Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 29th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I don't think you can prepare. It's hard but you'll know what to do. Because you love Molly so much.
Eeeee gawd, I get all weepy just thinking about it :sad: (don't worry, Molly is out snoozing on the porch, no weeping in front of her ) I guess I get alot of "practice" with the moment.... good or bad, that's the sad reality of it :sad: Sometimes I think I should never leave her side... but i'm not sure that is really good for either of us

OK!! Gotta put on my cheery face no reason to be sad now
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter
Ziggy

You showed such compassion and love for your little one, letting them go in peace and comfort while he still remembered what living was all about

thank you so much for sharing your story with me... I know sharing can be painful but I am truly grateful

I'd be curious to know a little more about how feeding went with your Ziggy, if you are ok with sharing a bit more... did Lymphoma affect appetite, cause nausea? I'm really struggling with diet these days ... the vet is not much help in this area. Supplements etc. are troubling cause it's hard enough to get her to eat, if I "contaminate" the food in anyway she looks at me like i'm trying to poison her I want to get the best I can into her but it is critical to me that she keep eating something... right now she eats ONLY meat
I'm not sure if it was the lymphoma that affected Ziggy's appetite, but it was a real struggle to find things for him to eat. I was buying frozen raw food, which I cooked for him. We started with lamb and he just loved it. Within a couple of days, he wouldn't touch it. So I switched to chicken and so on. Later I realized that he was probably really nauseous and developing food aversions thinking that the new food was what made him feel sick. He did have a tumour in his abdomen which may have been causing the nausea or it could have been the lymphoma. I'm not really sure. I just did what you're doing now - trying to find something that he was willing to eat. We started with canned food - EVO is great and very low carb and when he went off that, we went to RAW, etc. By the end it was hard to entice him with anything.
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdick View Post
I'm not sure if it was the lymphoma that affected Ziggy's appetite, but it was a real struggle to find things for him to eat. I was buying frozen raw food, which I cooked for him. We started with lamb and he just loved it. Within a couple of days, he wouldn't touch it. So I switched to chicken and so on. Later I realized that he was probably really nauseous and developing food aversions thinking that the new food was what made him feel sick. He did have a tumour in his abdomen which may have been causing the nausea or it could have been the lymphoma. I'm not really sure. I just did what you're doing now - trying to find something that he was willing to eat. We started with canned food - EVO is great and very low carb and when he went off that, we went to RAW, etc. By the end it was hard to entice him with anything.
thanks kdick! How did you manage with the Chinese herbs etc. - did you pill him with them or hide them in food somehow?
Funny, Molly won't look at EVO now, though it was one of her favs before diagnosis. Right now Tripet is the only one she considers every once in a while. I learned that, like people, they associate foods with not feeling good.. so if she ate something and felt bad she won't want to eat it again. I also feed her in different bowl, in different places, etc. so she doesn't associate things that way either.
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:58 PM

I had to put the herbs and other supplements in the food. It was all powdered. I guess we could have tried to get those gel things but I somehow don't think I would have wanted to stress him by shoving capsules down his throat every day. At any rate, even though I couldn't guarantee he'd get a full dose every day, it seemed the least invasive way of giving the stuff to him.
Old December 30th, 2008, 12:01 AM

I just had another thought. I didn't try this, but I suppose you could give her small amounts of food periodically, making it seem like treats. Who knows - tiny amounts might not trigger the nausea.
Old December 30th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post

I think one of the hardest things to deal with is the fact that there may not be a "when" moment... this is a silent killer, often, it just "happens" ... for some reason that makes it hard for me to deal with though it's really the best way, no trauma of vets, etc. sleep just takes them away :sad:. For me very hard, for Molly peace
I'm sooooo struggling with how do I prepare myself for that moment. I try and plan out what i'm going to do, where will I take her, but I know every time I come up to her and she's sleeping deeply and unresponsive my heart stops.
I am sure she will tell you when. She will eventually stop eating. This type of cancer is also painless, I have had many vets tell me this and after seeing so many patients with the same, I believe it to be true.
Let her eat what ever she wants to. Eating is afterall, one a dogs greatest pleasures as is playing and their family. Indulge her. She will only be happy and so will you...knowing you gave your all for her comfort in this time when she needs her family the most.
After seeing so many others like this, I do believe she knows too. I have seen it on their faces when the owners and dogs come into the office. Putting on your "happy face" in front of her will be a great relief to her. I saw only grief from their eyes while the doc and owner discussed the situation. It's like they were wishing they were not attached by a leash and wanting to bolt out of the room. They know. They also understand more of the human language then they are given credit for. Dogs just don't pick up on emotions and body language...they do understand. I communicated no different with Ciara then I did a human being either stranger or well known.
I think she's more worried about you and her loved ones right now.
Liverwurst and bologna also teases the taste buds. And hot dogs (just round bologna but still fun for pups)
If she is still being funky with the eating, ask your vet about a Winstrol V injection and B vitamin injections. They really help alot and are cheap. She would feel better too.
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy Time for an update

I didn't want to let this tread go... there has been so much great info offered to me and if nothing else I can hope it will help someone in the future who is facing this terrible disease.

It will be two months on Monday since Mollys diagnosis with Hemangiosarcoma, Monday will also likely be yet another day when I face the decision of whether it is time to end the fight.
We have had good times and bad in the last two months... over Christmas holidays we enjoyed every moment we had together and had lots of adventures i'll treasure forever. I was back looking at pictures today... I remember thinking at the time how much of her life was already lost, now I can't believe how much life she had in her then. She is fading away.

Over time she is getting weaker and thinner. Dec 9th she weight 58lbs, down from 68lbs in September... on Tuesday she only was weighing 49lbs, shocking. Sigh, she literally is disappearing. Happily, she still enjoys her toys, visiting with friends and is still able to get around without trouble.

One of the hardest things I have found to deal with is the extreme ups and downs she's had. Many a night i have imagined that she wouldn't survive the night, only to find her bouncy and full of life the next morning. Each time I'm sure it is the end, she rallies better than ever. The good times are getting less, the bad worse... I still hold on with hope we might enjoy a few more treasured moments together. I know the end is near... I pray happy times are our final ones.

I'm sorry this is a rather sad testament to such a happy dog. I just thought it best to be honest.

A picture of my girl... Jan 31st.
Attached Images

Old February 6th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
The good times are getting less, the bad worse... I still hold on with hope we might enjoy a few more treasured moments together. I know the end is near... I pray happy times are our final ones.

I'm sorry this is a rather sad testament to such a happy dog. I just thought it best to be honest.
I share your prayers my friend . I don't find this a sad testament at all, I find it a lovely tribute to the deep love of a great dog and its owner as well as a tribute from the friends who care so much for both you and Molly.

I love the picture .
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Her whole life with you is a loving memory for both of you, otter. How wonderful that you've given her such a precious gift--your love, and the opportunity to return it.

The 'letting go' part is always the hardest, watching them decline and knowing their time is precious because it's short :sad:, but the sadness can't destroy the happy memories you've built together. Your shared love is what will tie you together for eternity and carry you through.

I hope you get at least another weekend of good days Give the Magnificent Molly a kiss from hazel, okay?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Last edited by hazelrunpack; February 6th, 2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old February 6th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I was wondering how Molly was doing. Good to hear she's at least still getting around and playing with her toys. She does indeed look happy in that picture. She's so lucky to have you.

Cindy
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:57 AM

Aww sweet Molly

The decision is always so hard, we are always thinking what if and if only... Take heart knowing Molly knows how much you love her & she loves you just as much

I for a happy weekend for you & Molly .

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 7th, 2009, 01:26 AM
-

Molly is your soul mate and definitely knows how much you love her.

She will let you know when it's her time.
Old February 7th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Senior Contributor

I will be thinking of you and Molly...

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old February 7th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Doggie Wench

Memories of love, and the greatness of life itself, survive everything, even the most tragic of circumstances.

All my warmest wishes to both you and Molly, Otter .
Old February 7th, 2009, 08:59 PM
You can call me DOG!

Oh Otter---what a sweet girl! Golden's are so special. We just lost our 14 Y.O Golden Angel a month ago. She had cancer all throughout. On her last day, my children, husband and I spent the entire day with her. As much as we tried to be normal--it was very difficult.

As tought as it sounds, you have to weight in the quality of life and set aside human selfishness.

Make every moment count with you, your family and Molly. Thoughts and prayers are out to you during this difficult time.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:16 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Nothing to add...... just

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 8th, 2009, 03:14 AM
-

Thinking of you and Molly, Otter.
Old February 8th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

What a wonderful picture if Molly so happy looking and photogenic,she always takes good pics.for the both of you.
Old February 8th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Otter,I have not said much,but have read everything,Mollys beautiful face brings me to tears,tears for the incredibly difficult time that is ahead for you and your family
Old February 8th, 2009, 02:20 PM

Your Molly is so beautiful. I have a suspicion that this is what took away our Golden, Zeus at 11 1/2. He was on prescription food for kidney disease and stopped eating it. Since it had helped him so much I was reluctant to feed him anything else and our vet didn't find anything wrong with him. All his blood was fine and he couldn't feel any tumour. He seemed to be feeling fine but he got weaker quite quickly (he didn't lose any weight though and that is what convinced me he had a tumour). One Sunday afternoon he just lay down and couldn't get up. It was the first time I had felt he was in pain. Monday morning we phoned the vet and he was going to meet us at our house at 11 a.m. to put him to sleep. At 10:55 a.m. Zeus lifted his head, looked in my eyes, put his head in my hands and breathed his last breath. Zeus was always a very stubborn dog for a Retriever and I think that lasted until the end. He wanted to go on his terms and he did. In the end the vet said he had probably had a very fast growing tumour that burst.
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Molly and the Family are still in my prayers.

Always.
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Just wanted to send you and Molly some and will keep you in my and thoughts.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Geek Club CEO

We're thinking about you guys.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old February 9th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:08 PM

for you and Molly.
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:41 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

I've been asked to post this for otter, she has a 4pm appt for molly to have her put to sleep, she has been declining very rapidly and Otter feels its time. Please keep her in your thoughts, it's a 3hr drive for her one way and she will be getting freezing rain at some point. Otter will post on here later if possible.
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Geek Club CEO

Otter, you're an amazing dog-mom. Molly's a lucky, lucky gal to be so cherished.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks for letting us know, Aslan.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Senior Contributor

What a sad day on pets..

it was I believe 2 months today she was diagnosed..

I dont think Molly was just Otters Golden girl but also a part each of us..

Old February 9th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

not much to say either you are in my thoughts and prayers

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007