Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old November 16th, 2005, 10:00 PM

Fundraising efforts

The case is supposed to go before the courts in May of 2006 and as you know the estimated cost is roughly $250,000 . Keep the donations coming even if it is only small amounts a little every week like $5 or $10 will go a long way to helping this cause .
After the news about 16 we read today on another post it becomes clearer that we all must stick together and fight this till the end.
Donations can be sent to any of many organizations . Including Staffordshire club of Canada , DLCC or Advocates for the underdog all members of www.bannedaid.com

Please contribute a much or a little as you can afford.

Last edited by seeker; November 16th, 2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old November 16th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I have been trying to get a fund--raiser going for this cause for a really long time. I have space that holds 160 people with a stage, beside it is an Art Gallery. I can get the artists, although we can always use more, but we need some form of entertainment and we need people to come to it. what do Toronto area people think??? what kind of an event would you like to see? Would you like speakers and stuff or would you like music and even better do you play music? Someone volunteered to DJ from this site but i have lost track of him. We can definately get an auction together. Basically I need to know, would people come to this? and would people participate in the organizational aspects of it? The Space is FREE!!!! Do people have ideas for promoting this on other sites etc.???????????? Should I post it on a more general thread. PLEASE people, I need some input, Smaller places are having really great events, and so far Toronto has done nothing. It would also be a really good forum for us to come up with positive pittie promotions, we could get the press there, Im sure, even some politicos, but we need something that looks like people really care, if its a failure we will look bad. Maybe we could do an indoor rally kind of thing. Yes we still need to donate, but events can bring in bigger bucks and give us a forum to express our uh dissatisfaction with the powers that be! We can have a donation bar...that always works...
Old November 16th, 2005, 10:29 PM

Go to the bannedaid site and let them know about the space you have also contact the clubs listed as members . I think you will have better luck putting something together with a club that is supporting the fund effort than you would here on the board .
Old November 17th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Steve Barker knows about this but as you can imagine is too busy to help. I have also spoken to Advocates but they arent local. I have been wondering if its okay to post this on the DLCC site, I am already registered there but it says its there for Harrassment Issues. I don't see a place for the administrator to ask...Should I just post it anyways, that and the pit bull co-op thing? The pit bull co-op has been founded because of harrasment issues so it relates. I could try Julie King but the thing is the heads of these organizations are sooo busy!...BTW there is also a post down a little further with the DLCC site and a way to register as a member, its only twenty bucks and a good way to help financially as well as upping the Banned Aid numbers! These posts can get lost so quickly so we have to keep bumping them up to keep them in site.

Last edited by babyrocky1; November 17th, 2005 at 06:57 PM.
Old November 17th, 2005, 08:37 PM

babyrocky1,
Check you pm's.

http://www.staffordcanada.com/images2/Order%20Form.pdf
Old November 17th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Invicta has been kind enough to pm me lots of contact people so Ill get right on that, thanks Invicta Anyone that has ideas though or wants to participate, Dont be shy!
Old November 18th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I know I saw some beautiful art work here by some of our members. I think pitbulliest? Not sure if she is the one I remember that was doing some nice artwork. We can also auction of services. go to local doggy daycares/dog walkers/ boarders and kennels and maybe they would be willing to donate some services. Or instead of auctioning we can sell tickets to a draw. Have 3 catergories where people can spend $5 , 20 or 50 and the prizes in each catergory relate to the price of each draw. Make it a fun night, cash bar, DJ, Some prizes and some speakers.
Old November 18th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

yes Pitbulliest is an artist, so am I, and Jonos wife...Also people in my building have said they would donate work..The thing is art is kind of expensive, so its harder to sell for fundraisers, but certainly we will try, I was thinking of going to the local pet stores, doggy boutiques and seeing if they would donate, Im quite sure they would. That part should be relatively eaasy, Right now its more volunteers to help in the organization and planning, as well as the entertainment that we need. I think once we have the DJ or band or whatever we end up going with we are well on our way. Im wondering though, how many people from here would be interested in attending. It would be good to get an idea of how popular this might be, ofcourse we would publisize it to all of the groups and sites but just to get an indication would be helpful....Oh and we would certainly want to be selling all the bullie tee shirts, buttons all of the fundraising items we already have! Another person from another site wants to do some bandanas!!! Im thinnking of this as kind of part rally, part fund-raiser. Maybe a few speakers???l
Old November 18th, 2005, 05:51 PM

hi babyrock,
I think a fundraiser sounds like an excellent idea, you have access to artists, if you ask around, maybe you could get some to do portraits of dogs and their owners, and they could make a donation for it, auctions often do well when offered to the right people, defenitely music and food. Free food always brings people in and if you offer doggy biscuits too they might bring their friends. I would get the word out too, Speakers Corner always shows the messages made for fundraisers.
Art doesn't have to be expensive, crafting is art too, maybe some doggy necklaces, or, you could make a table where people can make their dog a necklace themselves and they just need to make a donation for materials, you can get stuff like that cheap if you buy bulk. And getting donations from stores or what-not you could use them for door prizes. Easier for you would be to make a price to donate at the door, but if you make it free to come in you would get more people coming in.
Back to the point, I think a fundraiser is a great idea.
Good Luck!
Old November 19th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Love all creatures

Great idea debbie...I never thought of asking boutiques if they would be willing to donate...but that sounds reasonable...

What about a bake sale? I know it sounds kinda kindergartenish...but if we could bake doggy goods..we could make alot and sell them for a few bucks a package..it adds up....because debbie is right..art is not that easy to sell..people would rather buy something for 20 bucks than for 120, etc...

with that being said....papillonmama...you're right too...crafts don't have to be expensive...have any of you ever heard of that modeling play dough that you can bake and it becomes hard? I make pins and neclaces out of that stuff..its really easy to work with...stuff like that people like...if we would all chip in together and make something to donate..we'd have alot of stuff in no time...

woo hoo...excited.. *pees pants* lol j/k!

Last edited by pitbulliest; November 19th, 2005 at 09:14 AM.
Old November 19th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Love all creatures

Ohhh..maybe I can ask around at the THS if any of the staff would be willing to donate anything
Old November 19th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for all the great ideas, I think they can all work, we can use the gallery at the same time as the performance space, we can at least have art in the gallery for people to look at. I will be donating a commissioned piece and maybe a print. At the same time we can use part of the gallery for items for sale or auction, all kinds of things, whatever anyone wants to donate, its still the performance space, with the stage that we need a "main draw" Im still thinking some sort of music. I was also thinking though, that if we do do an art show, we could have the gallery for at least a few weeks, Id have to check the schedule, so I was thinking that since we want to get good press, it might be nice to run some educational seminars for free, like if we can get someone to run a seminar on Dogs and Kids, safety together! We would be educating people, and raisig our profile as a group of responsible dog owners. If we had stuff in the gallery at the same time that expressed visually, our cause, like some of the photo shop posters people have made, also we could have our pamphlets and flyers, So infact we could have a few events in the same week, building up to the fund-raising party!! I remember at the begining of all this seeing a flyer by the Rotweiller Society, Im not sure if thats the exact name, it was against BSL ofcourse but the flyer also mentioned that members would go to schools for free and talk about Safety with kids and dogs. Does anyone know anything aboaut this?

Last edited by babyrocky1; November 19th, 2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old November 19th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Love all creatures

TAS does the same thing Debbie...the Ontario Humane Society has a bite prevention program..I think I have the PDF on my computer somewhere...it basically teaches kids how to approach dogs and how to behave around them, how to act when a dog is behaving aggressively, what not to do..etc...

Its a great idea...I know in my building, alot of the kids are afraid of dogs....and the parents being totally ignorant azzholes doesn't help..but anyways..lol
Old November 20th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Senior Contributor

www.bannedaid.com has some nice things for sale to help support the battle.Several dogs have already been euthanized because of the ban,they need all the help they can get.
Old November 20th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Love all creatures

yeah and what's even worse is that all pups born after Dec 1st are to be killed...and yes I mean killed, not "euthanized".... pssh..nice Christmas gift..thanks Bryant..and a happy new year to you too!!!!!!!!!!

--

Anywho... I seriously think I'm gonna make doggy biscuits and wrap them up nicely in a cute package...I've already got a few tasty recipes what do you guys think?
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:43 AM

As part of my fundraising efforts, I'm asking everyone who usually gives me a gift to send the money to the legal challenge fund.

I'm going to do my own cards this year rather than buying retail - a pic of my dogs with muzzle and Merry Freakin' Christmas written underneath .
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:46 AM

If you have $20 to spare, join the Dog Legislation Council of Canada. It's an all-volunteer organization and all membership fees go to the legal challenge fund. Or ask someone to buy a membership for you....give memberships as gifts.

www.doglegislationcouncilcanada.org
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulliest
TAS does the same thing Debbie...the Ontario Humane Society has a bite prevention program..I think I have the PDF on my computer somewhere...it basically teaches kids how to approach dogs and how to behave around them, how to act when a dog is behaving aggressively, what not to do..etc...

Its a great idea...I know in my building, alot of the kids are afraid of dogs....and the parents being totally ignorant azzholes doesn't help..but anyways..lol
Do you think they would come to the space, or do they just do it on thier own premices. I would call myself but I know that your already there...BTW I got your Email but couldnt open the quesitons, the file? If we can get them to come to our event, it wouod be a great community service, we could get lots of free advertising and it would show people that we arent a bunch of "thugs" we really are responsible people looking for responsible legislation. So we coud have the gallery open and have the Safety seminar, maybe the day before the "big event" whatver that turns out to be. Maybe some Toronto doggie trainers might like to do a talk, we could do mini seminars throughout the days leading up to the event.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saradog
As part of my fundraising efforts, I'm asking everyone who usually gives me a gift to send the money to the legal challenge fund.

I'm going to do my own cards this year rather than buying retail - a pic of my dogs with muzzle and Merry Freakin' Christmas written underneath .
Thats a g reat idea Saradog, I don't get enough gifts to make it worth while...LOL awww sucks to be me LOL
Old November 22nd, 2005, 05:43 PM

Quote:

Awesome idea . I am sending emails tonight to everyone that we exchange gifts with.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:37 PM

Hey, babyrocky, even just one is worth it! If every person converted just one of their seasonal gifts into a contribution to the legal challenge fund, that would be marvellous!

And it's not just about Christmas...Hanukah, Ramadan, Kwanzaa, any other holiday celebration coming up....if there's a gift involved, convert it to a contribution to the legal challenge fund!
Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:02 AM

My husband and I just did a fundraiser in Sudbury for the DLCC over the weekend. If this is something you really want to do, get in touch with Lori Gray. She is their event coordinator and a super great help!

Visit the contact page on the DLCC website, you can email her from there...

Denise
Old November 23rd, 2005, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I spoke to Lori last night for quite sometime, shes very nice, anyways....Fundraiser is ON, they have a band for us...(the DLCC) I am looking at late April, so all of the ideas that have been posted so far will be incorporated, we have a band, so this week Im going to see if I can get the art gallery at the same time as the performancae space. So whoes into helping???????????LOL ThankyoU again Invicta and Dmsirou for hooking me up with Lori! I also spoke with her about the Pit Bull Coop and she felt that it was a great idea. I will be posting things on the Dlcc board, as Lori suggested, and when things are confirmed maybe we can start to cross post. The April date should be good since its so close to the court date
Old November 23rd, 2005, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Hey, babyrocky, even just one is worth it! If every person converted just one of their seasonal gifts into a contribution to the legal challenge fund, that would be marvellous!

And it's not just about Christmas...Hanukah, Ramadan, Kwanzaa, any other holiday celebration coming up....if there's a gift involved, convert it to a contribution to the legal challenge fund!
We can also do our Xmas shopping on the web sites...Im going to get BRandon some Pit Bull Gear! My friend got her daughter the I:love: my pit bull tee shirt, so cute on the wee ones!
Old November 24th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Love all creatures

April sounds like a great idea..the weather is also looking up at that point so people aren't as lazy and more willing to actually go out and participate...

About animal control..I'm not sure how willing they would be to do that...they do it for schools, but if we asked, they'd probably refuse, unless we paid them....in that case I object...

I rather do the research and WE can do the dog biting seminar ourselves as its straightforward and donate the money for the more important issue at hand....TAS are no experts, trust me...I used to work with and train aggressive dogs so I probably know more than they do..not to sound snotty or anything..but I would just be against hiring TAS as they're the ones putting our dogs to sleep in their shelters in the first place..we could use the money for something much better than them...maybe I'm being bitter, but
uhm..can we say BLAH on TAS?!
Old November 24th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Senior Contributor

BLAH BLAH BLAH TAS!

I think this sounds like a great idea. I would love to help. I am in ajax so I don't know what kind of cotribution I can make but will be available the day of or days before to help set up and execute this fundraiser.

It sounds very promising. I think also we need to pressure the media to come also. As soon as we know put the word out and then closer to the time send emails and tons of them.
Old November 24th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Love all creatures

yeah I was thinking how we would go about advertising the fundraiser..we want as many people to come out and support it as possible...I guess we'd have to make flyers...lots of em......hand em out maybe door to door even? I wouldn't mind doing it if need be...
Old November 24th, 2005, 08:32 PM

if people from this forum had access to a picture of the flyer, they could print it off of their computer, and then if everyone gave even a few a day to people they see with dogs or know who would likely support, the distribution area would be wide and a lot more would recieve flyers than just one person handing them out. I wouldn't mind giving them out to people I meet throughout the day.
Old November 25th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

A flyer is a great idea, also the DLCC is going to help us, I was supposed to go to there site but cant til next week sometime. I need to get on my computer at home to get the invite and I cant right now cuase of the art overload( Im staying away from the comp at home til I catch up on my work.) I will really need help a few days before, during and after, we have to pay a cleaning deposit so I need to make sure its clean after to get it back LOL Also if the gallery is free for April, we will need people to "sit the show. Any time people can give is MOST appreciated
Old November 25th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Should we also advertise the PB coop on the flyer? We could say presented by PB Coop, DLCC etc etc.