Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old June 14th, 2010, 02:15 PM

Anyone have any info on basset hounds?

My parents are looking for a laid-back, calm kind of dog, preferably a rescue. A young female basset hound has turned up in our local humane society so I e-mailed them with some questions about her but I thought I'd research the breed a little more to make sure they'd be compatible.

Parents have a huge, well fenced backyard and my mom goes on 3 mile, 45 minute walks most days of the week. Would that be enough for (most) basset hounds? I know it depends on the individual dog's needs, but in general does that sound okay?

Anything else I need to be aware of? Obviously I'll have more info once the humane society gets back to me but thought I'd ask if anyone has hands-on experience with the breed. Thanks!
Old June 14th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sure that's enough exercise. They are bit stubborn when trying to train, they like to sniff the ground (instinct). Maybe she'll be laid back when older? Very nice temperment.
Old June 14th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

There is someone on the board who deals with basset hound rescue in quebec helennutmeg do a search for it I am not sure I have the name right
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old June 14th, 2010, 03:16 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
There is someone on the board who deals with basset hound rescue in quebec helennutmeg do a search for it I am not sure I have the name right
Helen hasn't log on for a while now ... but I'm sure Chris will be able to help with Basset infos , she has a few herself
Old June 14th, 2010, 07:42 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Check your pm for the email addy for HelenNutMeg. She is the basset rescuer on Pets. I am sure Chris can give you lots of info on them as well.
I'm just wondering where people get the idea that bassets are laid back, calm puppers.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 15th, 2010, 08:44 AM
-

What can I say. they are the bestest

Regardless of what 14k says ....they are laid back, non-agressive, can be a little stubborn at times, will eat anything and everything and can be trained to sit for a treat....they are that smart like that . Love their people and everyone else for that matter

We have had Bassets living with us for over 30 years...the two with us now are both rescues: Skippy (11) from Ontario Basset Rescue and Rebel (6) from the OSPCA....There was no timeline for adjustment, both of them upon arrival, looked around, unpacked their suitcases and fit right in .

One suggestion I have is that a harness be used when taken for walks.

How old is the female in question, you say young, how young?

I can't really think of much else, if you need any info regarding care etc., fire away....We love the breed and I can never imagine not having a Basset in our life
Old June 15th, 2010, 02:02 PM

Thanks for all the info so far! Our family has/had mostly retrievers (golden, flat-coat, labXshar pei and a collie got in there somehow) so a hound would be a whole new experience for us.

I guess the biggest thing is the calmness in the house, neither of my parents are wanting a young retriever again! That go-go-go mentality isn't suitable for them at this stage in their lives. Not that the dog won't get exercise outside the house/yard, just that when it's quiet time, they want a dog that'll be happy to have a nap after a long walk.

Chris - why do you recommend the harness for walks? Um, I've read a few things and it seems like bassets aren't the most trainable of dogs...we're not looking for an obedience champ but basic pet training (sit, down, stay, heel, come) can be taught right? Is it due to stubborness/independence or...a different reason?

The basset hound we are interested in was one year old, not super young. They're heavier dogs, can they withstand rambuctious playing? Both my dog and my brother's are young, big retriever crosses...

Sorry for all the questions! Like I said, hounds are a whole new experience and I want to make sure this would be a suitable lifestyle for them.

If this dog gets snapped up, there's a basset hound rescue close by I can check out. We're definitely getting a rescue of some sort, just need to find the right dog.