Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old February 26th, 2013, 04:29 PM

11 yr. old diagnosed as diabetic

My Duke was diagnosed on Friday as being diabetic and also has a tumor near his liver. He also has hypothyroid. When the vet told us that he had a tumor he wanted to know if we still wanted to treat him for diabetes or leave it alone, we opted to treat him. He will not eat dog food but will eat table food. The vet said give him what he wants and make him happy for the time he has left. The vet put him on Previcox which he takes only if we hide it in something yummy. My husband is also diabetic so we use his tester but cannot get any blood from the ear so we have to take him to the vet once a week. Any suggestions on foods or medication that will help him? The vet gave us food that is high fibre but he won't touch it. Right now he seems happy but sleeps alot and I have noticed that he would rather lay in the snow and eats alot of it. The vet says that the cold may make him feel a little better. His hind legs are sometimes weak and we have to help him in the door. Is there someone here that has gone through this that may be able to give me suggestions and help me through this.
Patches - Diluted Torti 2007-2022
Old February 26th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Cathy1,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy1 View Post
When the vet told us that he had a tumor he wanted to know if we still wanted to treat him for diabetes or leave it alone, we opted to treat him.
Is he getting insulin injections? If so, what type and how much? I can't believe a vet would suggest that NOT treating the diabetes would even be an option, no matter what other health conditions there were. It'd be kinder to euthanize otherwise. Death by starvation, which is essentially what would happen, is not a nice way to die.

Quote:
He will not eat dog food but will eat table food.
Then I'd say give him table food, which may actually end up being healthier for him anyway depending on what it is. There are a shwack of recipes at these links that may help give you ideas on how to ensure they're balanced appropriately. Some recipes may be more applicable to Duke's situation than others so if there's any way for you to consult with a holistic vet, that would be ideal.

http://www.petdiabetes.com/pdorg/home_cooking.htm
http://caninesupportgroup.com/homemade_diets.htm
http://www.ehow.com/way_5626645_raw-...etic-dogs.html

Some info on the food-insulin connection: http://www.k9diabetes.com/insulinfood.html

Quote:
The vet put him on Previcox which he takes only if we hide it in something yummy.
Not sure how the tumor is affecting Duke's liver, but I thought Previcox was to be avoided when there's liver disease present: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AnimalV.../UCM050402.pdf

Quote:
My husband is also diabetic so we use his tester but cannot get any blood from the ear
Have you tried really warming up the ear first, like rubbing it vigorously for several minutes or holding a sock filled with rice (and heated in the microwave) against it? Also make sure the lancet device is on the deepest setting, and maybe try a fatter gauge lancet for a while. You also have to press the device against the ear fairly firmly, with a folded tissue on the other side of the ear so you don't poke your own finger in the process. Another place to try testing is the inner lip but doggies might not be as tolerant of that.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 26th, 2013, 08:33 PM

The vet gave us caninsulin 10mg injection and we are to give 20 units in the morning before he eats. I will ask the vet about Previcox and how the tumor is affecting his liver. It was a different vet we saw that just started working there and I don't like her. When she called to tell us about the tumor her exact words were "Do you want to treat him, take him home and do nothing or euthanize". She was very cold. The first time I took him in new vet treated him for a gum infection and said that is the reason he wasn' t eating. I told her I noticed Duke's ears were yellow looking but said they were dirty but my regular vet looked at them and said it was sign of liver a problem. He did a blood test and took x-rays and found the problem. When I talked to the regular vet I told him I did not want to see her anymore he said next time I make an appointment ask for him only and he would try to be there. He also does farm animals and house calls so he is not there very often. I will check out the websites for recipes. The vet said we could feed whatever my husband eats because he is restricted too. Right now Duke is eating rice and chicken and loves it. He does get a couple baby carrots to chew on but doesn't like them mixed with his food. The vet said his heart is strong and for the time being just focus on getting the diabetes under control. After being told of the tumor my mind went blank and didn't know what questions to ask. It's so heartbreaking to hear. I want to keep him around as long as possible. I have tried warming up the ear but still nothing. I also tried the lip but he yelps so I won't do that again.
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I would have a homemade diet prepared and balanced to help manage this. This I the nutritionist that I use to help with my dogs: http://www.betterdogcare.com/

I am not sure that a high fibre diet is really the best kind of diet, but definitely do some research on your own for that.
Old March 29th, 2013, 08:09 PM

Duke has been doing well on homemade diet. We knew he had cataracts and on Tuesday he went blind. He was having a hard time getting around the backyard but today he started following the fence line which brings him back to the door. It hurts to get that blank stare from him but he still seems to be happy. He got really excited when he went to the vets yesterday. The vet said he wouldn't be a good candidate for cataract surgery because he's diabetic and the tumor on his liver. He says if Duke is doing good it's better to leave it and not put him through the stress of surgery. He said the tumor is very large and doesn't think Duke will live past 4 months. Whether he has 4 months or 4 yrs. I' just going to enjoy what time i have left with him.
Old March 30th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry he is at this point in his life, but very glad to hear that he seems to be happy, and that he has such a good family taking care of him. Best of luck to you guys.