Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old May 9th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
I honestly have no clue, not sure if she's back in the country yet?? have you talked to her?
Have not and it's been a while. I do know that she is pretty active when it comes to exposing clandestine places..so I am certain that she will be thrilled to hear about this. She certainly is one person that does not mind being heard, that's for sure.
Old May 9th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

yeah its good to have people like that, I'm good (well in my own mind *L*) at organizing and getting stuff ready, but I'm a quiet person in a crowd. I like being in the background, but Beau is pushing pushing *L* I've sent her an email, hopefully if she's back she'll reply.
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:36 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
The distance factor IS VERY IMPORTANT though and imo shows a lack of concern for animals and pet owners. Not sure what else to say....
Couldn't agree more. However no animal lover would ever take on a municipal animal control contract because you would be signing perfectly healthy death sentences to hundreds if not thousands of animals yearly not to mention selling animals to labs as stipulated in those contracts that have not been updated since the beginning of time. Alana/MSPCA just re-wrote an updated contract with the city of Verdun and hopefully every borough will be forced to take care of their own AC adopting her new contract.

A perfect example is Crawford Park (average age is +80) Their animal control is with GL Canine in Terrebonne. Its' crazy to expect them to take the bus for 2 hrs and pound on the garage door to see if their lost dog is there. And then of course there is visiting hours ONLY. If you call the wife, his father or brother couldn't tell you what dog or breed had been picked up that day by Mr Blais. NO ONE is keeping track any animals lost, found or surrendered. If you have the contract you do as you wish just as we have seen with the Berger Blanc. Time to wake up Quebec!

There are several more upcoming demonstrations regarding BB. Hope to see more people there
Old May 26th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/...912/story.html

Pit bull restrictions a deal breaker for new SPCA contracts
By Max Harrold, The Gazette May 26, 2011 Comments (3)
•Story•Photos ( 1 )
The SPCA is making pit bull bans or other restrictions on the breed in some boroughs a deal-breaker in talks to renew contracts for its services.Photograph by: Max Harrold, The GazetteMONTREAL - Stray and abandoned animals in three Montreal boroughs risk being sent to the controversial Berger Blanc pound instead of the SPCA if those communities don’t ditch their anti-pit bull bylaws, the SPCA is warning.

Outremont, Lachine and St. Laurent have pound contracts with Montreal’s SPCA, where homeless pets are reclaimed, adopted or euthanized.

But the SPCA is making pit bull bans or other restrictions on the breed in those boroughs a deal-breaker in talks to renew contracts for its services.

The ultimatum comes with Montreal at a turning point on the issue of animal control.

This month, city hall announced plans to tighten animal control rules citywide by the end of the year in the wake of a disturbing Radio-Canada investigation into Berger Blanc euthanizations.

Now the SPCA is pressing its case on more targeted animal rights issues, including pit bull bans.

The boroughs of Rivière des Prairies-Pointe aux Trembles and Mercier-Hochelaga-Maisonneuve are the latest to consider pit bull restrictions.

Such bylaws simply don’t work, said Alanna Devine, animal advocacy director with the SPCA.

“It’s not about the breed; it’s the way the dog is raised,” she said. “We’re all for dealing with dangerous dogs, just not singling out a certain breed.”

The problem with muzzling pit bulls, for example, is that it reinforces the negative stereotype that pit bulls are inherently dangerous – and “the wrong people end up with pit bulls,” Devine said.

The SPCA’s contracts with Outremont and Lachine are month-to-month and could end soon, while the deal with St. Laurent has months to go, she said.

“We won’t be renewing with those boroughs” if they don’t deal with their pit bull restrictions, she said.

St. Laurent mayor Alan DeSousa said his borough’s pit bull ban “has served public safety well.”

He stressed that the borough has been a model of progressive animal control with pet licensing and catch, spay and release programs for cats.

St. Laurent would prefer to deal with the SPCA, but DeSousa gave little indication the borough is prepared to dump its pit bull ban.

In Rivière des Prairies-Pointe aux Trembles, spokesperson Marc-Antoine Pouliot said a proposal to stipulate that pit bulls be muzzled in public is to be debated by the borough council in July.

“We are doing this in response to complaints from the public,” Pouliot said. “Someone’s chihuahua was bitten by a pit bull and died.”

He added the borough will consider Devine’s arguments.

In Outremont, a spokesperson said that borough, too, would take Devine’s views into consideration.

Joël Bergeron, head of the 2,200-member Quebec Order of Veterinarians, said he is sometimes bitten by dogs during the course of his work, but it’s just as likely to be a golden retriever or poodle. He couldn’t recall being bitten by a pit bull.

“I completely agree that banning a breed won’t solve the problem,” Bergeron said. “Why punish an entire breed because of the actions of some dog owners?”

mharrold@montrealgazette.com

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/...#ixzz1NUeekbYQ
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Senior Contributor

I see what the MSPCA is saying..but it's a risky stand to take. What about then all the other animals that will be risked in the hands of a pound? Sacrifice one for the good of what exactly then?
I don't think I really support this as the fate of all animals in these borrows are at risk then.
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I agree with you BM - this is VERY tricky. But I applaud the SPCA here. If nobody makes a stance like this, things are much slower to change. I have seen the MSPCA itself change for the better so I don't mind them trying to educate the boroughs on the silliness of Pitbull bans. Given the bad news coming out of the BB - maybe a better perceived organization should lead here.

On one hand, THE MSPCAs stance is tough and DOES make the right point imo....and maybe now is the time to get that point across - (that breed bans don't work - that animal welfare is more than a place to dump a pet that doesn't suit people's needs anymore).The fact that they have incorporated that into their "mission" is very progressive and I'm impressed that they have taken it that far.

It's so tough though....because you are right. I predict some boroughs will not shy away from breed ban thinking and we know what the end result will be for many dogs and the perception of those dogs....

The MSPCA is thinking long term here (by trying to think about changing people's perceptions )and I truly hope it can work

I personally see more good in this than bad (and I sadly accept that there will continue to be sad consequences) but I would indeed support this. ESPECIALLY now that the BB is getting a bad rap....now is the time for the MSPCA and other rescue organizations to try and wake people up to better ways of treating pets and animals and speaking against pitbull bans are indeed a part of this.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 27th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Senior Contributor

So many good points you bring Marko. I am really on the fence about it however. I do understand her point, and I do applaude them as they have collectively as an organization provided good measures...I still think of all animals globally and not just one breed.

As you know I do take in the pits and therefore I am not on this 'ban the pitbull' parade. I am definately all for educating and I do not believe that this ban is effective. It is just that right now, at this turning point involving BB..is this the right time to use this as leverage?

Contracts are the meat and potatoes for shelters. Is this the right time to only eat potatoes? Not so sure. They have strategically educated one borrow...in my opinion, they can strategically move onto the other without being as radical at this point.

Don't get me wrong. I have alot of respect for this shelter.. (for obvious reasons), and I will continue to support them regardless of their decision.
Old May 27th, 2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post

As you know I do take in the pits and therefore I am not on this 'ban the pitbull' parade. I am definately all for educating and I do not believe that this ban is effective. It is just that right now, at this turning point involving BB..is this the right time to use this as leverage? ....
I think now IS the right time even if it doesn't work. Just the term pit bull ban needs to be fought by reasonable people and organizations. People should hear that well socialized pitbulls make great family pets and that they are not evil. It SHOULD come from the SPCA.

It's the ONLY (maybe not only, but good for sure) way to fight the stoopid bias against pitbulls that exists partially to sell newspapers and TV commercials. (If it bleeds it leads).

Now that some feces is hitting a fan - perfect time I think.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 27th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Now that some feces is hitting a fan - perfect time I think.
Maybe Marko. Whatever the outcome, I hope it's worth this risk.
Old May 29th, 2011, 09:46 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
now is the time for the MSPCA and other rescue organizations to try and wake people up to better ways of treating pets and animals and speaking against pitbull bans are indeed a part of this.
Old May 29th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Senior Contributor

My issue is jeopardizing ALL breeds and ALL species for ONE 'type' of dog. One must think globally rather than advocating for only one.
I get the message here...I just hope that this Ultimatum will be worth what they are trying to accomplish.

Again - we say 'educate' the public and yet the message here is 'do this or else'...
I am not so sure that this is a tactful way of maintaining contracts.
Old May 30th, 2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
My issue is jeopardizing ALL breeds and ALL species for ONE 'type' of dog. One must think globally rather than advocating for only one.
I get the message here...I just hope that this Ultimatum will be worth what they are trying to accomplish.

Again - we say 'educate' the public and yet the message here is 'do this or else'...
I am not so sure that this is a tactful way of maintaining contracts.
There's no way this is tactful I agree...and honestly that's what impresses me here. They may LOSE contracts and funding.... (though I'm fairly certain they know they will have enough boroughs that will support them)

They are trying to change things, trying to be a leader. I for one am very happy that they are trying. No one organization can change every problem - but the fact that they have added this "mission" to their policy.... wow, very impressive to me.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 30th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
There's no way this is tactful I agree...and honestly that's what impresses me here. They may LOSE contracts and funding.... (though I'm fairly certain they know they will have enough boroughs that will support them)

They are trying to change things, trying to be a leader. I for one am very happy that they are trying. No one organization can change every problem - but the fact that they have added this "mission" to their policy.... wow, very impressive to me.
At the expense of ALL animals within these borrows??? How is that fair to the other breeds and mix breeds and not to mention the cats?

They did so well with another in changing the mind set about feral cats and colonies. They have made such wonderful strides forward in educating. My issue is why go so radical now?

I seriously feel for all those 'other' animals that they will not profit from a good organization...all in the name of one particular type of dog. It just seems unjust for animals as a whole.
Old May 30th, 2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I seriously feel for all those 'other' animals that they will not profit from a good organization...all in the name of one particular type of dog. It just seems unjust for animals as a whole.
What if it sets a precedent? What if it's Pitbulls this year, Dobermans next.. and then Rotties, Danes, etc? What's the expresion.. give an inch and they'll take a mile? Some people truly believe all large dogs should be banned, not just Pitbulls. Where will it stop?

I don't think there really is a perfect answer to all this (except for BSL going away altogether, of course).
Old May 30th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
What if it sets a precedent? What if it's Pitbulls this year, Dobermans next.. and then Rotties, Danes, etc? What's the expresion.. give an inch and they'll take a mile? Some people truly believe all large dogs should be banned, not just Pitbulls. Where will it stop?

I don't think there really is a perfect answer to all this (except for BSL going away altogether, of course).
The other breeds you listed are not in the forefront...so it's not even a topic of discussion.
Your key word is 'What if'. There is no 'What ifs' for the other animals if the the MSPCA does not get their way on this one. That is my point.
Also, I will say it again...for YEARS I have been getting pits out of Ontario and therefore I am more familiar with this then people may expect. So I do not really require any education on what is happening in Ontario as I daily deal with this and help out many rescues getting pitties and amstaffs somewhere safe..and not only in Quebec.

My point is what about the other animals? The MSPCA are huge pitbull advocates and favor this type of dog in particular. I just wish more effort went into the other dogs and not just this one.

I hear your points and I appreciate them, but I do not agree with this method at all.
Old May 30th, 2011, 03:00 PM
An Honest Contributor

Re-posting Marko's link: The SPCA proudly announces the unveiling of its new animal services contract with the borough of Verdun which will be in effect as of May 1, 2011 http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76901

The SPCA will no longer offer old model animal control services!!! YAY it's about time!

1st time in history that a borough in Quebec isn't allowed to sell intact animals whether through advertisement, byb, puppy mill or pet stores. Surely Alanna isn't going to turn around and sign AC contracts with boroughs who have a pit bull ban or now trying to enforce one - just ridiculous to not only think otherwise but to place burden if she doesn't sign on WOW < --- > ref to some editorial views/comments in the Gazette that are too uneducated to post.

Look what happened in Ontario, it all started with one dog named Ziggy and one man named Michael Bryant - how is that working?

Now that the Berger Blanc has been EXPOSED, I agree 110% it's the perfect time to give ultimatum's to boroughs. Either sign on the dotted line OR face public outcry should their city re-sign or not cease using BB et pals as their for-profit pound.

Instead of wasting tax paying $ why not start banning from every single burough: For-profit pounds. Pounds/pet stores/on-line who sell intact animals. Pounds who use the gas chamber. Pounds who don't vet the animals in their care. Pounds who allow employees to euthanize healthy or ill animals. Pounds without any traceability or accountability. Pounds who don't do everything in the power to reunite lost pets with owners.

Ironic isn't it, Berger Blanc gets exposed suddendly more boroughs are considering pit bulls bans - "man vs dangerous animals" ... instead of fighting for their rights to no longer allow abusers to LEGALLY and further harm the already neglected whom BTW WE pay to do, we should be ashamed that our focus is on society's voiceless victims over the safety of humans - deflecting much?

The only one who is forcing this ultimatum is our wonderful mayor $ Tremblay $ not Alanna Devine, Director of Animal Welfare!

Quote:

and then some
Old May 30th, 2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:

+1

There's something like 3 million people in Montreal I think. MSPCA cannot serve them all and they cannot protect all of Montreal's animals....It's sad but true. Seems to me they are the largest shelter in Montreal and they are taking a good lead here. yes some animals will suffer because of this and this saddens me.

BUT.....who better than MSCPA to start a serious campaign against BSL. I hate to make human historical comparisons about oppressed people and their struggle for rights....so I won't. But MSPCA is now standing up (IMO) for animals in general even though this is only about 1 breed. LL is 100% right - when I was a kid Doberman Pinschers were the devil dogs and let's be real....there's SO many breeds that could be on this list instead of pitbulls.

All it takes is a bunch of stories to appear in the media and Dobermans could easily be ADDED to an existing ban on Pitbulls...so could many dogs.

By saying NO to BSL, imo, long term, this will have a positive effect on the perception of animals in general and will make Montreal a better place for animals.....despite the casualties which are inevitable. But that's the key here BM, long term....
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 30th, 2011, 03:17 PM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Since no one can even identify a pit every +35 lb dog will be at risk so it isn't just about 1 breed.
Old May 30th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
Since no one can even identify a pit every +35 lb dog will be at risk so it isn't just about 1 breed.
Very true. It is about interpretation once again as to what is deemed a pitbull. Pure amstaff is just that.

I do realize that I may be the only one that sees things this way. I certainly realize it is not popular, but in my mind it makes sense to save all and not just one.

My .
Old June 7th, 2011, 08:32 AM
An Honest Contributor

BB lost their contract with the Plateau-Mont-Royal - as of June 14'11 MSPCA takes over
http://www.journalmetro.com/linfo/ar...e-avec-la-spca

Municipalities with BB contract - assembly dates.
If you live in these buroughs attend and voice your concerns.
http://www.facebook.com/notes/spa-ca...29798453701719

While not perfect I'm thankful the city of LaSalle handles our own Animal Control and feel every city should manage theirs. SPA Canada is pledging public support for all Quebec municipalities to cease and abolish contracts with ''profit shelters" and is asking the provincial government to declare this industry, illegal. Upcoming demonstrations: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=113646465391150
Old June 7th, 2011, 10:16 AM

Thx for the update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
BB lost their contract with the Plateau-Mont-Royal - as of June 14'11 MSPCA takes over
http://www.journalmetro.com/linfo/ar...e-avec-la-spca

Municipalities with BB contract - assembly dates.
If you live in these buroughs attend and voice your concerns.
http://www.facebook.com/notes/spa-ca...29798453701719

While not perfect I'm thankful the city of LaSalle handles our own Animal Control and feel every city should manage theirs. SPA Canada is pledging public support for all Quebec municipalities to cease and abolish contracts with ''profit shelters" and is asking the provincial government to declare this industry, illegal. Upcoming demonstrations: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=113646465391150
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 10th, 2011, 08:53 AM

Even though we haven't published a podcast in a while, we WILL be putting one up on this topic (if all goes well) within 2 weeks.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 10th, 2011, 09:51 AM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Even though we haven't published a podcast in a while, we WILL be putting one up on this topic (if all goes well) within 2 weeks.
If you need any unbias assistance on this topic I'm available Excellent time for a podcast
Old June 10th, 2011, 10:08 AM

I really appreciate the offer GG but I already have my expert and the gist of the podcast lined up.

Thx tho
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:38 PM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
I already have my expert and the gist of the podcast lined up
I have no doubt I hope it's who I think it is Looking forward to it!

To recap: A shocking report broadcast on Radio-Canada’s "Enquête" program revealed cruel practices at Berger Blanc, Montreal’s municipal pound.

An SPA Canada investigator went undercover at the animal pound. For six weeks, he worked as a maintenance worker at Berger Blanc. He cleaned the cages, fed the animals, and even attended two mass euthanizations. On many occasions, he witnessed terrible treatment of the cats and dogs in the care of the for-profit pound.

SPA Canada is asking the public to show its dissatisfaction by attending the upcoming demonstration and by asking the mayor of Montreal to end all of its contracts with Berger Blanc and to no longer hire for-profit companies to take care of stray and homeless animals. For more information, please see the poster below for the demonstration.

Upcoming manifestation pour faire fermer le Berger Blanc, Samedi 18 Juin
(13h00-14h30) à MONTRÉAL:

Hôtel de Ville de Montréal
275, rue Notre-Dame Est
(Métro Champ-de-Mars)

Together let's denouce animal cruelty!

Feel free to print the pdf of the event(s)
http://www.bergerblanccruaute.com/pd...juin-11-bw.pdf
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:11 AM

Just as an FYI, I recorded an interview podcast related to this topic yesterday. It will be published early next week or sooner and I'll throw a link in this thread as well for anyone who is interested.

Thx!
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 19th, 2011, 02:14 PM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Just as an FYI, I recorded an interview podcast related to this topic yesterday. It will be published early next week or sooner and I'll throw a link in this thread as well for anyone who is interested.

Thx!
Thank you!

Meanwhile ... I wasn't able to attend yesterday's protest downtown but there were also 3 other ones; Sherbrooke, Ste-Adele & Gatineau

If anyone attended or has updates please post here thanks!
Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:58 PM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:

Thx!
Hey Marko just wondering if you've posted this podcast, if so where could I find it? Thanks in advance.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:37 PM

Hi members,

The podcast just went live here http://www.pets.ca/blog/pet-podcast/...n-in-montreal/

It talks about BSL in general and how it is affecting Montreal.

Although comments are appreciated everywhere, commenting directly in the blog post...is equally appreciated.

Thx!
Marko
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 25th, 2011, 01:16 AM

Quote:
ESPECIALLY now that the BB is getting a bad rap....now is the time for the MSPCA and other rescue organizations to try and wake people up to better ways of treating pets and animals and speaking against pitbull bans are indeed a part of this.

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; June 25th, 2011 at 01:45 AM.