Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old April 9th, 2010, 02:38 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

And a nice chubby little robin relaxed on the gazebo.
Name:  IMG_0830.JPG
Views: 242
Size:  63.3 KB

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Was it cold there today, 14+? Your birdies look fluffed against the cold! Very cute! I have the hardest time trying to photograph mourning doves--they're always up in the trees in a shady spot Yours need to teach mine some proper photo-op etiquette!

Was the robin trying to gather nesting material?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 10th, 2010, 05:43 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post

I was thinking the same thing Hazel, I've seen Robin nests in the most open places.

I love Mourning Doves 14k, they have such pretty underlying colours ....sadly the other day Pepe found a dead one next to the house
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:39 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Was it cold there today, 14+? Your birdies look fluffed against the cold! Very cute! I have the hardest time trying to photograph mourning doves--they're always up in the trees in a shady spot Yours need to teach mine some proper photo-op etiquette!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
I was thinking the same thing Hazel, I've seen Robin nests in the most open places.

I love Mourning Doves 14k, they have such pretty underlying colours ....sadly the other day Pepe found a dead one next to the house
It was windy more than chilly on Thurs when I took the pics. We live on what is called a "mountain". It isn't. It's more an elevation. But it makes the locals feel important. But we get every stray wind that comes along. I thought it was rather neat to see the birds preening that close to the house.

Umm, no, not nesting there. I have a bad habit of leaving my garden plants till the spring to clean up. The birds feed on the seedheads during the winter months. What you see in the background is leftover morning glory stems. I'm sure the birds will make use of them for new nests. Last year I hardly had anything to clean up after they got through.
I love Mourning Doves too Chris. We had one die under our deck last year. No wounds so we figured old age?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:39 AM
-

Yay.....my Tree Swallows are back checking out their usual nesting box...I'd say they are at least two weeks ahead of schedule this year....Our bat colony has been on the move for the past couple of weeks too, let's hope this summer is good and hot with rain overnight
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:42 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope they don't rue getting back early, Chris! But our 10-day forecast does have us above freezing even at night! So that they find some good bugs!!

The hummers are getting closer--they really made a push in early April but then the cold snap stopped the migration in its tracks. You can see where they are here.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:49 AM
-

Quote:
I hope they don't rue getting back early, Chris! But our 10-day forecast does have us above freezing even at night! So that they find some good bugs!!

Hazel, Hazel don't go and jinx me....our supposed forecast isn't calling for minus temperatures either

The hummers are getting closer--they really made a push in early April but then the cold snap stopped the migration in its tracks. You can see where they are here.
Going by that map, they are just down the road a bit, maybe they will be a bit earlier this year.
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:52 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

One even made it into southern WI already!

Old April 12th, 2010, 09:56 AM
-

Quote:
One even made it into southern WI already!
Braggin' agin, first it was about DSL and now Hummers ....j/k
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:59 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Yep...that braggin' ol' madame hazel!

That hummer is really no where near here, though... Hundreds of miles yet to go.

I wish I'd known about the map last year--I didn't get the feeders out early enough. The hummers had to come to the window and yell at me to get crackin' at the nectar pot.

Old April 12th, 2010, 10:15 AM
-

Quote:
Yep...that braggin' ol' madame hazel!

That hummer is really no where near here, though... Hundreds of miles yet to go.

They're fast little buggars Hazel

I wish I'd known about the map last year--I didn't get the feeders out early enough. The hummers had to come to the window and yell at me to get crackin' at the nectar pot.
I didn't know of such a thing either, thanks for sharing

I was reading some bird trivia courtesy of The Smithsonian Institute:

The Red Knot Bird travels 16,000 km from the Arctic tundra to Tierra del Fuego.

Migration champs: Blackpoll Warblers - non-stop 72 hour flight from the Canadian Maritimes to South America covers 1,000 km a day ....that is equivalent to a human running four-minute miles for 80 consecutive hours............phew.
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Holy catz, Chris! Someone reported a hummer in Hudson (it looks like), which is due east of me, on the 10th! Guess I better start makin' some nectar.

Old April 13th, 2010, 09:50 AM
-

Quote:
Holy catz, Chris! Someone reported a hummer in Hudson (it looks like), which is due east of me, on the 10th! Guess I better start makin' some nectar.
If the milder weather continues Hazel, I'm thinking you will have a sighting by the weekend at the latest...so yep, you had better get to work asap. Of course ya' know the required photo is necessary just to prove it
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:55 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

We've never had hummers here before the first of May, so if they arrive in April, it'll be a standout year for sure!

And with that ol' bat, madame hazel, around, you can bet there will be pics

Old April 13th, 2010, 10:29 AM
-

Quote:
We've never had hummers here before the first of May, so if they arrive in April, it'll be a standout year for sure!

Ditto here Hazel, I've never seen them before May.

And with that ol' bat, madame hazel, around, you can bet there will be pics
It was the Ol' Bat that I was counting on, not the rest of ya's
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:09 AM
-

One of my g/f's who lives in big town has an acre of bush...these Pileated Woodpecker holes were made purely for foraging of insects...some of them are at least 4" - 5" deep

Name:  woodpecker drillings.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  44.2 KB

Look at the size of the woodchips:

Name:  woodpecker chips.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  92.7 KB
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:05 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Nice chips! Gather them up and throw them on the nature path!!! Aren't the holes impressive?

Our pileated woodpeckers are leaving evidence, too...I can see it from the edge of the woods...but I can't catch them at it--they never come out of the woods and I'm not going to venture forth into the tick-infested underbrush in a likely fruitless woodpecker safari

I really really wanted some pics of them this spring I'll just have to look at bendy's and LPs

Old April 16th, 2010, 10:05 AM
-

Her is the real big hole:

Name:  Woodpecker hole big.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  41.7 KB

and another:

Name:  Woodpecker holes more.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  47.5 KB

Thankyou Frenchy for resizing them
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:07 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Holy catz! That first one looks like the bird used an axe!!!!

Does your friend ever get to watch them in action?

Old April 16th, 2010, 10:16 AM
-

Quote:
Nice chips! Gather them up and throw them on the nature path!!! Aren't the holes impressive?

They have nature paths wending through their little bush Hazel, also a very nice pond with an island in the middle with Geese nesting, they tried to deter the couple but it was a no go, she has already laid some eggs, so they are not going anywhere soon....considering they live dab in the middle of town it's a nice chunk of nature they have.

Our pileated woodpeckers are leaving evidence, too...I can see it from the edge of the woods...but I can't catch them at it--they never come out of the woods and I'm not going to venture forth into the tick-infested underbrush in a likely fruitless woodpecker safari

They have never had a close look at the Pileated either, they can hear the banging from the house....but no good looks yet.

I really really wanted some pics of them this spring I'll just have to look at bendy's and LPs
Hard to believe that the one LP took pics of waited for her to get back with a ladder and snap some good pics, they are elusive guys as a rule.
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:19 AM
-

It is huge isn't it Hazel, I was surprised that it went that deep.....I wish I had a decent camera they get Kingfishers and a Heron/s...not sure if it is more than one....her hubby calls him Harry
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:35 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
It is huge isn't it Hazel, I was surprised that it went that deep.....I wish I had a decent camera they get Kingfishers and a Heron/s...not sure if it is more than one....her hubby calls him Harry
Yeah, but look how straight the edges are!!! Angled in like an axe cut, even!

Kingfishers and Herons, too! Definitely a nice chunk of nature!

Old April 18th, 2010, 09:24 PM
You can call me DOG!

but this is my first time venturing here.

Was going to post a question but I had to stop and look at all those holes from Pileated Woodpeckers! Holy smokes I can't believe how big the holes are. My teeth hurt!

Back to my question; I'm gonna try AGAIN to put out hummingbird feeders but I wanted to find out when is a good time? Are they migrating yet or should I hold off till sometime in May? I have Hazel's recipe on my fridge and am going to try this rather than the store bought nectar. Last year, I did see one hummer but I am being very optimistic and determined to get more this year.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I've been checking this map: http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

They're pretty close to me, so I have a small feeder out with about a half cup of nectar in it, but I really don't expect to see any till the end of the month at the earliest. The pattern of first sightings in my part of WI tells me they're following the Mississippi flyway and coming up the tributaries of the Mississippi before spreading out to the rest of the state. You'll also see that they've made good inroads right into Canada in the great lakes area. They move quickly on warm days, and then the migration stops when it gets cold again.

How close are they to you?

Old April 18th, 2010, 09:53 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
I've been checking this map: http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

They move quickly on warm days, and then the migration stops when it gets cold again.

How close are they to you?
That's just it Hazel...I don't know how close they are and when on warm days they move quick but when it turns cold...where do they go?

So I should put out a small feeder for now eh? How often do you change the nectar, everyday?

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Where are you on the map? Any sightings close to you? The dates are the first sightings only--so if I see one on the 29th and report it, a little 4/29 will go up at my location. Are there any dates close to where you live? There have been quite a few sighted in Canada around the Great Lakes already

Old April 18th, 2010, 10:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, and as to where they go, I think they just hang out. If it gets in the 40s or lower, they find a sheltered spot and go torpid. Sort of a comatose state... It lowers their metabolic needs (similar to what happens in bears when they hibernate) and they don't need to eat much.

Old April 18th, 2010, 10:02 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Where are you on the map? Any sightings close to you?
I can see my area of the map and it looks like April 6th was the first sighting. Does this mean that I should put something out now and if so, how much should I put out? I'm such a but I really love the look of these little guys and have been trying for years to get them to come.

Old April 18th, 2010, 10:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I filled one of my small feeders halfway (it's a cup capacity so it's got about a half cup in it) and hung it out. It's cool enough that the nectar should keep for 3 or 4 days, but if it looks like it's getting opaque, change it. I usually clean my feeders between fillings with a little bit of white vinegar and water, using a hummingbird feeder mop (yes, they really do make such a thing ).

Old April 18th, 2010, 10:50 PM
You can call me DOG!

Okay then....I'm gonna break out the recipe, reduce it and start this mission tomorrow.

Umh...what the heck does a hummingbird feeder mop look like and where the heck do you get one of these?