Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 4th, 2008, 08:05 PM

Staph in Bladder???

Hi. Trying to find some answers about this. My 13 yo chihuahua apparently has a staph infection in her bladder. Started as frequent urination, then blood in urin and milky, think discharge. I'm confused as to how this can be staph, which I thought was a skin thing. Is it possible that she has staph but some other UTI as well? they did both blood work and a urin draw right from the bladder (with needle).
Also, I have been reading conflicting info as to whether it is contagious to me. I have indeed been in contact with her fluids.
Thanks.
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I just replied to your other post.

Staph is normal on skin, and usually the body can keep it in check. However, staph in the wrong place can result in infection. Staph is not too uncommon a cause in bladder infections.

Provided you practice normal hygiene, which I'm sure you do, you aren't really too likely to become infected by the strain of staph that your dog is fighting. We've had dogs with bladder infections due to staph and have never caught it.

It worries me, though, that in your other post you mentioned that your dog wasn't doing well. You may want to have your vet culture out the organism and do sensitivity tests to determine which antibiotic is most effective against it. She might need a change in meds.

Good luck with your girl! Please keep us posted!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:23 PM

I agree with hazelrunpack in regards to you catching the infection yourself. As it was mentioned, make sure to keep your hands washed, and keep any open wounds away from the infected urine... This is one of the biggest causes of dermal staph infections. As far as you getting a UTI yourself, this would be pretty hard. Normally UTI's are contracted by bacteria getting into the urethra, which then travels into the bladder, and possibly further.

If the infection has not cleared up, or the dog is not improving, and it has been on antibiotics for a few days, it's time to go back to the vet. There are over 30 types of staph, some are highly resistant to antibiotics (such as MRSA)... Normally staph is a weak bug, though, and is easily cured.

We're sure that this is a bacterial infection? I'm assuming that a culture was done to confirm this, and things such as protien were ruled out?
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the replys. What they did was a urin draw right from the bladder with a needle. They said they wanted a sterile sample. I guess it was cultured. That is what showed them it was staph. They had done a test with urin I collected the week prior but were no able to tell the exact bug in there. The vet said thats why she wanted the second test - to find out what antibiotic to give her.

She seems better today but still has freuent urin. Yesterday she looked so uncomfortable and was doing that panting thing they do when they don't feel good. And she had discharge. shes almost done two weeks of the meds and it does seem like the discharge should be cleared up by now. We go back to vet next monday so we'll see.

I am really concerend about my getting it. Not in my bladder so much but through my hands. I do often have cuts as I work at a frame shop and work with my hands, cutting glass and what not. Yesterday I had that goo all over my hands. Oy.

If I do get it how would I know? And how treatable is it? People die from this. I'm going to call my MD Monday and ask those questions.