Old February 18th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Wonder pooch recovers

Cujo the rescued Boston terrier-pug spent Family Day with his new kin at the Toronto Humane Society.

The emaciated puppy has gained a kilo in the week since society investigators pulled him from a downtown apartment where he was tied to a cupboard door, sitting in urine and feces, without food or water to nourish him.

It didn't take the little pooch long to wolf down a can of dog food at the River St. shelter yesterday. He gobbled up the grub in less than five minutes, give or take the fact the dish kept sliding on the floor. After that he was back to sniffing anyone standing around him, looking for a quick pat on the head or a tummy rub.

Lead cruelty investigator Tre Smith said the emaciated puppy has become a fast favourite of volunteers at the shelter.

"He's quickly become the Toronto Humane Society mascot," Smith told the Sun.

Everyone is fighting over the chance to take Cujo for walks, he's going on about 10 a day, he added.

Despite the exercise, the high protein, strict-food intake regimen is working.

Cujo, who they suspect is around a year old, now weighs 4.8 kilos up from the 3.7 kilos when he came in.

"He's doing better," Smith said. "We're trying to get some weight back on him.

"He's surprisingly very, very happy and very energetic despite the kind of conditions we found him in."

Since the Sun first reported Cujo's story Saturday, the society has received almost 60 offers of adoption. Whether the pup can be adopted will be determined in the next few weeks, as he regains his weight and undergoes a full assessment.

Mental health issues are still being considered in whether charges will be laid, investigators said, adding the 27-year-old owner freely surrendered Cujo to the Humane Society.

While Cujo's owner told Smith he had only tied him up because workers were coming to the apartment, "the animal was likely housed there 24/7 in this small area," Smith said. The apartment had clothes and garbage scattered about.

DON.PEAT@SUNMEDIA.CA

http://www.torontosun.com/news/toron...14581-sun.html
Old February 18th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I consider this a happy story.. although Cujo beginning wasnt all that happy.

BUT ... he is gaining weight & will make a family surely happy.
Old February 18th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

DM,it is a happy story,every story with a happy ending is a happy story,the pup will soon forget what he has suffered,I am sure and will be ready to be loved and taken care of in no time.
Old February 18th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

absolutely correct chico2,

This lil guy will be a spoiled lil guy
Old February 18th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor

He's a cutie! Thank goodness he was found and now has the love and attention he deserves. Hopefully he will find a wonderful home soon.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

It is a happy new beginning for this pup.had to chuckle at them fighting over him when it comes to his walks.he is getting all the lovings he deservers by the sounds of things which is good.
Old February 25th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Cujo pup is adopted!!

Cujo has found a new home.

The little emaciated Boston Terrier-pug rescued by the Toronto Humane Society two weeks ago has been adopted by a family that came forward after Cujo's story garnered media attention.

After Cujo's photo ran on the frontpage of the Toronto Sun, the society was swarmed with adoption applications. Society senior communicator Ian McConachie said they settled on a family in the Beaches as the dog's new family.

Cujo was pulled from a downtown apartment where he was tied to a cupboard door, sitting in urine and feces, without food or water to nourish him.

“All of us here at the Toronto Humane Society were sad to see Cujo and his lively personality leave the shelter, as we will all miss him dearly, but we are all happy to know that he has found the perfect family to take him into their lives and their home.” lead cruelty investigator Tre Smith said in a release from the society.

Vets determined Cujo was well enough to leave the shelter over the weekend. His kidney functions and red blood cell count had returned to normal and he has gained a few kilograms.

He arrived at the shelter weighing only 3.7 kg, a dog of his size should be 9 to 11 kg.

Story here
Old February 25th, 2009, 01:08 PM
-

Thanks for passing that along DM

Now here comes my b*tching, all of the people that wanted to adopt little Cujo, where were they prior to Cujo hitting the news, were they looking to adopt a dog or just a famous one?

Our SPCA no longer announces that they have eg., puppy mill dogs, cat that falls from balcony etc up for adoption. Morons will go and they want that "particular" animal, no other is good enough
Old February 25th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Thanks for passing that along DM

Now here comes my b*tching, all of the people that wanted to adopt little Cujo, where were they prior to Cujo hitting the news, were they looking to adopt a dog or just a famous one?

Our SPCA no longer announces that they have eg., puppy mill dogs, cat that falls from balcony etc up for adoption. Morons will go and they want that "particular" animal, no other is good enough
I'm thrilled he found a home! But I wonder the same thing sometimes. So many people calling to adopt Cujo, did they say "Well if he's not available, can I adopt another dog or a cat?" So you are up for adopting an animal in the news, but what stopped you from calling the day before the news broke, or the day before that?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old February 25th, 2009, 01:14 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I'm thrilled he found a home! But I wonder the same thing sometimes. So many people calling to adopt Cujo, did they say "Well if he's not available, can I adopt another dog or a cat?" So you are up for adopting an animal in the news, but what stopped you from calling the day before the news broke, or the day before that?
I'm sure a few do adopt another dog AG, but not the majority....they want a famous one to show off to their friends
Old February 25th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Senior Contributor

IMHO...

Any home is better then what Cujo was going throu in that apt..

& I have 2 friends who after reading Cujo's plight went to Toronto humane society & adopted other dogs (4 in total) bc they couldnt leave empty handed.

I hope others felt the same pull on there heart strings.
Old February 25th, 2009, 01:23 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsmum View Post
IMHO...

Any home is better then what Cujo was going throu in that apt..

That's for sure DM

& I have 2 friends who after reading Cujo's plight went to Toronto humane society & adopted other dogs (4 in total) bc they couldnt leave empty handed.

That's great to hear

I hope others felt the same pull on there heart strings.
Some do DM but the majority don't unfortunately.
Old February 25th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm glad at least some people's eyes were opened that things like what happened to Cujo happens, unfortunately, often. Many animals need homes and maybe it's a good thing to publicize stories like this. Like I said, some times people just need their eyes opened to what is happening out there.

Old February 25th, 2009, 01:29 PM
-

It probably is best to publicize it AG.

Right now at out SPCA they have a bunch of fluffball puppies that came from a seizure back in December, but are choosing not to say anything publicly I asked my daughter why and that was her response