Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 9th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Lisamac

HELP! My dogs skin problems wont go away

I have a mix puppy...half bulldog, half jack russel...dont ask
He is about 9 months old. In the last 5 months he has been getting some kind of skin problem. We have taken him to the vet...3 times now and he has been tested...but they dont seem to have a definate answer and he is not getting any better. He was given revolution red, cephalexin and put on meat free, wheat free, corn free food. nothing is working. He is only getting worse and we cant afford to continually take him back and try all this stuff. His skin is red and the hair is falling out. He seems to be getting more itchy and is shedding skin and he is starting to smell funny ( we were directed also to give him a spoon full of plain yogurt in case of yeast infection from the antibiotics) some spots are almost becoming sores because he bites at it. his spirits are still good but we just dont know what to do next. If anyone can help with some suggestions. Thank you.
Attached Images

Last edited by lisamac53; September 9th, 2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:48 PM

, I have a 7 y/o keeshond who started having skin problems at 6-9 mos. i found a scab on his skin deep in his full fluffy fur. they shaved him and treated him for skin infection or hot spot. only 2 week antibiotic, it came back or did not completely heal. went to a new dr. who specialized in skin and he said he must be on anitbiotics for at least 3 wks to effectively treat a skin infection. it takes alot longer for skin to be reached by antibiotics. i had a dermatologist confirm that. he lost all his fur over a long time. only has fur on head and legs. i don't know if this is similar to your dog, but i thought i would let you know about stan in case it helps. i would find a vet that specializes in skin or a derm vet if near by. bottom line for stan was treat active infection by doing a skin scrape test and treat long enough with antibiotics and then the underlying cause is alopecia x. Possible cushings dog, tested neg at a young age. maybe tests pos later on. if skin is infected making sure it is treated properly is the main thing before knowing why it happens. hope this helps in any way.
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Lisamac

suggestions

thanks for the suggestions.... i believe he is currently on an antibiotic for skin infections.....i think thats the cephalexin... and it hasnt helped him and he is on his last pill. i noticed people talking on other forums about pads of the feet bothering the dogs but with chili it is mainly on his back. was your dogs skin problems all over?
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:15 PM

my dogs skin infection started on he hind legs and up his hips. they were red in color and i also noticed scaley. how long is his antibiotic treatment?? the dr. i found stressed it is key to having them on it long enough. minimum 3 wks. it worked for us, but hair continued to be lost. he did have reoccuring skin infections. maybe about 3 or 4 total. after that with a low allergy diet all was good for many years. i understand that if they have allergies or food allergies, it can take quite some time to see the positive effects of allergy free food. i would like to say that i assume as with people some antibiotics work for some problems and sometimes you have to try another type.
i took my dog intially to a reg vet at the vca and was not happy until i found one that had interest in the skin specifically. i had better results over all.
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Although I dont have Duke anymore :sad:

he suffered throu allergies horribly for 3yrs.

We had him tested & was allergic to everything some examples are: Cedar, (borderline for grass)House Flys, Cotten, wool, to Chicken, Rice, Lamb corn beef, and about 100 more.. poor guy. In total he was allergic to 160 things..

His diet changed several times as did what he laid on.. but his skin looked alot like that.. my advice is too seek out a specilist who does skin.. have him tested go from there.

We used oatmeal baths to help while we were waiting on the results.

HTH
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Geek Club CEO

Has he been tested for environmental allergies? One of my dogs got awfully itchy and red this year from seasonal allergies, she chewed off a lot of fur... Benadryl (over the counter allergy medication) did the trick...
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Do any of you remember Sam I Am? I don't have time right now to search for his original thread, but didn't he have a similar skin condition, and he had a rotting flesh smell as well. I remember it was very hard to treat and took soooo long, ultimately (unfortunately) not ending well.

Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings
Sam the BMD - graphic photos
Sorry I don't know how to connect the entire link, but if you go into Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings and search Sam you'll find Sam the BMD.

Last edited by Dog Dancer; September 10th, 2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Geek Club CEO

The name of Sam's condition was pemphigus.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....light=Sam+skin
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)

Last edited by bendyfoot; September 10th, 2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old September 10th, 2008, 01:27 PM

When Patrón got like this, he was diagnosed with Demodectic mites. He was also treated with antibiotics. The mites seemed to go away with treatment, but the red bumbs continued. Turns out it was all enviremental allergies. He gets hives down his spine, around his throat, and under each armpit. NOW he gets 3 benadryl twice a day! Plus he's on Wellness Core dog food, no corn, no wheat, no soy... remember this goes for treats too! I definitely feel your pain!
Old September 10th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Bendyfoot. I knew many people would remember Sam (RIP). I figured it was worth Lisamac knowing the name so she could mention it to her vet and hopefully rule it out. Thanks again.
Old September 10th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Lisamac

response

i appreciate all the advise... i think sam's condition is much more severe than chili's. he only has a couple of sore type spots and its on his back from him chewing at it. I think i will try benedryl... does anyone know what time of dosage? He is about 45 pounds. also it was suggested i try supplements with omega and fatty acids? any imput? thanks for your help everyone. much appreciated!
Old September 10th, 2008, 06:40 PM

He may have contact dermatitis, which is an allergy to something in your house. Or has been rolling in something outside! It may very well be a food allergy. Do you have a vet dermatologist in your area? I would highly recommend that. And have your file faxed there.
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree it's probably not the same as Sam's disease was, but when you said it smelled it made me think of Sam. So I figured it can't hurt to keep that in the back of your mind in case nothing else helps. I don't think Sam's was a common disease so your vet may not think of it on his own. Oh and so you know, my lab X is allergic to poultry and my vet said poultry fat in food is okay because it doesn't have any protein in it (which is what they're allergic to). Um, vet was wrong. We have to avoid anything with unlisted fats, or poultry fats - just so you know incase you're trying to rule out food items in the diet.