Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 4th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Ear pain

I have a terrier that has been experiencing sensitivity around the ears He does not have any odour, discharge or scratching or shaking of the head. He has been a very healthy dog (6 yrs old) and the reason he has a vet appointment today is he is getting snappy if someone touches the area. That is my que that something is going on. Are there other issues besides typical ear infections that does may experience? Any one have this happen?
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:31 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We've seen similar reactions in dogs with hematomas on the ear flap. The hematoma is a gathering of blood and other fluids between the layers of the ear flap and it can be quite painful--hence the snapping if you try to touch the ear. So the vet visit is a good idea.

Good luck at the vet and please keep us posted.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 4th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for your answer, I do know what that is and my golden has had it. This problem is very deep into the ear canal or maybe even his jaw line. Someone mentioned tick in the ear canal???
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We've never had a tick actually in the ear canal, but dawg knows we've had plenty of ticks! They don't seem particularly painful for the dog, but it there's one in the canal and it's caused an infection, I can see where that might make it very sore. Do you have a lot of ticks in your area?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:24 PM
-

Did you look in his mouth for any sores and check his back teeth? Or maybe something to do with his sinuses?

Glad you are taking him to the vet.

Good luck and please give us an update.
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Husband said no ticks in this area. Definately back molars are suspicious, although his teeth have been pearly white, even the vet said the last time. I noticed and I will tell the vet that he was yawning really big as if to clear his ears??? He is not in big pain or I would go to emerge if necessary. My appointment is coming. I wanted to see my vet that I trust instead of just anyone. So I had to wait a couple of days. I will fill you in as soon as possible.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Good news, the vet found nothing. The bad news is I have to watch for maybe some social issues he's dealing with. She did say to watch for eye sight changes.......... We will be returning to agility school and I'll watch for changes there. Ears are fine. Teeth are fine.