Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 13th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Chum Mum

Advice on Walking 3 Dogs at Once

We just got back from our maiden walk as trio. All in all not as bad as I expected....although at times we did look a cross between the three stooges and the keystone cops!! Trees and sign posts are fun usually two go round one way and the third the other. All three are in harnesses... chums leash is adjustable at the handle end so I can put it round my waist if needed. the other two are on fixed length leashes. Chum is a 45 pounder the other 2 are about 20 and 15 pounds. We only did about 40 minutes as I didn't want to tax Miikka and Minni as I am not sure how long a walk they can handle. Chum and I usually do a 1 1/2 hour walk at least 4 times a week, I may have to break this into 2 shorter walks a day if need be. Any pointers and tips from someone who has had experience with multiple dog walking would be appreciated.
R.I.P. Boog,Pootie, Bud & Tarkha
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I look into your soft brown eyes,
Where love and loyal homage shine,
And wonder where the difference lies
Between your soul and mine!
Old May 13th, 2013, 07:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I remember that sign post and tree situation--I used to walk two dogs at a time when we lived in the city and they did that end-around-let's-walk-mom-into-the-post routine, too! I think eventually they just all got into the routine and things improved, but I don't remember how long it took or if I had a special exercise to help in the training... Hey, what can I say? hehehe Don't get old--it does bad things to your memory!

I would like to request video of you with the Trio on a walk, however.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Try walking three that are all 60+ pounds! LOL, I feel your pain. I wish I had advice for you, but sadly I don't. We have not mastered the "group" walk yet either. All I know is when I see a post/tree coming up I tend to shorten up on the leashes so that everyone goes on the same side as me. Have you considered one of those split leash adapters you can buy. It has a metal loop with two leash ends on it. I bought one for the puppies, but they're so big now that it isn't long enough to let them move around each other with it on. Yeah we're pretty much a mess when we walk, but as a safety tip I always take my cell phone in case of emergency.
Old May 14th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Chum Mum

Thanx guys, I guess practice is the answer!! I think I will check out a dual leash. Right now with chums leash I just unclip the loop end and put it thru the little ones leash handle and reclip...so I only have one handle to deal with. The girls did learn a valuable life lesson yesterday however....when the boy dog lifts his leg to pee, it is not the optimal time to go for a sniff!! They both had to have their little heads washed when we got home!
Old May 14th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I know it's not a good idea to wrap the leashes around your hands .
I met a woman that had 2 big dogs and her dogs saw something and took off running and the woman got dragged across the ground because she could not get her hand out of the leashes.
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Ah but my dogs did that to me also several years ago. I however was adamant I would not let go of the leashes! No way I was letting those dogs get away from me. lol I ALWAYS loop the leashes over my wrist and then wrap in the hand.

Nikki has gotten his head pee'd on by Halo several times. He's always sticking it where it doesn't belong.
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Nikki has gotten his head pee'd on by Halo several times. He's always sticking it where it doesn't belong.
lol too funny!!!

I'm glad my bundles of joy are so tiny, they don't give much trouble when walking them, except Bestia always seem to be in a rush, and N always comes for walks with me, so we each gets one, much easier.

When I was a teenager our cocker female (which didn't look much like one lol) was very strong and I was very tiny, one day on a walk someone threw a ball for her, next thing you know she dragged me on the floor a few feet

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Chum Mum

Haha!! When we had our Malamute we had hiked down into a gully...my late hubby gave me the leash on the way back up so she could help pull me back up....however about 3/4 of the way back up she spotted a rabbit at the bottom, before I could get her unwrapped from my wrist she dragged me back down on my belly!!!
Dear late husband rushed down to pick me up and dust me off....just as soon as he stopped rolling on the ground laughing...it must have looked pretty hilarious, lesson learned!
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG, that's scary and funny at the same time. When my two (not the mals) took me for a drag I had been sick and I decided to walk them anyhow, one on each arm, and they saw a cat. The two hit the end of the leash at 100 mph and I went airborn with them pulling me. Fortunately they dragged me across someone's lawn, but I was laying face down in the grass with my two arms stretched out over my head being pulled by the dogs! I looked like superwoman flying across the lawn. Of course when the cat jumped a fence they stopped and I looked to see how many people saw me. Of course who would come to my rescue after watching my two idiot dogs behave like that?? I felt like such an idiot!
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
OMG, that's scary and funny at the same time. When my two (not the mals) took me for a drag I had been sick and I decided to walk them anyhow, one on each arm, and they saw a cat. The two hit the end of the leash at 100 mph and I went airborn with them pulling me. Fortunately they dragged me across someone's lawn, but I was laying face down in the grass with my two arms stretched out over my head being pulled by the dogs! I looked like superwoman flying across the lawn. Of course when the cat jumped a fence they stopped and I looked to see how many people saw me. Of course who would come to my rescue after watching my two idiot dogs behave like that?? I felt like such an idiot!
I was at the park with Marty once and saw a guy walking his dog or I should say it was the other way around. The dog saw Marty and pulled his owner right into a chain that was part of a fence , and the guy hand got hurt when it when it hit the chain. The guy when on with his walking nursing his sore hand, I bet he felt like an idiot. I held Marty back and waited for the guy to pass us and that did not help , the guy had no control of his dog.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 09:26 AM
Chum Mum

Woo Hoo!! I have solved the problem of walking multiple dogs, a triple coupler. I found this baby at Tail Blazers and it works like a charm. I attach it to Chum's leash, then hook all 3 up to the coupler. Each arm is 22 inches long which allows for some separation, so they aren't all scrunched together and can do a bit of individual sniffing about.( I do not subscribe to the "Cesar Milan" approach of dog walking, they do not have to all walk beside me, heck its their walk...sniff and enjoy)
Attached Images

Last edited by CsqU4r3d; May 22nd, 2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Three ways is great! I went with two just to give Halo a bit more "space".