Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) - Transportation

Closed Thread

Old August 1st, 2005, 05:55 PM

Home visit needed in Mississauga

Not really in the right place, but I figured this was the best since it's not transport related, but still out-of-town.

Would anyone be available to do a home visit in Mississauga before August 12th? I have a family interested in Gucci, a Husky mix, and the last thing to do is the home visit.

If someone is willing and available, please PM me for the details.

Thanks
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:00 PM
Senior Contributor

You would send someone you just met online to do a home visit???? I am sorry but that is unethical. I have done home visits for Siamese Rescue and another rescue but this was after they knew me for some time.
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:20 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

What rescue are you with?
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:33 AM

http://www.sophiesdogadoption.com/

Apparently LilRickyMom has her own homepage under her profile, she's out of Montreal, and states this on the front page:

"Donations are the only source of money that enables me to continue rescuing dogs. Not being part of an actual rescue organization, I am not funded by anyone and do not qualify for donations from companies. "

Last edited by shannon1233A; August 2nd, 2005 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Edited to correct web address
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:48 AM
-

Even though having someone from this forum that one doesn't really know is probably not the best idea. We do have to applaud her for doing something that many of us are just not able to do. If she has a potential home for a dog outside of her area and is unable to do a house check herself, what better place to look for help than here. Do we not offer transportation help for these same dogs from people we do not know.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyB
Even though having someone from this forum that one doesn't really know is probably not the best idea. We do have to applaud her for doing something that many of us are just not able to do. If she has a potential home for a dog outside of her area and is unable to do a house check herself, what better place to look for help than here. Do we not offer transportation help for these same dogs from people we do not know.
I fully agree, and applaud anyone and everyone who does this type of work. I couldn't work in rescue, too emotional. I'd be liable to beat the crap outta anyone who abused an animal I was just answering a question posed by Luba and meant no disrespect in any way or form. As we've seen on the forum though, not everyone who comes here, always does the right thing by their pets. I'm sure this rescue will check out whom ever they use.

Last edited by shannon1233A; August 6th, 2005 at 08:04 AM. Reason: reflect explanation
Old August 2nd, 2005, 09:16 AM
-

I agree though many who post here have been here awhile and she would be able to get some idea of the person who offers to do this. I would hope she doesn't just choose anyone. I am happy that she is concerned with doing the home visit, many don't. My post wasn't necessarily directed to anyone specific, it just seems that lately many are attacked and few look at the positive side.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

If the family has had pets and has a long standing vet, I would ask the vet for a reference check rather than asking someone on this board to do a home visit. I am sure that the adopting family would be more comfortable with this arrangement. It would be different if you were affiliated with a rescue in the area that you have worked with before. As a would-be adopter I would frankly be very upset if you asked someone unknown to you to visit my home. Imagine the fallout should there be a break-in or some other incident at the family's home shortly after the visit. Totally unrelated to the person doing the inspection, but of course when asked by the Police if there had been any recent unknown visitors, the person's name would have to be given. Not good - I am not trying to be dramatic here - things happen. My vet has 4 vets in her clinic. All would give me excellent references which I would hope would be sufficient for purposes of placing a pet with me.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:44 AM
-

That sounds like it could be a great alternative to the visit.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:56 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

A home visit NEEDS to be done.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:13 PM

home visit needed in Mississauga.

See why I don't come here often anymore? Let me explain myself. I have been controversed for a while on this site now, and here is my procedure from A to Z.

First of all, I know people in Ontario who go to this board as well as other boards where rescuers actually try to help one another, and I have posted this where I know people who have done home visits for me in the past from other rescues will see it. It is the easy way out, rather than look through my contacts and pick them all out and send e-mails to those specific people. They know me, and will e-mail me back. I don't remember all these names everyone has on here and get everyone mixed up, so this was getting the word to my contacts Lil'RickyMom needs "another" home visit......

But obviously some people who can only criticize others didn't like my post.. So here's how it works to get one of my dogs..................

My procedure: You first get a screening on the phone. You then get my adoption application form, which is 6 pages long, and asks a ****load of questions to see your suitability to adopt one of my rescues. After verifying with your landlord if you rent, the City to make sure you own if you say you do, your references who must have known you for years very well, your vet if you have pets or have had in the last 2 years, for which you must call and authorize them to give me the info I seek. Then.... I do the home visit. Being in Montreal and having no car, I get volunteers from other rescues to do this for me, as well as a follow-up visit thereafter.

Once the dog is adopted, the contract is signed (and I threaten to sue you for $2500 if you give, sell or euthanize the dog without my written consent), a contract which gives me every right to follow up on the dog "at any time after adoption" (meaning for years to come), where I reserve to take the dog back at any time if he is abused, mistreated, neglected in any way. You are not allowed to keep your dog as an "outside" dog, no matter the breed, never to be left unattended in a yard or other area and I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out.

Need any more than that? I have never seen a rescue in Montreal who goes through this screening, and I have even gotten blasted by other rescues who feel I invade people's privacy. What they tell me when they adopt their dogs out at "adoption kiosks", is "we go by gut instinct. We ask people to fill in a form with their name and address, and we do a follow-up visit".

I have been blasted on this site for the last 6 months, and to be honest, I feel I am doing the best I can for these dogs. I admit I have dogs returned, dogs I placed in wonderful homes where everything was the best you could hope for, and boom... the dog comes back for whatever reason. It happens, what can I say. I'm not God, I can't force these people to love their dog the way they said they would, the way they should, I can only hope after days and sometimes weeks of screening, I have picked the right family.

So for all of you who think I call myself a rescuer, I believe I truly rescue to the best of my ability, being totally alone with occasionally a foster home for a while, no car, no steady job at the moment, but a smile on my face everytime I take a dog off death row and find him a good home.

That's all I have to say, I don't think I'll be back here for a while again. I tried with the home visit as I know people who would and could do it, but I don't need this aggravation when I come on here. It used to be about the dogs, now it's about the people and how everyone is better at it than the other. I only believe my way of doing it is the way I feel it should be done to ensure the maximum positive results, as sadly enough, even good people dump their dogs.

If some of you feel I'm full of it, I honestly don't give a damn, I don't do it to please anyone, not the dumpees, not the adoptees, not the rescue organizations, I do it STRICTLY for the dogs.

So to all of you who can only judge others and make comments without inquiring as to who you're making comments to, have a nice life...... Possibly without pets as obviously pets are not your main concern, other people's way of running their lives is.

Last edited by Lil'RickyMom; August 2nd, 2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old August 5th, 2005, 01:50 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Were are the moderator's here - seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 5th, 2005, 09:11 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
You would send someone you just met online to do a home visit???? I am sorry but that is unethical. I have done home visits for .......and another rescue but this was after they knew me for some time.
Do you really think Lil'Ricky let alone any other rescue would pick John Doe, Joe Blow to do a home visit?? Come on think about it! She does what she can and she tries her best. She does more than most people would do! Give other people some credit once in a while!

LilRickyMom, YOU are making a difference in the world so just keep on doing what you do! And if other people don't like it, they can pound salt!
Old August 5th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to agree with Coppers Mom, this feels like "no good deed goes unpunished" I think Little Rickys Mom explained herself and I hope she comes back! I would also Like to know how one can get experience with Home Visits, maybe thats some small part I could learn to play, to help out. A friend of mine does that for a pug rescue. I dont drive but Im in a central location.
Old August 6th, 2005, 08:44 AM

Am I missing something? Did someone edit or delete their post? I see nothing here to warrant getting upset about, calling "foul", asking for mods to intervene. I saw someone suggesting that sending a perfect stranger on a home visit isn't a good idea - and that is what the OP was asking for in the first post (when she asked "anyone" to help, not just "the people she knows"). I saw someone else asking which rescue she's associated with, and that question was answered with no further comments. Why the call to arms??
Old August 6th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Writing4Fun - I don't think that you are missing anything - I also do not understand the call to arms. A home visit by a known Rescue with people who have been vetted is one thing - asking for "anyone" is not. I would not be comfortable going to someone's house under these circumstances. Hate to see a dog lose out on a good home but still think that top references from a vet who knows the family should suffice. Sure has for me and for others that I know.
Old August 6th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Vet references and home visits should be done on all adopters IMO.I have someone who can probably do it for you Lil Ricky.

Last edited by LL1; August 6th, 2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old August 6th, 2005, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls
Were are the moderator's here - seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not seeing any reason to moderate this thread. I see an assumption by one poster that was clarified. I see other posters asking legitamite questions. I see the OP responding to the whole thing. I see an offer for a home visit.
Old August 7th, 2005, 01:00 PM

Worngly worded

OK, I need to clarify again. I used the wrong words when I said can "anyone out there" do a home visit for me? I was addressing everyone, but with hopes some of my contacts for home visits would see the post, hence saving me the time to go through my list and pick out people in that specific area. Anyone who knows me, who has done home visits for me, who is near Mississauga, would have replied.... Guess I'll just go the long way next time, and just look through all my paperwork to find who exactly is out that way.

I think some people should spend more energy trying to make a difference for these dogs rather than trying to tell people how to do it better. I do the way I do, I believe I screen more than most people (as I get blasted for "invading peoples' privacy" from other rescuer!) so ..... whoever doesn't like my screening, finds it too tough, can go elsewhere. I know where 95% of my dogs (I have lost track of a handful over the 12 years) and I do all I can to track them down. I have lost track of one for 2 years now, I and I have just located the owners, sent them a registered letter and waiting to see what's happenning. So whoever out here thinks I just "drop" dogs off anywhere and everywhere and rely on strangers to do the work for me, get a life once again. Stop judging when you have no clue what you are talking about and start helping animals. Anyone out there reply to the urgent post about the Beagle mix? NO...... Who ended up helping this girl? ME.....
Old August 7th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Senior Contributor

LRM- any news on Gucci? Did he get his forever home? :love:
Old August 7th, 2005, 01:20 PM

As this thread was opened to ask for help in finding someone to do a home visit and an offer has been made, it will now be closed. Thanks.

Please respond via pm to Puppyluv on the question of Gucci.
Closed Thread