Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old March 24th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=Goldfields;996198]Well, here is the difference. I have been told more than once by a member of this forum that if I care about my breed I should be rescuing them, QUOTE]

It was I Golfields that made this statement. If I say something, don't be shy to say who said it. I am totally ok with that.
But I would never tell people how to spend their coin, or where to spend it. That is none of my business.
14+K for me, is in the clear. She rescues, contributes to society in a positive way. She takes in those that are turned away. Saying 'no' is like being untrue to who you are or what you believe in. Saying 'no' for her, is turning her back on those in need. It just is not possible.
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:49 AM
-

I think your mixing apples and oranges G/F. The pro-rescue / anti-BYB/ pro-spay-neuter philosophy of the vast majority of members on this board isn't really part of the equation here. Perhaps that's a separate thread for you to take on.

And you appear to be taking my comments personally ~ I'm not sure why as they pertain to the quoted comment made by 14+.
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

We can debate hot topics but Let's keep things civil please.

If comments are personal in nature please take them to PM.

Please do not respond to this statement, just continue to move the thread forward.

Thx - Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:16 AM
banned user

Back on topic....

And don't forget that we also buy vehicles based on how many pets we can fit in there, how comfy and safe it is for them and how easy it is to clean the hair off the seats/carpet....

Last edited by exkalibur; March 24th, 2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: spalleeng
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by exkalibur View Post
Back on topic....

And don't forget that we also buy vehicles based on how many pets we can fit in there, how comfy and safe it is for them and how easy it is to clean the hair off the seats/carpet....
LOL - so true! I forgot about that one.
I have one Suburu that is my 'rescue' vehicle...looks like hell, smells just as bad..but does the job perfectly. Animals are not complaining..so why would anyone else? (Except those 2 legged I truck around..)
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:16 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Ladies - I appreciate your support.
I think MX3 said it about perfectly. Someone I consider a close friend or my husband are about the only ones I would expect would have "the talk" with me if they thought I was in over my head. I just did not expect someone I don't know from Adam to make the statement that was made.
As it is, that was not necessary. I do believe I mentioned earlier in this thread that I am near full. There are a couple of cats I have promised to take in due to extenuating circumstances. Again, that is my decision. My husband stands behind me. May not be thrilled with it but he supports me 110%. I know I have reached the number of cats I feel I can care for. Remember please, there are a number of these cats that are semi feral or feral. They don't exactly need cuddling time each day. They just need a safe, warm place where they can be loved and cared for. I hope they get that here.
As for learning how to say no - I do. Almost every single day of my life. It is amazing how many people ask me if I "want" any more cats. Want? If it would save them, then yes!! Can I "have"? No. It is not feasible. I have been asked to take 8 or 9 cats at once because people just didn't want them in their house any more. She even offered to pay for their food until I told her $50 a week for the next 15 years. Then there are my co workers who think I should take the cats they no longer want. And customers - So please, I most surely do know how to say no.
Now, may we please get somewhat back on topic? I don't mind the threadjacking. In fact, I think I started it. But this other stuff is not necessary.
Thank you for letting me say my piece.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=Goldfields;996237]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post

No, BenMax, it wasn't you, or it could have been if you say so , but I was thinking of someone else.
Nope my dear...it was I. That I am certain. I take full responsibility.
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:04 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Well, here is the difference. I have been told more than once by a member of this forum that if I care about my breed I should be rescuing them, and is that not being told how to spend our money, our time, and our energy?
Umm, I "think" that may be me you are referring to? BM owned up to it but oh well, I'll take some of the heat too.
Please, please, please do not take this the wrong way. It is not meant to be argumentative but rather an observation. IMO taking back a pup that you have been directly responsible for creating, even sometimes to the point of inseminating the dog itself, is part and parcel of being a responsible breeder.
I have been told time and time again that ethical breeders DO take back any dog that does not work out or is found to have health issues. Got nothing to do with your finances. Well, not any more that ethically it should have. A dog that does not work out in one place still has the potential to be rehomed so therefore your finances should not be strained that badly. Also, an ethical breeder should make allowances for those happenings and have monies set aside. Now, that is what I have been led to believe an ethical breeder does. It's not like you should ever have to take back 40, 50 dogs if you did your work and found the best homes possible for them to start with. Not saying you didn't do that. Obviously you did as you have not said anything about having any returned. For that ummm, you get a tick of approval too.

I don't think that can be equated with someone who brings in cats, s/n, vets, etc, that they had absolutely zilch to do with creating in the first place. And, btw, if/when I do manage to find a home for a cat/kitten I do it with the understanding that if for any reason it does not work out I will always take the cat back. That is part of my responsibility I took on when I brought the cat to my home to start with.

I hope that makes sense. I also hope it is not taken the wrong way. Maybe it will help you to understand my side just a wee tad better. I hope so.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

14+Kitties is an awesome person..as are many others here!! I feel like I'm in excellent company here! So nice to hear from people who DON'T care if they're a little bit extra hairy and it's not their's! Heheh I buy clothes in colours that will show less hair Heheh That's really nice in black but do you have it in calico or black and tan?! Most of my clothes are shepherd coloured!!

I guess I am considered slightly crazy, my one sister doesn't get it. My critters don't make me any money, or give any status like her Alpacas do. They're just cats and that's just a dog. If I had my way, I'd have a few more. Love to have a playmate of the same species for Bayley. She likes playing with Noella but it's hard to get into a real wrestling match with someone 1/10th your size!! (Without getting in trouble from Mom!)
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Well, here is the difference. I have been told more than once by a member of this forum that if I care about my breed I should be rescuing them, and is that not being told how to spend our money, our time, and our energy?
[QUOTE=Goldfields;996237]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post

No, BenMax, it wasn't you, or it could have been if you say so , but I was thinking of someone else.
Nope, I think it was me

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=Love4himies;996261]
Quote:

Nope, I think it was me
Oh lordy...Maybe I am you and you are me??? What's my name again?
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

[QUOTE=BenMax;996262]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post

Oh lordy...Maybe I am you and you are me??? What's my name again?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Back on topic....

*sigh*
Sadly no we don't all do this
The large monsters I own barely fit in here one at a time lol

Thankfully we have 2 trucks that we can haul all the monsters in if need be, it just costs us double in fuel to get where we're going

I have been contemplating breaking down and purchasing a "Vanborghini" soon to better cart all the critters, but its just my nature to insist on better so it will most likely be a Yukon or Escalade
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Skylar's Farm

Quote:
Back on topic....

Add me to this category too please.
We are shopping for another used pick up truck.....the box has to be a specific size to fit our 2 tall and chubby Nubian goats.
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bina View Post
Add me to this category too please.
We are shopping for another used pick up truck.....the box has to be a specific size to fit our 2 tall and chubby Nubian goats.
..OK - you totally got me beat!
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Back on topic....

You could just buy them their own portable doggy Motel. This is my trailer but my sister is another crazy dog lady who will always be driving a Toyota van or similar because that's the only thing she can pack all her shelties, plus a GSD into comfortably. She has it set up beautifully for them.
Attached Images

Old March 24th, 2011, 09:29 PM
banned user

Chief's motel...

Name:  ChiefMotel.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  124.7 KB
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:31 PM
sempervivum

Being the "crazy dog lady" doesn't bother me so much. Its the remarks of having too many dogs (five dogs, four of which are small, is atrocious, aparently), and then when they find a stray, asking if I "want it" that bother me the most...

we had a party here and the jokes of "too many dogs" were around. Then a stray walked up to the gate. I managed to get him, bring him inside, cut off his mats and bathe him (I feel a clean dog has a better shot at the shelter) and immediately people were telling me to keep him and when I said I wasn't. They were upset at me.

???

The fact I am childless by choice makes me look even more "odd". Im not a normal person with alot of pets. I am now the "wierdo" trying to "replace" human children with dog children...
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:41 PM
banned user

What we get often from "friends" is the "how come you can't come for a few days? "....Like the cats and horses and the dogs can take care of themselves while we're gone... It does make it harder to leave home for a few days but, it's our choice and it's the life we chose... our own little paradise, away from the crazies...
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
What we get often from "friends" is the "how come you can't come for a few days? "....Like the cats and horses and the dogs can take care of themselves while we're gone... It does make it harder to leave home for a few days but, it's our choice and it's the life we chose... our own little paradise, away from the crazies...
This is EXACTLY what we always get from friends (family already knows better). Our friends keep asking us to meet up at restaurants/bars straight after work and they keep gettig upset when we say 'would love to, but we need to walk jermy and we want to spend time with him, we havent seen him in hours'.. some are really rude and respond with 'you are just obsessed, dogs shouldnt be more important than people' *khum...* well Jermy is defintiely more important than YOU!!

when Jermy was younger and we didnt feel comfortable leaving him with family members yet, we did not go to any vacations or trips without him -- our friends didnt understand why we didnt just pay 'one of those places' to watch him... Because he would be stressed and upset the whole time, thats why??!!

Our friends think we are nuts to be spending so much time and money on our 3 little fuzzbutts, but this is nothing... i tell them of the people on pets.ca that have much more and that they have fullfilling relationships and lives with their fuzzbutts, not despite them...

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criosphynx View Post
Being the "crazy dog lady" doesn't bother me so much. Its the remarks of having too many dogs (five dogs, four of which are small, is atrocious, aparently), and then when they find a stray, asking if I "want it" that bother me the most...

we had a party here and the jokes of "too many dogs" were around. Then a stray walked up to the gate. I managed to get him, bring him inside, cut off his mats and bathe him (I feel a clean dog has a better shot at the shelter) and immediately people were telling me to keep him and when I said I wasn't. They were upset at me.

???

The fact I am childless by choice makes me look even more "odd". Im not a normal person with alot of pets. I am now the "wierdo" trying to "replace" human children with dog children...
Join the club, because we're childless by choice too. And hey, a few here want me to adopt rescues too when I already battle to give my 8 dogs the life I want them to have. At least I don't think you are weird.
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Exkalibur, a lovely van! Chief is a lucky boy. I wouldn't have been game to tow anything bigger than my dog trailer to shows and for an overnight stay at a Motel or Cabin somewhere it sufficed as the doggy sleeping quarters. If I was into camping holidays(what the heck are they??) I'd be so envious.
Old March 25th, 2011, 05:21 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criosphynx View Post
.The fact I am childless by choice makes me look even more "odd". Im not a normal person with alot of pets. I am now the "wierdo" trying to "replace" human children with dog children...
and this is a bad thing why??? when was the last time the dogs asked to borrow the car,,or say they needed a PS3 cause spot nextdoor has one and so on...I do have two kids(supposedly adults now)....the dogs are seriously a better deal. Besides you can get the puppes fixed so no worries about unwanted pregnancies..
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:38 AM
banned user

Having kids does have one reward doh.....Grand kids.....That's what you use to get even....Spoil them, teach them to break their mom's rules, feed them lots of sugar, then give them back to their parents and enjoy the fruits of your labour..
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Having kids does have one reward doh.....Grand kids.....That's what you use to get even....Spoil them, teach them to break their mom's rules, feed them lots of sugar, then give them back to their parents and enjoy the fruits of your labour..
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Senior Contributor

You are evil, Exkalibur. LOL.
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:15 AM
sempervivum

hahah, its NOT a bad thing IMO. In fact I don't understand why more people don't abandon having hairless kids and have som' furry ones. More fun and cheaper..

I think alot of it may be people regretting their own life decisions, so they are projecting that onto me. I get to spend my free time with my pets, my garden and my husband...and they change diapers...yeah, Im crazy

Whats odd is I always thought I'd end up a cat person. I always wanted to have like 20 cats...instead I have dogs. I'm still young I guess, can always change "goals"
Old March 25th, 2011, 04:41 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Don't forget buy them toys with millions of little tiny parts..
Old March 25th, 2011, 04:52 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Don't forget buy them toys with millions of little tiny parts..
And be EXTREMELY noisy....
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

You two would be a mother's worst nightmare. ROFL.