Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 16th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Kitty Consort

URI Question

I brought my new cat home from the SPCA last week. On Friday he had a vet checkup and was given a clean bill of health.
On Monday, I noticed him sneezing, and so yesterday, I called the vet back for another appt. The receptionist said I didnt need to bring him in as long as he was eating and acting normally, which he is.
This was a suprise to me. In the past, I have had URI'swith my other cats and took them in straightaway, started them on meds. I didnt wait at all.

Today, still seems to be feeling fine, but this sneezng is bothering me as a risk to my other cats and dog. I dont want them all sick.

He was extremely stressed to be taken to the vet, I could barely get him in the carrier (no wonder, poor guy) I hate to put him through that again when he is just settling in nicely now, relaxing.
But how long should I give him for this to clear up?
Also, I have an un-opened seven day supply of Clavamox tablets here (62.5mg)
Could I give him these as a precaution against a worsening of this condition?
Or would it be more advisable to just monitor him closely and avoid any meds?
Thanks kindly for any advice.
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope that everything is fine. I am not sure what to tell you. If you feel that he should go to the vet, maybe insist for an appointment.

When I take my horribly skittish cat to the vet - he's the worst at getting in a carrier... I put a towel on the bottom and treats at the back. I take the carrier out the night before the vet visit and leave it sitting open on the floor, with treats in it...

Then the next morning, I put a couple more treats in the back and ignore it, then when he gets in a lies down, I close the door. Seems to work alright so far... LOL - then the trick is getting him out onto that strange cold steel table, and then back in to go home... poor bugger.
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Avoid the meds if he does need to see the vet and he gives him the same ones you won't have to buy them again but be careful about the expiry date. I would take them in with you. I would also prefer to speak to the vet and let him know you are concerned about your other animals getting sick. If he feels confident that is nothing to bring him in over. I would give it a day or two and if you don't see an improvement take him in. PS there is mobile vets as well if you think it will stress him too much to go in the carrier.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

It's almost 100% guaranteed that a shelter cat will come down with a URI, or rhinotracheitis, as your cat has. Stress, overcrowding, poor nutrition will all bring it on. And of course it's contagious.

As long as your cat does NOT have green discharge coming from nose or eyes, and continues to eat well and drink, I wouldn't worry and wouldn't take him to the vet. If any of the above happens, this indicates a secondary infection and a vet visit is required.

Do NOT give him the Clavamox if he doesn't need it.

Any other cats you have have now been exposed to the rhino, but if they are healthy adults they should be just fine as the virus runs it's course in about 10 days.
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Kitty Consort

Thanks for that info

That puts my mind at rest - I'm an awful worry wart when it comes to my animals. ( as we all are) I've been fussing about this - wanted to be sure I was doing the right thing.
I wont give him the Clavamox then. Actually, I just looked for the the expiry date on the package,and cant find one. I'm going to throw them out.

I'll just continue to watch him for the signs as you mention that would indicate a need to take him back to vets.
As my other pets are al young, andl in very good health, they should be okay.

Thanks again!