Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 9th, 2004, 08:56 AM

Question Potty Training

Ok I have a 3month old puppy, who used to poo on the blue mats(puppy training ones). When he is in the garage at night, locked in, he will pee on the mats, but not poo. How do I fix this? He used to go on the mats before. Yet when he is outside in the backyard the majority of time he will go in a certain area. How do I train him on the mats, for the times I bring him in side?

I hardly see him go poo, so I can't place him on the mat right after, so what should I do? Thanks
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

First off,I need to ask this.Why on earth do you have your 3 month old puppy locked in a garage all night?

What breed is your puppy?
Old June 9th, 2004, 01:04 PM

the puppy is a mix, half lab for sure. we let him roam the garage and backyard freely from morning to night. but at night we keep him in the garage. there is plenty of room there. we just keep the garage side door closed so that no one tries to jump my fence and get into the house. By the way this dog is mainly an outdoor dog.
Old June 9th, 2004, 01:12 PM

Educate me please. Why does someone want an "outdoor" dog? What is the use of having a pet if it can't be with you and enjoy your company and feel like part of the family? I honestly don't get it.

Heather
Old June 9th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Senior Contributor

You know that is what I was thinking! I am not sure why someone would either. I men how often do you think that they go outside and play with that poor dog. Or how often do you think he goes to the park or the vet or gets to go and play with them or go to the pets store for a new toy or treat. I could be wrong they could do all of this with him but for the majority of people they never mess with theor outsode dog! Poor animals!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old June 9th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I just don't get it either.

It just ticks me off when I hear things like this..And I know I am not alone on this.

Why did you get this pup if you are not foing to let it be part of the family?
Old June 9th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Koni,I am shocked,a garage-dog Please try to find a good home for this poor puppy,with someone who will make him a member of the family,someone who will love and care for him,you certainly don't
Old June 9th, 2004, 06:46 PM

Just because my puppy will be an outdoor dog, does not mean that I do not give him attention. I treat him as if it were an indoor dog. I spend a lot of time with him and take care of him. I am unable to keep him inside since we have hardwood floors and when he gets bigger he will ruin them.

Aside from the bashing, no one was able to give any help what so ever about potty training a puppy. I understand everyone has their own opinion as how to treat a dog, but I am not a bad person. Obviously you guys don't understand that I am a loving parent to the puupy, so NO I do not think Koni needs a new home.
Old June 9th, 2004, 07:14 PM

So, your floors are more important than the love of your dog? Why get a dog then if you were worried about your floors. Do you think he likes living outdoors and not close to you, where its warm and where people are all around him? This is shocking to me and you really should re-think this whole puppy/dog thing. Not pooping on the paper is the least of your worries! In our house, our dogs and cats are as much a part of our family as our children are. They eat, sleep, cuddle and are close by us at all times. Why? So that we can show them that they are loved and taken care of.

Shame on you!

Heather
Old June 9th, 2004, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenmom
This is shocking to me and you really should re-think this whole puppy/dog thing. Not pooping on the paper is the least of your worries!
Shame on you!

Heather
Excuse me, Just because he lives outdoors does not mean people are not around him. He has room to move freely rather than being caged in a crate or even penned. My puppy is part of my family, living outside or not. I do give my puppy tons of love, you act as if I do not feed or spend time with my dog.

If I was abusing my puppy or not feeding him or even not spending time with him, then I would expect this kind of rudeness from you. But I am giving my puppy nothing but love.you have no right to give this remark to me.
Old June 9th, 2004, 08:59 PM

Sorry Koni, But I'm with Goldie on this one...I have four INDOOR dogs. I have hardwoord floors, and yes in areas they are scratched up, and even black from when they were younger and had accidents...but you know what I had to suck it up. That is part of being a dog owner. You are going to have things of yours ruined, bottom line. You know what, I don't care. $10 bucks says you have no kids, and if you do they are all over 16.

Just rethink your situation about having a pet if you want to keep it out side. What about the Summer months?? Winter?? Is this the first time you have ever had a dog? Sounds like it. A dog is not a fish, or a bird that you can just shove into a cage/tank. They are just like little kids.

In answer to your question about how to get your dog to poop on the blue paper....here's an Idea, spend some time with him, and get him to just go in your back yard, where you don't have to spend money on the blue paper. Then just do a clean up a couple times a week.

One last note...you should read some other postings where dogs are being stolen right off their property. You have a 3 month old dog outside all night??? Brilliant! Someone get this woman a medal.

By the way Koni doesn't need a new home, she just needs a home, not a garage!
Old June 9th, 2004, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingSheltie

One last note...you should read some other postings where dogs are being stolen right off their property. You have a 3 month old dog outside all night??? Brilliant! Someone get this woman a medal.
As I said earlier: "we let him roam the garage and backyard freely from morning to night. but at night we keep him in the garage." so he isnt outside all night, he is in a warm garage. when he is older then he can have the garage and backyard all the time.

As for my age, you are assuming it, especailly about having children. For the floors, it is not my decision to have the puppy as an outdoor dog or not.

Winters here are not bad, only rain. Which the dog will be protected in the garage. Summers can get warm, so the garage provides shade.
Old June 9th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Your Kidding right?????

Because of your hardwood floors poor koni is locked in a garage?Then why on earth did you get you bother getting a pup?

I have 2, 100lb+ GSD's and hardwod floors.Yes they indoors.Yes they spend time out in the yard.But I did NOT have them locked in a garage at 3 months of age.And guess what,I had no problem housebreaking them.Why,cause they stayed inside with me so I can keep an eye on them.I took them out to do their buisness and praised them when they did it.How can you teach koni when the poor pup is locked in a garage at night?

So you give him tons of love then lock him in the garage to be alone all night..That's real nice..

I feel for poor koni...

I second what missingSheltie said.And I third what Goldenmom said.
Old June 9th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh,so I see koni is not allowed in the house at all?

And you say he is part of the family....Yeah right.....
Old June 9th, 2004, 09:24 PM

Outside of your house all night, as in your garage, or is your garage connected to your house? I just don't see the point of having a dog not inside the house.....I just don't get it. The garage performs shade....ya your right...you stay one night in there with your dog on a hot summer night. I bet it's like an oven.

The best thing you could probably do, is post another topic. By the way you owe me $10.00 as you didn't answer my question. I wasn't assuming it, it's obvious.

"DOG FOR SALE to good home"
Old June 9th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Puppies don't house...errr.."garage" train themselves, you know. A little 12 WEEK old puppy left alone and isolated in a garage isn't going to learn much of anything.

Do you know that dogs are very social animals, who need to be with their families and that they suffer when kept in solitary confinement?

Anyway, I have a 77lbs pit bull and hardwood floors throughout my house. Guess what? My dog doesn't stay in the garage - EVER. You know, dogs can be trained not to race madly through a house...but I guess that would be too much of an effort to teach. People who don't want anything scratched, or chewed or peed on - DON'T get a puppy!

It's so sad to think of that baby sitting alone in a garage all night.How would YOU like it?? Don't you ever feel badly, enjoying your home and family at night, then getting in your cozy bed, knowing all the while that puppy is alone?
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Senior Contributor

OH,you are protecting your floors,well,I have 3 cats with claws and hardwood floors,scratches and accidents come with the territory,these are things you consider BEFORE you get a dog/cat...
No matter what you say,the garage is NEVER an acceptable place for a puppy,forget about your precious floors and bring the poor puppy inside to become a REAL member of the family.You will never gain ground with anyone here,we LOVE our animals that's why we have them,floors are secondary.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:08 PM

Red face

I also have a little puppy. Though she is not outdoors, she does spend much of her time outside, playing in the garden. I have found that if you train your dog first to go on command, everything is a lot easier. But, when you see your puppy go on the mat, wheither it be pee or poo, make sure to praise her. And when she doens't go on the mat, even if your not there to see it, take her over to where she went and put her face down next to it and tell her "No!" It may seem harsh, but it works. When you hold her head down next to it you are showing her what is "No!" and it is a position, with her head down, where the dog will be submissive and will listen to you and try to figure it out. You have to be consistent though, and for all the "No!"s you give her, you must give positive praises for the good things.
There is nothing wrong with an outdoor dog! It sounds like she is still loved and given attention, so there is nothing abusive!
Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
take her over to where she went and put her face down next to it and tell her "No!" It may seem harsh, but it works. When you hold her head down next to it you are showing her what is "No!"
Do NOT do this. This is outdated, unnecessary, wrong and very unkind. If you do this, you know why you now have a dog who piddles in her crate.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 05:36 PM
Senior Contributor

I thought a "home" was a place to live in, not to look at. Why don't you replace the wood floors with something durable that you and your pup can actually live with. Priorities!
Old June 22nd, 2004, 05:39 PM
Senior Contributor

why dont you just buy a big thick throw rug,sh%^ i wish that was my only problem with a pet.you have no problem,RUG,problem solved,...
Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:37 PM

As far as the out door dog thing goes, I won't even get started but I will say shame On you or your family (whoever's in charge) a dog is a pack animal and needs to be with it's pack to learn, by isolating the pup you are only heading for trouble.
Quote:
But, when you see your puppy go on the mat, wheither it be pee or poo, make sure to praise her. And when she doens't go on the mat, even if your not there to see it, take her over to where she went and put her face down next to it and tell her "No!" It may seem harsh, but it works. When you hold her head down next to it you are showing her what is "No!" and it is a position, with her head down, where the dog will be submissive and will listen to you and try to figure it out.
That is the most outrageous thing I have ever heard of ......How many people do you know who rub childrens noses in it, a dog is just like a child!That will really make the dog learn!
You never discipline(and by discipline I mean verbal or noise) for something that you didn't see or they could learn to associate it with something else. You should be taking your puppy out every few hours and watching it poop, 1) to make sure that the pup is healthy, not constipated, diarrhea etc. 2) to praise the dog when it does pee or poop so that it knows that it is good.

I agree with the rest of the group, if you don't have the time or effort, then give the dog a chance to be a PART of someone else's family not just a commidity that will wear off once someone is bored with it!
Old June 23rd, 2004, 08:33 AM

I think paper training is good for small dogs, but unecessary for bigger dogs. It's much easier to teach a big dog to go outside. Paper training means that you have to train twice - once for the paper and second for outside.

I also just got a pup and I have hardwood in my house and carpeting upstairs. My hardwood floors are o.k., it's my carpeting that's really getting it. Mako threw up on the (beige) carpet upstairs twice, but hey, that comes with the territory. I like my dog way more than I like my carpet. I'll just get hardwood upstairs when he's bigger.

Heidiho made an excellent point about putting on carpet over the hardwood. Go to Home Depot and find a really cheap carpet, don't get in installed just lay it over the hardwood, then you can assess how your dog is (i.e. if he runs, jumps...alot) Because just walking on the wood won't damage it. My parents always had hardood in their house and we always had a dog and a cat and the damage to the wood was made more by us than by the animals. And the great thing about hardwood is that if it gets less than perfect you can sand it down, and voila - like new! (Or you can say it has character!).

And also, if you're not the one making the decision about the dog being inside, then who is? Your parents? Your significant other? I'm assuming getting a dog was discussed before actually going out and getting it. If you know the dog could not be inside, why did you get it. I don't want to chastise here, my boyfriend's family had outdoor dogs and he has the mentality that dogs like this. I don't have any problems with him about it with my new pup, but I thought I would. I just want to say that I totally understand that some people are old fashioned and set in their ways. If it's your parents and they are used to having outside dogs, then they see nothing wrong with it.

Please try to educate whoever has you keeping the dog outside.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:12 AM
Senior Contributor

I just think about what i am going through right now with damien and then i read these reasons why people are gonna get rid of there pet,and it makes me ill,i could only dream that was my problem,my f*$% hardwood floors,give me a break,if that REALLY is the reason,yep a carpet would solve it,so now you can keep your pet,ew!!! just makes me sick.................
Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:42 AM

Also, regularly trimmed nails won't affect the hardwood. Mako walks on pavement alot, and his nails never get really long, but I still get them done at Petsmart once a month. Plus you won't hear the anoying sound of nails clicking on the floor. This hardwood floor thing is not a problem unless you make it a problem.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:47 AM

Just to let you guys know, I am not getting rid of my puppy. Thanxs for the suggestion on how to keep him indoors.

As for what LitlePru said, is that the same kind of thing it says on puppy training pads? Or instead of making the dog smell it, you just place him/her on the mat?
Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:50 AM

I doubt that any pet product would suggest rubbing a pets nose in it's own waste. Placing the dog on the mat for it to know where it's supposed to go and actually punishing him by rubbing his nose it in is not the same thing. Please don't put your pups face in his own waste! It's a bad idea for many many reasons!
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:03 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

To anyone interested in rubbing their pets nose in their 'accidents'

Can you please come to my home, I want to make you hold your bodily functions until you're gonna burst.

Then just before you do, I'm gonna put paper down at the other end of the house to see if you can get to it in time. (washroom is off limits to you)

If you dont' make it to the paper in time, may I rub your face in your waste? Oh please tell me I can!!!
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:12 PM

i know that you shouldnt make your dog smell his waste, but my question is in regards to the puppy training mats, do you only place the puppy on the mat after he relieved himself?
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:40 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

It's better to take the pup outside as much as you can, this will encourage the behaviour control to be done outside where you want it to be done.

The pee pads/paper should be put next to the door that you will take the pup outside through.

Don't startle or stop the pup half way through a pee if you can. Maybe toss some paper under while peeing but don't stop the process in action.

Then take puppy outside!

If you're taking puppy outside from the crate CARRY puppy outside. The excitement will make puppy pee indoors. Being held in your arms usually diverts the action until you get outdoors.