Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 17th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Feral Cat Affection Changes After Absence or Stress?

Itty Bitty Kitty is our nearly 13 year old once upon a time feral. We've had her 12 years. From a terrified, wild as a mink creature we had to shake out of a live trap and the Vet handled with thick leather gauntlets on she has turned into a normal, cuddly, loving pet, with me. Not with strangers as I think most of you with ferals will identify with.

This did not happen overnight, again, as I think many of you will identify. But it did happen in leaps and bounds. When we got back from a vacation, when Bitty had to be Vetted, every time we got back together there would be a noticeable change in her desire to be close and affectionate and she would want more closeness.

The latest big change comes after a surgery to remove a small lump. She is now, for the first time in 12 years, demanding attention, affection and cuddles from the OH. She slept under the covers beside him last night for the first time ever. Before she would stay on my side, away from him.

It is truly remarkable how Bitty changes for the better after each episode of stress or being away from us. Has anybody else noticed this in their ferals? Or other critters?
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Senior Contributor

LOngblades,I really have no experience with ferals,just strays,but I believe in every cat there is a need for cuddles and love,many just don't know it,or never had it.

Maybe Itty Bitty Kitty is afraid she's being left,every time there is a stressful situation and she's away from home and once back home,she's soo happy she'll love everyone
Old August 17th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Many cats don't like change, even if it is for the better and they have to slowly learn that new things can be good. Then they really miss those good things when they have to go without.

Like chico, I believe that all dogs and cats love cuddles, some just don't realize it when they haven't been born having them.

You know, this would be a real good time to post some pics of Itty Bitty Kitty please.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 18th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Senior Contributor

My Vet, he of the gauntlets, also said some cats just seem to be wired to need interaction with humans. Bitty certainly seems to be one. Sadly, despite all her jumps in affection, Bitty remains quite suspicious of the camera. Point it at her and she reverts to wily, frightened, wild cat. The only ones I have of her are taken from some distance and she's black so they aren't good.

Bitty has never been boarded, we leave her here and my friend comes in. My friend has never seen any more than the tip of her tail as she runs to hide. Strangely, Bitty will only let other people see her IF they loved our dog. Bitty loved Jet. Even more strangely, that's only been 3 people and one of them really isn't very keen on cats, but he liked our dog. When we are away so is the dog so my friend has had no opportunity to really meet Bit. Funny little critters they can be, huh?