Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 18th, 2013, 10:50 PM

Question OMG My little doggie is eating her feces!YECH!(and also cat vomit!)

My cute little rescued doggie, whom I love very much, (part Yorkshire Terrier and part Papillion), and is approx. 11 years old, (have had her 10 years)has recently begun to EAT HER OWN FECES in the house! It is very difficult to catch her doing it as she is sneaky and while I am doing something, she will sneak off and go and have her recycled snack! I know that she is hungry ALL OF THE TIME. She just wants to eat eat eat...... i.e. if one of the cat vomits, she will get there before me just to be able to lap it up! There are NO crumbs on the floor ever....she is a little vacum cleaner. I need to watch her carefully as she will try to eat the cats leftovers the moment they walk away from their plate, ie if they leave a few crunchies. SHE LOVES FOOD. LOVES LOVES LOVES FOOD! I admit that I have to be quite strict, no people food, just two meals a day and in between she gets some snacks and also at bedtime. Her weight is ok approx. 13 lbs.
(She has a terrible history of being beaten and kept in a cage, but I doubt this has anything to do with it.)
Are there any products that members have used, that are natural, and which they have had success with, that I can use as a deterrent - I saw one by Four Paws called Potty Mouth Tablets, but did not purchase them as I wanted to hear your opinions first. She has had a history of gastro problems when I first rescued her. Because of gastro problems, I tried MANY MANY brands of holistic foods....some caused diarrhea, some caused constipation, some caused pain. Then I tried cooking for her for awhile, and trying pumpkin etc. etc.. After several years of difficulties with her stomach, due to her being fed only MILK BONES as pet food when she was being abused, before I rescued her! I finally found a food which she is very stable on, although I wish I did not have to buy this one as it is from the Vet, and the ingredients etc. It is canned Purina EN. But I am grateful as it keeps her without pain, gas, diarrhea, constipation....and it took alot of trial and error until finally having her stable.
Aside from this yechy behaviour, she is very clean (perhaps having taken on cat cleanliness from living with her two feline friends). I doubt that she is lacking in any vitamins.....I truly believe it is because she is HUNGRY
If it was up to her, I am quite positive she would eat all day and night. I do understand ...... she just loves food, and I think her feces smells like dog food, and as I am so mean because I don't feed her all day long....she has resorted to desperation.....and thus eats her feces! This began approx. 2 months ago.
I would greatly appreciate any experiences, information, suggestions. Thanks.

Tags
dog eating feces