Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:28 PM

Question Golden Retriever DOMINANT! HELP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My golden has been kicked out of 2 different obediant classes. He loves the family, but he is very very fussy what friend of ours or stranger he allows around him. He is very 'ALPHA' and 100 pounds. He has a low growl he shows everyone who pets him but he still wags his tale but then he shows his teeth and he wags just until he'll attack. I do not trust him, for some reason he's 100% fine with 10% of strangers otherwise he is muzzeled. He does not let my 3 yr old son go near him , he is the BOSS! He loves my 10 yr old daughter but as soon as she sits on the floor he tries to 'mount her'. He is fixed?? He loves me but will not listen to me until I repeat, and repeat. He sleeps on the bed and refuses to move, you must walk over him he will not move. He is the BOSSSSSSS! He lays at my feet, yes I am mommy but he'll take his bum and push me while i;m walking across the room into the wall. He will cut me off! He is so DOMINANT! [b][b][color="Blue"][color="Black"]My biggest concern is with strangers, why is he so fussy to whom he allows in his life?? Even if he's met the same person many times he still with growl and growl while being petted? Why does he let the one in a million complete stranger pet and kiss him without even a growl? What is he thinking??? Why does he HATE small children? Is he just being protective of me? I can do anything to him he does not growl at me. Some just say he's vocal but i've seen him attack. He attacks 9 out of 10 dogs until they submit. I can;t let him run with dogs he'll kill them!! What do I need to do to help my BOY BEN????
thank you kindly,
Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Senior Contributor

He's not dominant - he is a monster!

Please don't take this the wrong way but you either have your work SERIOUSLY cut out for you or you need to put him to sleep.

First and foremost - stop thinking of yourself as his "mommy". You are HIS boss and he needs to listen to YOU.

If I were you I would do the following - in this order.

1) Put a muzzle on him any time there is a chance that he will be exposed to a dog or person that he doesn't know or if your 3 year old is in the room.

2) I would keep a short leash on him at all times so that I could correct unwanted behaviour the instant it happens.

3) Find a behaviourist that can help you get this beast under control. From the sound of your post - he is a statistic waiting to happen.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:59 PM

Unhappy Confirmation of thoughts!

I know you are right! I love him but he is my second golden and 1000 times different from my first. I do muzzle him as soon as we go out for walks and him and my son are never in the room alone. My son ignores him and he ignores my son. I will be calling someone to help me tomorrow. Thank you for confirming my thoughts!
Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:59 PM
Live well, laugh often

I totally agree with LavenderRott . How old is this dog?
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:03 PM

Unhappy He is 5

He just turned 5 and he was like this at 4 months old! Yet he sleeps with my 2 cats....and he is so loveable and silly and funny but then there is his 'other side'.........YOU ARE RIGHT, I have to act on this if I love him like I do.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
Rottie owner and lover

I agree 1000000% with what lavendarott said.
I honestly would have that dog anywhere around my child
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Ouch. I do not envy you the job of retraining 5 years of bad habits.

If you do a search of the site (Search button at the top of this page) for NILIF, it will give you a place to start. While Ben may never, ever be safe around strangers and dogs - it really is not to much to expect him to listen to you the FIRST time you give him a command.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:13 PM

Ben

If it something Ben wants or attention he'll come ASAP but otherwise he pretrends he's deaf. Our family does love him, he was like this with my daughter when she was young but as she grew older now he'll listen to her basic commands and he loves her sooo much. I was hoping the same would happen with my 3.5 yr old son. Ben has never bitten the children and now loves my 10yr old daughter, I was hoping he'd be the same as my son grew older. I DO TAKE CAREFUL MEASURES AT HOME AND IN PUBLIC...I need to fix this NOW....and I will. Thank you for your honesty....sincerely,
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Helicopter Champion

I can't add any advice beyond what the others have said, but can provide you with a couple of names of people who may be able to help:

Bob Ottenbrite of Lietash

Kim Cole of Bark Busters

You should be able to find contact info for each online. Both are in the Halifax area.

Cheers,
Gracie - 7 yr old tuxedo kitty

Monty - RIP buddy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
"If cats could talk they would lie to you"
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:04 PM
-

I would get a dog behaviourist to come to your home.