Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 13th, 2014, 08:16 AM

new female puppy

Hi there,

I got a female puppy (mixed) and was wondering about the whole issue of getting her fixed versus keeping her intact.

How much work is it to keep a female that goes through the menses cycles?
When would she go though her first cycle?
Is it messy? Would she have to wear pad??
is it better to get her fixed before or after her first period?

I know these sound like stupid question but I would like to get a better understanding of the whole "female" issue in dogs

Stu
Old May 13th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hi there! I reccomend spaying for many reasons. Most importantly to avoid illness later on such as pyometra. You can spay as early as 6 months and I know some vets will do it earlier.

As for the frequency of the cycles I am not sure how often. Yes it can be messy. They will have different ways of coping. Some dogs are restless, pacing, become vocal and some eagerly try to get out etc etc.

YES it is more expensive if your pet has had there first heat.

I do know some folks that used mens underwear put on backwards so the dogs tail could stick out the opening and they placed a pad inside.

I would be worried they would chew or eat it though!!

All in all I would highly reccomend a spay and there are locations now that do offer lower cost clinics but they vary depending on where you love.

Biggest reason to spay would be unwanted puppies and dont think your pup couldnt get pregnant because she can. Males will roam for miles for an unaltered female! and it can happen so quickly!!!

Good Luck

P.S how about a pic of your new pup?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 13th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

A large breed puppy in particular will benefit from going through puberty before spay/neuter in order to allow the growth plates in the long bones to close at the proper time. Spay/neuter too soon prolongs growth in the long bones which may offset joint angles and lead to orthopaedic injury in later life. There is also evidence prolonging growth in the long bones leads to reduced bone density.

My breed is Labradors and we usually recommend not before age one, preferably 18 or 24 months.

A bitch in heat must be guarded very closely for a month or more. No walks on leash around your home, some idiot out there has let their intact male run loose, you can bet on it. You can't even let her out in your own yard unattended for the same reason.

No doubt about it, you have to be much more diligent and responsible to prevent a litter of puppies. There might also be trouble getting into doggy day care, dog parks and boarding kennels.

The small amount of blood is the least amount of your worries. You can contain her to an easily cleaned floor or use the doggy panties.

For health reasons alone to delay spay/neuter there is good reading here:

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
Old May 14th, 2014, 02:31 AM
Senior Contributor

You do have to weigh against how secure you can keep her. I think it's best for them to go through at least one heat before they are spayed for health reasons, but all my females were spayed as puppies since they were rescues.
Old May 14th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Senior Contributor

If you plan on taking your dog for walks at parks it's going to hard keeping male dogs away from her.
Old May 14th, 2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
If you plan on taking your dog for walks at parks it's going to hard keeping male dogs away from her.
Well, if the male dogs are leashed and under control by their owner - it shouldn't be an issue? Although, I really wouldn't recommend taking a dog in heat out and about anyway - quick walks around the neighbourhood at most, and not places where lots of dogs may be
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Senior Contributor

If you live in my city it be would be an issue , even when dogs are on their leashes a lot dog owners has no control over their dog .
Old May 15th, 2014, 01:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Not sure that rural is any better, where dogs tend to roam more freely?
Old May 15th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Urban, rural, doesn't matter, neither has cornered the market on idiot owners who let entire dogs roam.

But for the sake of the female dog in heat you should know that it's not just male intact dogs who will react. She will smell different and any dog will react to her, girl, boy, entire or not. Most will just mercilessly sniff her butt but a few females may be aggressive, and again, females who are spayed are just as bad. The only reason the intact male is more of a problem is because he can impregnate her.

The heat in a female can last a month or more. But she is only receptive to a male for a short part of that time. Most of the time she will not welcome the extra attention she attracts from all other dogs and she'll be miserable. Or if she is confident she'll tell them off and then you and she get branded as aggressive.

Our wonderful obedience trainer encouraged everyone with an in heat girl to bring her to class, in a crate. She told us in heat girls are not supposed to be at a trial but it happens they are there anyway, by mistake or on purpose, and they drive all the other dogs nuts. She wanted us to be prepared for how our own dog would react and be able to handle him or her.
Old May 15th, 2014, 01:23 PM

Wow... this is really an emotional topic.

Thanks for the comments. I will be getting her spayed when she is about 6 months old.

Stu
Old May 15th, 2014, 11:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu1818 View Post
Wow... this is really an emotional topic.

Thanks for the comments. I will be getting her spayed when she is about 6 months old.

Stu
I guess I don't see the emotion, but a pretty good discussion of some of the issues, health and otherwise.