Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 15th, 2007, 01:38 PM

NEw dog owner....!

Hello everyone, I'm a new owner of a 2month old Havanese!

If anyone could give me a few pointers on the puppy and care that would be great!
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:11 PM

Congratulations on your new addition!!!
May I suggest when your pup is a little bit older puppy obedience classes.
What are you feeding? If you would like any suggestions the people here are very helpful.
Good Luck
Old October 15th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Congratulations. Might I suggest that you put all Kleenex and Toilet Paper (and newspapers) - heck, anything paper out of reach of your new puppy! I read once that the Havanese breed should have "paper shredder" as part of the breed name. I met a lady at my vet's office - my age - late 50s - who had just adopted her first dog ever - a 13 week old Havanese - and yes, the pup LOVES paper. I have an Eskimo and my guy's love of paper rivals that of a Havanese. Definititely socialization and obedience classes - and watch out for separation anxiety.
Old October 15th, 2007, 07:13 PM

'Puppy school' - getting them socialized is really helpful, and they teach you some basic stuff like 'sit'.

Go through your house and take a look at it from your puppies perspective, if it is tempting to chew, move it!

Definitely obedience training when he is older!

Get lots of picture because they grow FAST
Old October 15th, 2007, 08:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Puppy will also be teething before you know it. High on my list of "must haves" for raising pups is a pair of bicycle gloves (the kind that cover the back and palm of the hand but have the fingers cut away) for those difficult teething weeks. Puppy will want to chew on everything--including its Humans. Hands are a big target--so much fun for puppy! Those gloves will be invaluable in preventing the formation of Hamburger Hands until Pup gets the idea that Mom is not for chewing!

Also for teething--dampen some old washcloths (terry cloth is great for this), wring them into a rope, and throw them in the freezer. Chewing on the frozen cloth is soothing to teething gums. Freeze a number of them because they thaw fairly quickly--and make sure you supervise carefully so no little pieces are torn off and eaten. When they get really grungy, just throw them in the wash.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 15th, 2007, 08:49 PM

Oh! Oh! I have another Get your puppy aquainted to a crate. Make the crate comfortable and welcoming and your puppy will love it!! They can in it, have timeouts, etc. Initially don't keep your puppy in it for too long!!!
Old October 16th, 2007, 09:54 AM
NOT a senior member

Don't forget your initial wellness check with your veterinarian, puppy vaccinations, as well as discussing spay or neuter surgery for when he/she is a little older. Congrats on your new baby...and please post some pics!

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......