Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old June 29th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Molly's mama

Thumbs up I found gardens at our new house!

I found some very overgrown perennial beds at the house! Being the beginner gardener that I am, I am reluctant to weed them- what if I pull out something I shouldn't!?
Maybe some of the green thumbs at Pets.ca can help me ID some of my newly acquired plants!?
Let's start off with the ones I DO know!
1. Tiger Lily- should bloom any day now!
2. Pansies- delicate but cute
3. Daisies- also look like they are ready to open
Attached Images

Old June 29th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Molly's mama

ok, now for some questions...
1. does anyone know what these leaves are, mixed in with the tiger lilies?
2. Is this a rhubarb plant???
3. Can anyone ID this plant? It was in a small bed at the front of the house and for some reason has sand all over its leaves!!
Attached Images

Old June 29th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Molly's mama

ok, now time for some unknown plants... any ideas?
Attached Images

Old June 29th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Mollywog the last pic looks like a green coral bell to me!

the other one looks like day lillies?

oh and youll have some shasta daisies opening soon too!

nice pics..
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Molly's mama

and finally...
1. this little flower bed was totally grown over with tall grass! It took about 30 mins just to get this much cleared!
2. The previous owner let the back of the yard grow over. Looks pretty to me, but I don't think the bylaw officer will agree- this part of the yard backs onto another street so it's quite visible and may be considered an "eyesore"
3. The mandatory Molly pic! Enjoying her new yard!
Attached Images

Old June 29th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

sorry I posted in between your pics..

in the last set the purple one I have in the front garden but cant remember the exact name but I will look for you. pretty sure its from the daisy family. its raining now so a bit later!

the tall green ones in this last set of three looks like maybe ragweed??

not sure on the short green one in this last set either???
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:55 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

The first one mixed in with your lilies - does it have a very strong smell when you crush the leaves? If so it looks like it could be in the hyssop family. That is a herb. The plant can be a real B**** to get rid of if you don't want it. It self seeds readily. If it doesn't smell then it's a safe bet that it's a weed. I have lots of them around too.
The second pic in that set is a weedumpullemoutem.
The third looks either like a coral bell as Winston says or a Lady's Mantle. Lady's Mantle's leaves open like the small ones are.
It looks like you may have some really nice gardens under all the weeds.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Molly's mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
The second pic in that set is a weedumpullemoutem.

It looks like you may have some really nice gardens under all the weeds.
Thanks 14+K! So you think the possible "rhubarb" is a weed? haha shows how much I know!
It's raining now so I will have to wait to check on the ones mixed in with the lilies- they are in there thick!
Any tools/ advice on how to rip out tough weeds??
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

In post 2, I only see daylilies and asiatics in the first shot...the daylilies are the ones with long blades... Don't know what the second plant in that set is, but it doesn't look like rhubarb to me The third plant in post 2 looks like a coral bell to me, too!

Post 3--the first shot looks like phlox, the second like dogbane...not sure about the third, but it's gorgeous!

And in the wild grass pics, I can see orange (and maybe yellow) hawkweed. We have lots of that, too, if we let the lawn go. Too bad you can't leave it--you'd have lots of butterflies coming to that area!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Ive always used a good glove and strong hands! works better than any tool I can think of!

I am not sure what the tall yellow and orangey red ones are?

maybe 14+ will know?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Molly's mama

Thanks Hazel!! I find it funny how you always claim to be a bad gardener, but here you are with all the know how and recently- the pics to prove yourself wrong! You are one of Pets best gardeners in my books!!!
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oy! 14+! I just planted some anise hyssop this year ... for the lovely aroma Have I just introduced a monster into my well garden?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
Thanks Hazel!! I find it funny how you always claim to be a bad gardener, but here you are with all the know how and recently- the pics to prove yourself wrong! You are one of Pets best gardeners in my books!!!
No...that's from the Biology training. I can identify quite a few...growing them I can't do unless they really, truly want to cooperate!

Old June 29th, 2009, 05:07 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Thanks 14+K! So you think the possible "rhubarb" is a weed? haha shows how much I know!
It's raining now so I will have to wait to check on the ones mixed in with the lilies- they are in there thick!
Any tools/ advice on how to rip out tough weeds??

I think it's a plantain weed. Actually, if you have an ingrown toenail that is infected the old wives tale says to take one of the leaves, boil it, and wrap it around the toe. For some reason every time I see that plant that is what I think of. My mom told me that when I was a kid.
I googled it to see if it looked like I remembered.
http://images.google.ca/images?gbv=2...n+weed&spell=1

I love the garden claw! It turns soil pretty easily and can take out quite a few weeds at a time. Of course sometimes when you are pulling weeds you need plain old muscles and a shovel for the ones with really deep roots.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Molly's mama

a ha! I think you are right about the Plantain 14+. from now on I will always associate it with ingrown toenails!
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:16 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Oy! 14+! I just planted some anise hyssop this year ... for the lovely aroma Have I just introduced a monster into my well garden?

No hazel. Anise hyssop is an entirely different plant. There are tons of cultivars for hyssop. I have agastache in my gardens. I love it! Most people hate it. Just love the smell. Very earthy, smoky smell.
The one I'm talking about being hard to get rid of is this one......

http://www.familyherbalremedies.com/hyssop.html

It sets root really deeply and travels underground. At least in my gardens it does. It's great in a spot you want something in but you don't want to worry about it.

Old June 29th, 2009, 05:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I've never seen that one before, 14+. Whew! So I should be safe with my licorice-smelling hyssup!

Old June 29th, 2009, 05:26 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
a ha! I think you are right about the Plantain 14+. from now on I will always associate it with ingrown toenails!
Sorry. But if you ever have an ingrown toenail you know what to look for now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I've never seen that one before, 14+. Whew! So I should be safe with my licorice-smelling hyssup!
Yep. I, on the other hand..... :sad:

Old June 29th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Garden nut

I love your wild flower field thing going on there! If they complain that it's an "eyesore" tell them you are into conservation and the meadow is to feed bees and rare butterflies! Then after everything has bloomed and seeded, get a weed whacker and mow it down. That's how they maintain wild flower meadows anyway.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Molly's mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
I love your wild flower field thing going on there! If they complain that it's an "eyesore" tell them you are into conservation and the meadow is to feed bees and rare butterflies! Then after everything has bloomed and seeded, get a weed whacker and mow it down. That's how they maintain wild flower meadows anyway.
Good idea Ceara... I will push it and see how long I can let it grow before I get a "warning"!!
Old June 30th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Senior Contributor

One I think is Phlox, and the reddish little flowered ones are what are called Indian Paintbrush I believe.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 4th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Molly's mama

Question Some more for ya....

Thanks for all the expertise, guys!
I have a few more for ya to solve!!
1, 2 same plant... any ideas??
3 is this little patch of grass a part of the flower? Sorry its blurry, almost looks like a tiny poppy!
Attached Images

Old July 4th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Molly's mama

a few more...
1. The Tiger Lily is getting bigger! When it blooms it is going to be spectacular!!!
2. little Mr.Bug on the Tiger Lily bud
3. Is this a Tiger Lily too? Or maybe a Day Lily?
Attached Images

Old July 4th, 2009, 10:00 AM
150% PRO S/N

First two look like Dianthus or Carnation. Third looks like thrift. The first one is about to bloom. When it does take a pic of the flower please. The thrift looks like it is about to bloom too. It should have a very pretty pink flower on it. Thrifts do not like to be too wet. You can almost ignore them and they do their best.

Old July 4th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Molly's mama

1. I relocated my hummingbird feeder to a pine tree after seeing Hazel's pictures, but haven't seen one bird yet. Mysteriously, the food seems to be going... could it be due to this visitor!?!?
2. All the purple asters are opening up, I love the colours!
3. this vine is aggressive!!! It looks like a tree, but it's actually a vine covering an old laundry line pole. We are going to have the whole thing PTS very soon
Attached Images

Old July 4th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Molly's mama

and finally... a silly Molly sequence, she is obsessed with the hose and pretty much wants to kill it!
I don't play this game very often, she gets to obsessed, but I had to get some pics!
Attached Images

Old July 4th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Molly's mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
First two look like Dianthus or Carnation. Third looks like thrift. The first one is about to bloom. When it does take a pic of the flower please. The thrift looks like it is about to bloom too. It should have a very pretty pink flower on it. Thrifts do not like to be too wet. You can almost ignore them and they do their best.
You are right, that does look a lot like Carnation. I will be sure to take a pic for you! and I Googled Thrift, the grassy base is a give-away. Looks like a pretty little flower! Thanks!
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Oh Mollywog you are so lucky to have all those beautiful flowers. All I had when I moved in was weeds

Now thanks to all my friends I have lots of flowers. Winston keeps a steady stream of plants coming my way. She really does have a green thumb. Me, not so much. But I keep trying and have had some success in the last couple of years.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful plants with us.

Now Molly reminds me of my guys. Also, our first dog 30 years ago loved the hose the way Molly does. That is the reason I had my fist dog bite. One day DH had cut the grass, long before the mulchers were invented. My feet were covered in grass, so I got the hose and was hosing the grass off my feet. Need I say the rest She was going for the water not my foot. To this day I am very careful with hose around my guys as I have one that loves the hose and will do anything to get to it.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Mollywog I finally looked in the garden and the purple flower is called Fleabane..thats what my tag on it says anyway...looks just like yours! if you google it you will see similiar pics!

Awe Molly loving the hose! she is too cute!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Molly's mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Mollywog I finally looked in the garden and the purple flower is called Fleabane..thats what my tag on it says anyway...looks just like yours! if you google it you will see similiar pics!
Are you sure it's not Purple Aster? I Googled Fleabane and the petals look too delicate....