, 2004, 03:16 PM

Talking Jo-jo's Angel's

I'm back to tell everyone about our Christmas Angels

STAMPDesign - has been kind enough to offer to bring Jo-Jo & her sister all the way from Lucky's to Brampton. When I was starting to think no one could help, she steps up and offers to give this gift to me for Christmas, and more importantly for these very scared, lonely girls. I wish I could express my thanks, but, there are no words I can find. I will express it later through PETS.CA with tons of pitures of Happy cats who would not have been here much longer. If not for STAMPDesign & her husbands kindness. What we need is more people like her. Lucky, STAMPDesign & Joanne have given me a Christmas present unlike anyother. More importantly, they have given these sister another chance at a happy life
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
Old December 20th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Titleless

Whinnie-boo, it's our pleasure. As I mentioned in my e-mail, I would hope if I was ever in the same situation as you, that someone would help me. It's worth the drive, to see them go into a loving, safe and warm home is all anyone could want and wish for. :love:
Old December 20th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Jake'sMom - if your friend wants to adopt from the SPCA, she will saving a life.

If she's interested in our kitties, you can give her our site
http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/QC12.html

and she can take a look!